Golf Club Meetings

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
Let me add some daylight against the gloom.

In early December we have our Christmas mixed Stableford, immediately followed by dinner, then the AGM. This means the meeting is well attended. Since we don't own anything (we're a hosted club at a privately owned but still 'public' course) our annual fees are low and rarely increase. AGMs last a little over an hour, I'd estimate, and are then followed by the prize giving. I've yet to see any arguments or bitching like others have described.

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm on the committee at a proprietary club, I've often been envious of the committees at member-owned clubs as they have the power to make course improvements etc. However, reading some of these comments makes me thankful that we don't have to make decisions on membership fees and categories. Maybe I should be grateful for what I have!

FWIW, if there are ten people at our AGM (not counting committee members) then it's a very good turnout. I haven't seen any heated debate at any of the AGMs I've attended.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How many members do you have?
LS can answer for himself but as someone who also plays at a proprietary club I would say that our AGM's are largely pointless and just a technical thing. We have no say over what happens at the club, the big issues, so our AGM is not as wide ranging as at a members club. The usual complaints that you get at a members club are outside the remit of a committee at a proprietary club on the whole. If you can't influence what happens in your club at your AGM then why bother going?

Apologies if I have jumped in incorrectly but I think I have captured the essence of your question and also why only 10 people may turn up at LS club.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Our AGMs are usually decent events with the odd "wally question." Private Members' Club, run pretty well. Usually 80-100 show up, (600-700 members in total) We will be experimenting with "on-line voting" for some issues this year, which caused out rage from some over 80s! But they soon warmed to the idea once they discovered that was "as well as" rather than "instead of" voting in person.

Anything with a group of retired people tends to take longer than it should... most sporting clubs or societies tend to have a diversity of meeting experience from the "really ok" to the "very very bad!"

I was once at a propitiatory club where the AGM was like a major bun-fight.... also if you have a spare evening go to a Parish Council or Local Govt Meeting.... will make the Golf Club AGM seem like a good night out!

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
Apologies if I have jumped in incorrectly but I think I have captured the essence of your question and also why only 10 people may turn up at LS club.
Well, really I was just asking out of curiosity. :)

LS can answer for himself but as someone who also plays at a proprietary club I would say that our AGM's are largely pointless and just a technical thing. We have no say over what happens at the club, the big issues, so our AGM is not as wide ranging as at a members club.
Okay now I feel I need to ask why/how is it that the members have no say over the 'big issues'? Bearing in mind the a club committee runs, or should run, a club for the benefit of the members then they ought to consider allowing voting. Of course they are effectively acting as proxies, but still.

Some issues we've recently held votes for at our AGMs:
  • Which golf course to move to (following the recent council closure of the course we were at since 1947)
  • Increase of club subscriptions (from £55 to £60)
  • A move to being an 'electronic' club (i.e some meetings or votes to be done online)
  • A vote on whether to move from our current venue to a new one, following an increase of the 7-day annual fee by our hosts.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, really I was just asking out of curiosity. :)

Okay now I feel I need to ask why/how is it that the members have no say over the 'big issues'? Bearing in mind the a club committee runs, or should run, a club for the benefit of the members then they ought to consider allowing voting. Of course they are effectively acting as proxies, but still.

Some issues we've recently held votes for at our AGMs:
  • Which golf course to move to (following the recent council closure of the course we were at since 1947)
  • Increase of club subscriptions (from £55 to £60)
  • A move to being an 'electronic' club (i.e some meetings or votes to be done online)
  • A vote on whether to move from our current venue to a new one, following an increase of the 7-day annual fee by our hosts.
It was a fair question and obviously the answer depends on how your owner treats the members. If they include the members, value their opinions, take their views into account etc then members will take a more active part. At my club the owner has a very clear way in which he wants to run the club, has very clear views on most issues. 'His view or the highway' is the mantra. Most members suggestions put forward from committee were flat out rejected, I know because I was on the committee for a period seeing the suggestions, to a point were we realised there was little point in us making any. It is his club, his business and so his decisions, he wants no external input.

Once you know that is how the club is run it is then up to you. The current owner came in 3 years ago and a number of long term members have left as they don't like how it has gone. I came when he did and so did not know the previous regime. I accept we are where we are, we as members have no say, but as long as I enjoy the course and the people I play with that is fine. If I ever decide I want to go there are plenty of other courses nearby and I would simply follow the others and take my fees elsewhere. After all, none of us are forced to join a particular club. It does mean that I don't feel any particular attachment to the club, which is quite sad, but equally I don't get niggled by any details in a way I would have done previously at members clubs.

sunshine

Visit site
At my club the owner has a very clear way in which he wants to run the club, has very clear views on most issues. 'His view or the highway' is the mantra. Most members suggestions put forward from committee were flat out rejected, I know because I was on the committee for a period seeing the suggestions, to a point were we realised there was little point in us making any. It is his club, his business and so his decisions, he wants no external input.

This is a highly unusual way to run a business. Most businesses invest a lot of effort trying to understand what their customers want.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With my locker fee (which is invaluable to store my clubs to let me go straight out after work) we are now close to £2,000 and a £90 increase. Very little has been said in terms of justification but strangely not too many rumblings of discontent either. I think now we're into renewal season it'll be interesting to see how many vote with their feet. It is getting close to that mark where I need to consider the options but some things (in my mind) like no booked tee times outside of comps, ok practice facilities, really good greens in the summer (and have been really good in between the crap weather) and a bunch of really good blokes to play with make that decision hard

Got to ask what your locker fee is.
£6 per year at my club.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to ask what your locker fee is.
£6 per year at my club.

We are £25 per year for a locker, doubt I would pay for one if it was any dearer than that as my clubs live at home.

It's just handy to have a locker when I have visitors or am staying at the club for the day after playing and want to get changed etc.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We are £25 per year for a locker, doubt I would pay for one if it was any dearer than that as my clubs live at home.

It's just handy to have a locker when I have visitors or am staying at the club for the day after playing and want to get changed etc.
Thanks. Hoping to hear from Homer as he mentioned it along with his expensive fees.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Went to my first ever one last night and that was an eye opener. So much venom let loose by some members and plenty of school yard bickering. OK it was a touchy subject (another reasonably large increase in subscriptions) but still it was not what I would call a civilised debate. Furthermore, the slow and outdated procedures to get a vote through were just mind numbing. There must be an easier system than this to get decisions made whilst having input from the club. It was a one issue meeting and it still went on for over 3 hours.
with Sleaford in dire straights down the road, you guys will pick up a load of new members this season too so will be valuable income to you guys

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks. Hoping to hear from Homer as he mentioned it along with his expensive fees.

£90 per year for the big lockers that take a large trolley bag and has a shelf for practice balls, shoes etc. Probably very expensive to most, but comparable to our local competitors but for me, it is imperative as I commute by train from work to the club and it means I can leave my clubs and all my practice stuff up there without any issues