Golf GPS Systems

trickietree

Medal Winner
Visit site
I know GPS systems have been discussed before but I am thinking of getting one for practice only.
For that reason I wonder if any of you know if you can use them on the practice ground ie off the main course. From what i've read you can only use them on mapped out courses.
Also any recommendations on make and model.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a small Garmin hand held I bought for walking and cycling. I took it to my club and mapped all the tees and greens. Used it for a few practice rounds just to get a feel for the distances I was hitting clubs. My mates laughed, but by hole three they were asking "how far did I hit that?". Really useful when you are hitting off a different fairway to help with club selection!

Interesting exercise, but stopped after a few rounds. Not sure why you would want it on the practice ground...

trickietree

Medal Winner
Visit site
Interesting exercise, but stopped after a few rounds. Not sure why you would want it on the practice ground...

[/QUOTE]

I would use it out on my home course when practising and also for playing other courses but not in competition. Thought it would be useful on the practice ground for checking distances.
Also for trying out new clubs - drivers for instance.
Just a thought really -i'm not convinced I'd buy one yet.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I have used 1 before and their very handy. My playing partner os Saturday's has one and he tell's us how far we have to go.,

As for having one myself, I dont think I'd be bothered downloading all the different course's. I think it take's a bit of skill away from the game.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As much as a gadget head as I am how about the simple option here- a strokesaver. No more than a fiver, tell you how far you hit it, how far you've got to the green, major features etc. and only requires cubscout level map reading skills.

A few weeks back someone kindly put up a thread illustrating the development of the scoresaver over the years. An absolute belter of a thread. Run a search and you won't regret it.

Don't get me wrong, when a handheld GPS can offer me the sort of flyby that Google Earth can i'll get the chequebook out. Such a device doesn't seem to exist yet.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I used to work for Skycaddie and have the cheapest 1 of their GPS rangefinders (£130 ish I think they retail at).Good,very good for exact yardages,just to me imo a big step up from a strokesaver,with a strokesaver you pull it out of your pocket find which corresponding item you are closest to on the strokesaver and then usually pace out how far you are from it and here is your rough distance,can be time consuming.With the GPS you pull it out your pocket and hey presto there is your yardage straight away,only thing is to deduct/add the pin placement from green centre....done in seconds.That is why I cannot understand why there seems to be such a large scale no no towards them.As I say to me they are really no different to strokesavers and for that can't understand why club commitees in alot of instances do not allow them in competition.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agree with what your saying dodger. Its what has put me off getting one. Can't remember what model I tried out last year (3 I think) but I was impressed. Would use it more for away comps but you never know what club has approved and what club hasn't approved use.

I see the PGA have given approval for its use on their events. The sooner the R&A come out and give global approval the better.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
divot, I probably haven't been clear. My understanding is the R&A have nothing against the use of such devices however say they must be passed by club committee's

I would prefer the R&A to just come out and say they are ok for use, with a list of models approved, rather than have the some clubs do allow and some clubs don't allow situation.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Dont know about you but the last thing i want is some didy who couldnae hit coo on the erse wi a banjo standing there with a gps in front of me in a medal on a seterday.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What would be the difference if he had a strokesaver or no strokesaver or GPS?

As dodger points out unlike a strokesaver there is no need for pacing around looking for markings and working out what it is to front of green / middle of green - it's all there for the user. It's definately a timesaver in my opinion.

Although I don't have one I really do see the benefit of them and can't understand the reluctance to integrate them into the game.

trickietree

Medal Winner
Visit site
Personally I have nothing against others using GPS as its only the same as a caddy telling a pro what distance to hit.
In fact a caddy is more accurate cos they know exactly how far the pin is on the green.
I think it would be fun to have one even if only for practising and use on strange courses.
If any of you guys have played St Andrews old course it is very difficult to pick the right club as there are no 150 markers and the caddies aint cheap. A gps would be ideal.
Not sure whether my club have condoned the use in comps yet anyway.
Might see if I can pick upone cheap on Ebay !

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My understanding is the R&A have nothing against the use of such devices however say they must be passed by club committee's

If the R&A is happy to approve the use of GPS systems, then why should individual clubs ban them anyway?