Golf Course Closed again

Visit site
This morning that BBC lass was saying that we've had a month's worth of rain in the 10 days of April. That's on top of an extremely wet winter.
Nightmare! We are closed again today.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reading this thread has made me realise how lucky I am. 5 days closure since October with all 27 open other than days where coring was going on, even then we still had a full 18 open on rotation.

100%!!!!!

This thread had really made me appreciate how little my course closes and going to other courses with my society has made me appreciate how much better condition it's in for the time of year from those in the area

God bless landfill 😆

Springveldt

Visit site
The rain is mental, didn't realise it was so bad down Southampton area until my mate came up last week and was saying he been living on a canal for the past month.
Same story in the North East, just rain after rain after rain. After the rain yesterday the new residents were back on the football field this morning.

20240410_074126240_iOS.jpg

The path just further down from the field was completely underwater as well. There is concrete somewhere under that.

20240410_074317455_iOS.jpg

This was the main dual carriage way at mine that leads down to Newcastle yesterday. There isn't a burn or ditch that run near it to overflow from, I think this has all just come from the fields around it.

20240409_170404000_iOS.jpg

And someone sent me this yesterday, it's the 18th at Dunstanburgh. I think the high tide washed over the course from what I've been told.

20240409_170310000_iOS.jpg

The Lion

Visit site
100%!!!!!

This thread had really made me appreciate how little my course closes and going to other courses with my society has made me appreciate how much better condition it's in for the time of year from those in the area

God bless landfill 😆

So has your course used inert landfill to pad out wet areas and improve drainage? Or perhaps it was simply built on landfill…

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
With the amount and frequency of course closures on this thread is replicated around the UK, is it time clubs started installing golf sims for their members to use over winter months, just to give a return on investment for annual subs ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With the amount and frequency of course closures on this thread is replicated around the UK, is it time clubs started installing golf sims for their members to use over winter months, just to give a return on investment for annual subs ?
When I first joined my club four years ago we were told there were plans to install one of them. It hasn't materialised yet and I haven't heard it mentioned in a long time. 😂

ColBrown

Visit site
I see it as a case for national thinking from environmental and course design engineers to devise a strategy to take golf forward into the next century with durable courses that can be open for longer after extreme weather events.
We have seen droughts that require vast amounts of water and floods that need the same draining away, so some buffer between the two has to be engineered.
Golf course land use is not popular, but a case for better managing the land to create environmental buffer floodplains could be evaluated.

PaulMdj

Visit site
We have one, but to be fair it’s not as simple as buying a sim, you need the room and you need to make it comfortable enough for people to want to use.

We were lucky and got a grant from the EU (pre Brexit) and built an extension to the Clubhouse for ours, internal door to the bar to enable users to get drinks etc.

We ran comps over the winter when the course was shut.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Same story in the North East, just rain after rain after rain. After the rain yesterday the new residents were back on the football field this morning.

View attachment 52761

The path just further down from the field was completely underwater as well. There is concrete somewhere under that.

View attachment 52762

This was the main dual carriage way at mine that leads down to Newcastle yesterday. There isn't a burn or ditch that run near it to overflow from, I think this has all just come from the fields around it.

View attachment 52763

And someone sent me this yesterday, it's the 18th at Dunstanburgh. I think the high tide washed over the course from what I've been told.

View attachment 52764
That is unbelievable! If the 18th is under that much water then surely the 1st will be also, and the 5th?

Say that our 11th, 12th and 6th green have looked like that countless time during the past 6 months.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
On the upside...the last time we had a nicely wet spring, similar to what we are experiencing now, the harvest from the Cherry trees around the course was sensational. Looking forward to late July!!!!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I see it as a case for national thinking from environmental and course design engineers to devise a strategy to take golf forward into the next century with durable courses that can be open for longer after extreme weather events.
We have seen droughts that require vast amounts of water and floods that need the same draining away, so some buffer between the two has to be engineered.
Golf course land use is not popular, but a case for better managing the land to create environmental buffer floodplains could be evaluated.
We have large ponds and wet areas that all drain down to a low point. During wet weather we pump it into a reservoir that is used to water the course during summer. Last summer that reservoir ran dry and so did some of the ponds. So we installed a borehole, which hasn’t been much of a success as far as I have heard.
We are looking at extending the reservoir to double its size.

It does appear that weather patterns are changing and becoming more extreme. So clubs are going to have to find a way to manage ever more expensive and scarce resources. It won’t be long before hosepipe bans are extended to include golf and other sports facilities.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Anyone else's course still on fairway mats ?
Yes we are, and there doesn't appear to be any inclination to come off them any time soon.

I read elsewhere that E.G. were permitting them up until the end of April and after that it is at the discretion of the county.

D-S

Visit site
Yes we are, and there doesn't appear to be any inclination to come off them any time soon.

I read elsewhere that E.G. were permitting them up until the end of April and after that it is at the discretion of the county.
It is always permitted to the end of April, this year EG have allowed clubs to extend until end of May without the need to seek County authorisation.