Golf Courses in and around Newcastle

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Moogie said plus maybe an idea of what the spread of golfers are like? Are you looking to be pushed or just a standard golfers weekend away? Moogie's questions are step one though.

We are ready to help as soon as know more ?

teddybear

Visit site
12 guys handicaps lowest 4 highest 12. Friday 19th June to Sunday 21st. We tend to eat and drink in the golf clubs we play when away. will be staying in the centre of Newcastle

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it a golfing trip with some partying? Or a party trip with some golf? If it’s the former then beezerk is probably not far off the mark... if it’s the latter then you’ll want to be closer to the centre, so maybe places like Westerhope, Newcastle city, one of the gosforth courses etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Beezerk has given a good list, Tyneside is a great shout and Close House is a bit of a treat so worth looking at. Cherry13's comments also make sense. I'll throw in as well:

Gosforth GC, known as The Bridle Path (may not be the toughest but it is a nice course and a good one for a trip. Also only 5 mins from the centre of Newcastle)
Whitley Bay GC (15 mins away)
Arcot Hall GC (15-20 mins away)

City of Newcastle GC would be very handy for you, close to Gosforth GC, but I have not played it so can't comment there. Someone else may help you as to whether it is worth playing.

D

Deleted member 16999

You’ve also got Newcastle United GC right in the town and others to the south like Ravensworth GC at Low Fell.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You’ve also got Newcastle United GC right in the town and others to the south like Ravensworth GC at Low Fell.

Ravensworth is awful mate, you're battling with the local chavs on their scramble bikes when you play there lol.
I'd rather play Sharpley a millions times than Ravensworth once.
Also, another trek out of town, there's Brancepeth which is lovely.
Links wise, there's Dunstanburgh to the north and Seaton Carew to the south, both solid and enjoyable courses which are very reasonable.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ravensworth is awful mate, you're battling with the local chavs on their scramble bikes when you play there lol.
Links wise, there's Dunstanburgh to the north and Seaton Carew to the south, both solid and enjoyable courses which are very reasonable.
Good options on the journey up or going home but not exactly handy for Newcastle, depending on where the OP is starting from of course.

teddybear

Visit site
We are taking the train to Newcastle, then get taxis, therefore traveling to and from courses not an issue. thank you all for the assistance.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd probably suggest
Book a stay and play package at close house, play the 2 courses there, then maybe add another course locally if required.
Some cracking prices, deals on, to stay there.
You're only a £20 taxi from there to the city centre too, 4 in a taxi, small price to pay.

If you did, then you're not too far away from matfen hall, tyneside, amongst many others

D

Deleted member 16999

Played Ravensworth twice this year, once in County Champs, Course was in excellent condition both times, certainly an odd layout when first played, but saw no signs of damage or problems with locals.
If as he says they are taking taxis to the courses, I’d consider it as a local option.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If you are taxiing from Newcastle the nearest courses are Northumberland (at Gosfort Park racecourse) Parklands, ditto (poor course, good driving range), City of Newcastle, Gosforth - Bridle Path & Newcastle United, all within a couple of miles of the City Centre.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't want to offend but I was completely underwhelmed by Northumberland GC. The views of the race course are absolutely ugly and there weren't a huge amount of interesting holes. The 'signature' hole is signature because it's a par 3 over, you guessed it, the race track. Well maintained right enough.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't want to offend but I was completely underwhelmed by Northumberland GC. The views of the race course are absolutely ugly and there weren't a huge amount of interesting holes. The 'signature' hole is signature because it's a par 3 over, you guessed it, the race track. Well maintained right enough.

Horses for (golf) courses, I suppose. I've always found it interesting & just testing enough, not too hard, not too easy. Always in tip top condition with the best greens around.

gary996

Visit site
City of Newcastle sounds perfect, good clubhouse recently redone and a good boozer across the road.
I’m a member of the bridle path also in gosforth, it’s nice enough but not the longest.
Close house should probably be a must if you’re all keen golfers. Other than that, Tyneside, weaterhope are good shouts and would add Arcot Hall to the possibles list.