Golf driver distance - body build or flexibility and mobility?

forexrayv1

Visit site
Do you need to be physical well built and strong to hit a driver 270-300 yards? or do you just need to be flexible, good physical mobility? Which one is it?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you need to be physical well built and strong to hit a driver 270-300 yards? or do you just need to be flexible, good physical mobility? Which one is it?
Bit of both helps definitely but The latter imo.
Timing ,tempo and hitting it in the middle of the sweet spot is everything. Assuming you have the correct club fitted.
I know a guy hits it 300yds off the tee, ten stone soaking wet.
He’s got a handshake like a limp fish. But he hits the ball as good as anyone I have ever met.

wjemather

Visit site
For 270-300 yards, good technique (which requires a little strength/flexibility/mobility) and the right equipment are the most important things. For longer distances then strength and athleticism become much more important.

That or altitude.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the main timing and tempo for me.

I get a lot of players ask me how I hit it so far with such a slow smooth swing. They do not really see what happens in the final 6" or so as the clubhead approaches the ball.

It is not as long as it used to be but still around 250 mark which is not bad for an overweight near 70 year old with a lot of physical/mobility problems.

The loss of distance in recent years I can put down to an increase in my physical disabilities, ( damage to rotator cuffs) and the fact that I no longer practice to avoid the strains on the body.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the main timing and tempo for me.

I get a lot of players ask me how I hit it so far with such a slow smooth swing. They do not really see what happens in the final 6" or so as the clubhead approaches the ball.

It is not as long as it used to be but still around 250 mark which is not bad for an overweight near 70 year old with a lot of physical/mobility problems.

The loss of distance in recent years I can put down to an increase in my physical disabilities, ( damage to rotator cuffs) and the fact that I no longer practice to avoid the strains on the body.
Do you find the smoother your swing the better you hit the ball.
I lose control if I try hit even a bit to hard.
Accuracy is the main thing for me now as getting in the rough can lead to big yardage losses.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you find the smoother your swing the better you hit the ball.
I lose control if I try hit even a bit to hard.
Accuracy is the main thing for me now as getting in the rough can lead to big yardage losses.

Generally when I want to hit the ball further I go for a wider/bigger/ longer swing. When I try to hit too hard and fast I will often get big push/fades if the legs do not stay in sync.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

All the above. Plus skill.

What is your driver swing speed?

If you want to achieve the flexibility - look at yoga and/or pilates. Learn things like Ape walks, Duck walks, bear crawls and the funny sounding yoga names.
Strength & Power - Don't try doing endless tricep kickbacks and expect good results. Compound exercises are king. I don't care if you use a Barbell/Kettlebell/Dumbell/ Resistance bands/ TRX Suspension/the kitchen sink or cans of paint just something that weighs enough to give you a workout.

Squat
Deadlifts
Overhead Press
Cleans
Snatches
Pull Ups/Rows
Loaded Carries
Medicine ball slams/throws - Or jumping.
Body Weight - Squats/Push ups/Pull ups/Dips/Burpees.

Reps/Rest times - I like a circuit style for the metabolic burn (fat loss) so I set a timer for 30 minutes, and work for 15 seconds, then rest for 45 seconds. If you want a bulk/strength program look at 3x5 or 5x5 they are very popular, Reg Park (Arnolds hero) used the 5x5 style rep/set scheme to great success.
Traditional Body building reps schemes look at 3x8 or 4x10. But then there's literally loads of methods all work on the principle of picking/pushing heavy objects off the floor.

Look at your diet if you are going to do this - Healthy Fats (Avocado, nuts, olive oil), Carbohydrates (Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Oats) Lean Protein (Chicken, Fish, Beef, Tofu, Eggs, whey) and eat your veggies (Spinach, broccoli, Cabbage, sprouts anything green and plant in the supermarket basically.)
Consistency - No use eating well one meal and then gorging on mcDees' the next, you can't out train a poor diet. Likewise with training, keep to your schedule, get plenty of rest, drink water.

Work on technique and skill (This is the bit I need to learn!) if you can swing a driver 100+mph and duff it 20 yards (Me) that's not useful.

D

Deleted member 1147

It's all about swing speed and hitting the ball out of the middle of the club.

I play with one lad, off +4, who is as thin as a lath. But he carries it over 300yds (measured on trackman).
I also play with a former first class cricketer (all rounder), who is enormous & hits it a mile, but not as far as the other lad.

Both have amazing timing, and body rotation, but are different ends of the spectrum build wise.

They both also hit the ball hard, none of this slow & steady rubbish. To hit far you need to hit hard.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's all about swing speed and hitting the ball out of the middle of the club.

I play with one lad, off +4, who is as thin as a lath. But he carries it over 300yds (measured on trackman).
I also play with a former first class cricketer (all rounder), who is enormous & hits it a mile, but not as far as the other lad.

Both have amazing timing, and body rotation, but are different ends of the spectrum build wise.

They both also hit the ball hard, none of this slow & steady rubbish. To hit far you need to hit hard.
Doesn't work for most people as they don't have the coordination. You don't hit the ball hard from the takeaway or in the transition, a progressive increase of speed in the impact zone will give best results.

D

Deleted member 1147

Doesn't work for most people as they don't have the coordination. You don't hit the ball hard from the takeaway or in the transition, a progressive increase of speed in the impact zone will give best results.

Tell that to Bryson DeChambeau