Golf coaches

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had 3 golf coaches in the last 3 years

1st one wasn't a good coach we just ended up laughing about all time (partly bad student for just sticking with it aswell) but he always replied to me and still we talk now .. ended up a mate

2nd was very decent improved me but moved abroad and suggested I go to his colleague next

So that's where I am now with his colleague , I bought 4 lessons and boy he is bloody brilliant at teaching me.. has improved my game completely

However getting in touch with him is another matter

Few months ago trying to book the 3rd of 4 lessons took about a week to book a date in advance (didn't return my texts)

This time I messaged him last Wednesday saying looking for a lesson either Friday that week or any day next week do you have anything available?

Monday lunch I heard from him stating he was fully booked but was txting his pupils to make sure all were coming and would get back to me that evening

It's now Wednesday and haven't heard a dicky bird

Now I love the way this guy teaches me and don't fancy a change again because it's taken this long to see dramatic progress but is this right? I appreciate people are busy but it's a week since I contacted him about the lesson and not only is nothing booked I have no idea what's going on

When he said he would let me know I gave him 3 further dates I was free aswell incase it made it easier

Am I expecting too much?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If get this issue all the time with people from various walks of life, who are running businesses etc. Was phoning them all the time to harass them to take my money!!
I'd change again mate, I couldn't be bothered with all that mucking about. Just rude IMO.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If get this issue all the time with people from various walks of life, who are running businesses etc. Was phoning them all the time to harass them to take my money!!
I'd change again mate, I couldn't be bothered with all that mucking about. Just rude IMO.

That's what the wife has said! That I should find someone else (but then again the wife doesn't play golf)

Me and this guy bearly hold a convo when we are on lessons (I'm a chatter box) and we just talk about the technique and keep side talk to a minimum , the progress has been outstanding from him

I'd hate to move and go backwards!

One thing that is for certain I won't buy a block of lessons from him this time because I'd rather not be chasing him down all the time

My mate thinks as his business runs on his clients and obviously he is a busy man he should take 30 mins a day to reply to his emails and messages to make sure he doesn't neglect clients

Ironically the times he has booked me in he has phoned me at work and I've taken time out of my day to sort it all out!

Copernicus

Club Champion
Visit site
No. This is not right at all. But as you find him the best teacher why not take a diary and insist he books all the dates for the course in at once so you need not chase him? If he resists that explain he may lose you as a student otherwise.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No. This is not right at all. But as you find him the best teacher why not take a diary and insist he books all the dates for the course in at once so you need not chase him? If he resists that explain he may lose you as a student otherwise.

We normally book the lesson 4 weeks in advance which was fine but I had to cancel one lesson due to a neck injury and getting it rebooked was the tricky part when I came to trying to get booked back in when injury was cleared

(Gave enough notice like 3 days before I cancelled etc)

I would take the diary and book again but after this time I'm relucatant to book more than 1 lesson at a time so my money isn't tied up in him when he doesn't seem interested

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looked a little deeper into replying skills aswell

1st February I had a lesson booked in the afternoon

Switched a shift at work and forget about the lesson being then

This was 7th Jan so I let him know my mistake and asked to move the lesson

Txt again on 10th to make sure he had received the message he replied and said the 7th February would be available so I took it

Then I got injured 2nd Feb I let him know and apologised as this in my eyes was 2 times running I'd cancelled (even tho months notice before) and no reply

Txt again on 4th February to check he had received

6th Feb get a reply to say once I'm back from injury we will book a lesson

9th Feb I told him physio had cracked my neck and I was good to go could I book a lesson etc

17th Feb I txt again (no reply to 9th) asking for a lesson 2nd march

Got a reply saying 6th march was free instead so took that

Since then have only booked lessons via face to face

Until this situation I find myself in now

Looking back at the timeline of messages and lack of replys that is rather rubbish for someone who surely relays on people coming back for more lessons !

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A coach who replies straight away and always has loads of time slots available at short notice probably isn't a very good coach.

Does sound a bit like you were messing about cancelling lessons etc

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If he's a really good teacher then I'd probably stick with him so long as he doesn't let you down when you actually get a booking. If he is just ok as a teacher I'd look to change to a better more reliable one.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A coach who replies straight away and always has loads of time slots available at short notice probably isn't a very good coach.

Does sound a bit like you were messing about cancelling lessons etc
Not after straight away but within 24 hours would be nice

I looked at the texts again and a months notice of needing to move a lesson due to change of shift and then a weeks notice due to injury I don't think I was mucking him about just life getting in the way

I spoke to my mate who used to go a different pro down there (before my mate moved away) he said I should try his guy. Very good teacher and replied within a few hours unless he was busy or sleeping

When I showed him the texts he was shocked considering his reputation of being a good teacher

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the same issue with various tradesmen. We stick with them as long as possible if they are decent but there reaches a point where you have to say enough is enough. The guy might be a good coach but his admin and response time is amateurish. Move on would be my advice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the same issue with various tradesmen. We stick with them as long as possible if they are decent but there reaches a point where you have to say enough is enough. The guy might be a good coach but his admin and response time is amateurish. Move on would be my advice.

My mate for once came up with some sound advice

I go this golf centre anyways and their are 4 coaches

I am not tied to any as I used my last lesson (could transfer lessons anyways apparently) so he said least give his old guy a go and see how it goes for one lesson

If I don't like it then can go back to my guy but if I like it ive gained a more reailble replier

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im looking for a new coach as Ive never had lessons, got down to 12 and I know i can go lower I just need to find consistency.

The coach at my local range doesnt have the Tech that im looking for from a coach, I want to be able to see my swing and have it properly analyzed. Where do you recommend finding a coach?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The coach I've started seeing the last few months has been brilliant, has really improved my game. At the end of each lesson I always make sure I book the next one with him, or even the next two or three.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The coach I've started seeing the last few months has been brilliant, has really improved my game. At the end of each lesson I always make sure I book the next one with him, or even the next two or three.

After the last lesson I went to book another and he said give myself time for the baby to settle in (due End of June) then he would contact me in July to book my next lesson

Otherwise I'd of booked a lesson in for sure

Life finds a way of getting in the way of things

Copernicus

Club Champion
Visit site
Jates12 I highly recommend Pete Allan at Ashton in Makerfield which is drivable from you up M6. He has a teaching studio with all tech, responds to emails ( and even comments helpfully on my social media moans about my bad days!) and is known in the area as the guy to go to even from other clubs.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Life finds a way of getting in the way of things

Absolutely! Got three young kids myself, which is not conducive to playing much golf!

With my lessons, I picked a time in the week I knew I could always make it for a lesson without anything getting in the way. I'm fortunate that where I get lessons is not far from my work, so I can sneak away in my lunch hour and get one in once a week. And fortunately, my coach is usually available at this time - mostly cos I make sure I'm booked in! Got one later today actually - putting!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely! Got three young kids myself, which is not conducive to playing much golf!

With my lessons, I picked a time in the week I knew I could always make it for a lesson without anything getting in the way. I'm fortunate that where I get lessons is not far from my work, so I can sneak away in my lunch hour and get one in once a week. And fortunately, my coach is usually available at this time - mostly cos I make sure I'm booked in! Got one later today actually - putting!

thats a problem though there isnt a set time im ever free, my shifts can change at short notice depending on requirements for my skill set and only get 30 mins meal break so cant sneak off mid shift they would notice

would love to though lol

I miss my second pro , shame he had to leave the country he was brilliant at fitting me in.. even would come into work an hour early for me

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I may be the biggest wuss that's ever lived lol

Saw my pro when I go range, first person I clocked he asked about baby etc etc small talk

So I asked about lessons suddenly I'm fit in for Monday with a block of 4 booked again... lol

Wuss!

However only bug bear which I must move past is if you could fit me in Monday why not say when I text last Monday saying I can do Monday - Wednesday next week aswel if that helps

Will take everyone's advice that said bring your diary and just book the next lesson in advance then show up