Golf Course Closed again

The Lion

Visit site
My local moor land course which is always open have just announced that they're closing the course for 5 days to give it a rest. Majority of courses in the area are closed so I think they've been getting all the golfers from other courses playing.

I'm not a member anymore but I'm always surprised at the fuss members are making for their courses being closed after all this rain. I understand you're not getting value for your membership but surely it's better in the long run to not play it whilst it's so wet. It's hardly stopped raining in Yorkshire for probably 5 months, give or take the odd dry days.
Baildon, Branshaw or Ogden perhaps?

The Lion

Visit site
Received our monthly Greenkeepers report yesterday, in it he stated that, Covid apart, our Course had been closed for 44 days due to weather in the 5 year period 01 Oct 18 - 30 Sep 23.

From O1 Oct 23 we’ve been closed for 60 days, closed again today, make it 61.

That’s quite sad tbh. Not good at all for members, GKs and club. Which course is this?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s quite sad tbh. Not good at all for members, GKs and club. Which course is this?
Seaham GC near Sunderland, and, we won’t be the worst affected in the area either.
I'll second this. Seaham doesn't have a reputation for being soggy, it's just the weather we have had. Other NE clubs will either match those numbers or be worse. It's just been a rotten winter for clubs.

PaulMdj

Visit site
That’s crazy. Sure it can be a bit wet in places due to the peat soil type, but usually moorlands are quite well drained.

I’ve read Seaham is a type of heathland, so should be better drained than most…
It is described as heathland, but has issues in some parts of the course, we also underwent drainage work on 2 holes that hasn’t gone easy.

samthom99

Visit site
I was due to play golf in Southampton tomorrow but have given up on the idea

Was originally booked into paultons park, they were confident 2 weeks ago they would be fully open and dry

Even today there are 2 holes closed and 2 shortened

Looked at isle of purbeck but even there has 2 holes closed

@SteveW86 kindly offered us to play his club but even he suggested we give it a miss. If I hadn't already paid for the hotel I'd of cancelled the trip so instead we going to indoor golf sim to least get our golf fix

Mad amount of rain down there
We played at New Forest on Sunday morning, it was bright blue sky, a touch damp but fully playable and on full greens.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Out of our 45 holes - we've had 14 open - and even they were closed at lunchtime today. Driving around by the 5th green this evening in my way home from work, it looks like they may have cut the fairway to make another temp green - we're on 3 already.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We played at New Forest on Sunday morning, it was bright blue sky, a touch damp but fully playable and on full greens.

Looks like it's back to one temp, left all my shoes etc at home now but the sim should be worth it

Golf always looks better on a sim

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Walkers and horses will probably still walk on it 🙄
My mate is desperate to play Baildon. We had it booked as part of a trip a couple of years ago but cancelled late on because of the weather forecast and went to Kirbymoorside instead. It was a good choice, 40 to 50 mph winds and horizontal rain of biblical proportions. Two of us played, one stayed in the clubhouse and the fourth walked off the course after two holes, straight to his car and straight home. I can't imagine what Baildon would have been like up there on the moors.

From looking at pictures of the course, it strikes me as the sort of place where you are either on the fairway or you have lost your ball.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate is desperate to play Baildon. We had it booked as part of a trip a couple of years ago but cancelled late on because of the weather forecast and went to Kirbymoorside instead. It was a good choice, 40 to 50 mph winds and horizontal rain of biblical proportions. Two of us played, one stayed in the clubhouse and the fourth walked off the course after two holes, straight to his car and straight home. I can't imagine what Baildon would have been like up there on the moors.

From looking at pictures of the course, it strikes me as the sort of place where you are either on the fairway or you have lost your ball.
It's a marmite course. I love it. I was a member for 18 months. When they grow the rough it's a very tough course but beautiful at the same time. Couple of my mates hate it.

Yes, you'll either lose 7 balls or find 7 😂

I can be calm on the first, blowing a gale on 6th and sunshine coming down to 18th. It's cheap as chips too and has a brand new clubhouse now.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Baildon. Unheard of for it to close
I played in a comp there many years ago where they closed it for wind. No one could get over the valley to the second green even with driver.

My mate is desperate to play Baildon.

It’s ok, and an experience of sorts in the summer of the rough is up and it’s windy. But not a course I would go out of my way to play.