Golf In Ayrshire This Thurs... Advice/Recommendations?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to be in Scotland from Wednesday to Friday, in South Ayrshire (Maybole). Was potentially looking to play golf with the wife on Thursday, but was just looking for help on a few things...

1. Are courses even likely to be open given that it appears to be tipping it down on Wednesday?
2. If so, could anyone recommend a course that's not too expensive, not long or overly hilly, and I would be able to hire clubs, as I'm not taking mine.

The wife usually wants a trolley as well so I'm thinking this might be a write-off, but I'm hoping one of you will surprise me. 😅

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
By the way Maybole itself has a council course which you can get on the same website but being parkland I imagine it will be a bit wetter though it may have dried a bit by thursday, and I've never played it and don't know what it's like.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
By the way Maybole itself has a council course which you can get on the same website but being parkland I imagine it will be a bit wetter though it may have dried a bit by thursday, and I've never played it and don't know what it's like.
We have played the Maybole nine hole course on a previous trip. My wife didn't really enjoy it, far too hilly! And we didn't get charged as the clubhouse closed many years ago apparently.

HPIMG

Visit site
All the golf south Ayrshire clubs will be open, I’m a member there. Dalmilling is still extremely wet so miss that but the rest are fine. Some work being done on lockgreen so two of the par 5s are currently like par 3s.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks both of you. Fullarton looks ideal as it's a short one, I'm going to make an enquiry with them regarding trolleys and club hire etc.

The Lion

Visit site
Irvi
I'm going to be in Scotland from Wednesday to Friday, in South Ayrshire (Maybole). Was potentially looking to play golf with the wife on Thursday, but was just looking for help on a few things...

1. Are courses even likely to be open given that it appears to be tipping it down on Wednesday?
2. If so, could anyone recommend a course that's not too expensive, not long or overly hilly, and I would be able to hire clubs, as I'm not taking mine.

The wife usually wants a trolley as well so I'm thinking this might be a write-off, but I'm hoping one of you will surprise me. 😅
Irvine and West Kilbride should be ok. Around £50 twilight. Irvine especially is excellent.

The muni Ravenspark too is decent and a mix of links/parkland, so check condition before travelling.

Another good option is Gailes Links, which is £70 a round this month and prob only an extra £20 for a day ticket.

There’s also the moorland courses around Paisley. They can be a good choice in wet conditions, but best to check first.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
After all that, we couldn't play. Wife spent too long faffing about not making solid plans and all the decent course options were fully booked by the time we tried to get on. Typical.

The Lion

Visit site
After all that, we couldn't play. Wife spent too long faffing about not making solid plans and all the decent course options were fully booked by the time we tried to get on. Typical.
There's still PLENTY of time to get on this afternoon! You've got til around 83.0 or a bit after. Just go for it!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's still PLENTY of time to get on this afternoon! You've got til around 83.0 or a bit after. Just go for it!
No honestly, they were completely booked all day. I think some of the non-links course were shut and apparently it's half term so the ones that were open were rammed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

sunshine

Visit site
No honestly, they were completely booked all day. I think some of the non-links course were shut and apparently it's half term so the ones that were open were rammed. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Half term. It’s the Easter holidays. 😬

Am sure you could have got on at Troon or Turnberry. Masters week is a good reason to spend loads of money on golf, just ask American Golf 🤣