Golf holiday advice required please

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
Hi. I am looking to go on a one week golfing holiday around 20th July. I went to Andalucia Spain inApril, had a great time and would love to go back.
I'm a little unsure if it would be too hot to do this again in July. How hot is too hot to play golf?
Has anybody played golf in Spain at this time of year and how did you get on?
if Spain is too hot at thus time of year then where is a good destination?
Any comments / advice would be much appreciated.

M1ke

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have played in Costa Del Sol in July and it's HOT! I remember taking a shower one afternoon on the side of a fairway fully clothed to try and cool down. But it was great! You can always stop the refreshment guy for a nice cool San Miguel? Expect to pay a premium for green fees.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Algarve deffo. Choice of courses is unbelievable.

went in April and was blown away.

When I go back it will deffo be the OConner and Faldo course. Stunning.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played Southern Spain at this time of year - literally just over the border from Portugal. We went on a pretty cloudy day and we were convinced to hire a buggy at the course. By the time we'd got half way down the second fairway (first was a par 3) we were massively relieved we'd taken the advice of the lady behind the desk!

Had a great time playing, but make sure you wear loose, well-ventilated clothing, take lots of water with you and hire a buggy!

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks fellas. Still desperately trying to persuade myself it'll be alright. Played today in 21 degrees which was jolly pleasant. Just not sure how doable it would be in an extra 10 degrees heat!
Don't want to build the family hol round me and my son getting two or three rounds in and not enjoying it.
Give me time and I'll talk myself into it.

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
Been in mallorca for a week and it was 35-37 degs for most of the week....no way would I want to put a shirt on in that let alone swing a club. You will have a great time at any golf resort in europe, there are plenty of up and coming places in croatia etc, just be sure to play in the early morning!

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just back from Belek last week where temps hit at least mid 30s each day. 7am tee offs and a buggy. Three rounds in a week and I was back in the pool for 1030am each morning. Nae bother.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've played Southern Spain at this time of year - literally just over the border from Portugal. We went on a pretty cloudy day and we were convinced to hire a buggy at the course. By the time we'd got half way down the second fairway (first was a par 3) we were massively relieved we'd taken the advice of the lady behind the desk!

Had a great time playing, but make sure you wear loose, well-ventilated clothing, take lots of water with you and hire a buggy!

Hire a buggy for sure....I play golf in the Abu Dhabi where summer temps are regularly 40+....so definitely hire a buggy, and wear a wide brimmed hat, drink lots of water with electrolytes (you can buy the in sachets in Boots and add it to the water) and were sun screen as getting burned adds to the dehydration and general heat stress....

You could always try further up the coast round the Murcia area and go to the Jack Nicklaus designed courses at Mar Menor, El Torres, Al Hama etc. If you buy a golf ticket they are valid at all those courses....and they are not all that bad. I go there a lot and love it and at this time of year is the low season!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played today in 21 degrees which was jolly pleasant. Just not sure how doable it would be in an extra 10 degrees heat!

It's a "different" kind of heat in Portugal/Spain/Turkey though isn't it.
Nowhere near as humid as "over here".
I've played abroad many a time and never felt too knackered to carry on, but in high temperatures over here I'm battling fatigue on the back 9 if it's really high.

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anywhere in mainland Europe is very hot at the moment and its forcast to stay that way through August. I played in Budapest on Sat and at my home course here in Czech yesterday and the temp never dropped below 37 degrees - its hard work walking round in that

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Anywhere in mainland Europe is very hot at the moment and its forcast to stay that way through August. I played in Budapest on Sat and at my home course here in Czech yesterday and the temp never dropped below 37 degrees - its hard work walking round in that

I've just come back from a fishing holiday in France and the temperature hit 38 one day. Too knackered to do anything, and that was with me already being lazy!
There was no chance whatsoever that I would have been able to pick up a golf club.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
played 3 round last weekend. 32° on friday was refreshing compared to 36° saturday and 37° sunday, headache.
i once have been to turkey in june with temeratures over 40° every day. definitely too hot for golf and i guess spain can be just as hot this time of the year but it need not to be.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jeez, man up! Haha. We play in gale force winds and rain for 9 months of the year. Go and play in the sunshine and heat.
Iv played in the algarve and Southern Spain in July numerous times and yes it's been hot, but not unbearable.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had a trip to Le Touquet in June, weather was lovely and would go back in a shot. Somewhere round the north of France, with a bit of golf, could make for a very enjoyable break but less certainty on the weather.

I think many courses in Spain reduce rates in the summer months because of the temps but it's not too bad, and you can always play early or late to get a slightly cooler part of the day.

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
welcome to sweden,,,,lovely summer climate and golfcourses,,,,greenfees is really good compared to rest of europe.....i dont think many dont realize how good golf and greenfee is in sweden and many courses are really tough and are cheap compared with many courses in europe,,,,,go to stockholm area in july and you have fine offers and challenge courses.....

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
Not long got back from villarmartin in spain. Fourth year on the bounce. Some great courses over there including los colinas, lo romero and playa la finca. Villamartin also has an excellent piazza with some great restaurants and bars

alternativeley le touquet in france is a great town, with my fav restaurant ever in it and some great courses. Hardelot being the stand out.

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
We had a trip to Le Touquet in June, weather was lovely and would go back in a shot. Somewhere round the north of France, with a bit of golf, could make for a very enjoyable break but less certainty on the weather.

I think many courses in Spain reduce rates in the summer months because of the temps but it's not too bad, and you can always play early or late to get a slightly cooler part of the day.

Did you just do le touquet or did you manage to get to hardelot?

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's comments. Found something which I think fits and offers enough flexibility if it does turn out to be too hot.
Looking to rent a villa at La Torre Golf a Resort, Polaris World, Murcia, Spain. A friend has been and recommends it as a nice place for a holiday (and he doesn't play).
Villa with pool means that wife and daughter are looking forward to it. €165 gets an unlimited weekly ticket (son much cheaper - both good value I reckon). If it's too hot and I don't play it will only cost me the price of the club hire.
Friends advice is that course is always quiet. Might get away with a late round but still humid at that time however an early morning round should be ok (and whilst I don't relish setting the alarm clock on holiday it also means it doesn't affect anyone else's holiday!)
Fingers crossed.

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are over La Torre, there are lots of better courses for the money within 45mins to an hours drive away. La Finca, Las Ramblas, La Serena, Lo Romero, Hacienda del Alamo is the best of the bunch