Golf club closure

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've signed it, I used to play there when I first started golf many years ago. I smell a rat when they say they want to want to turn it into a nature reserve, it basically is that already with a big woodland area on the site. What will it have as a nature reserve that it doesn't have now, Buffalo?, Zebra?
More likely they want to close it and turn the area where the golf course is over to housing. I will try & attend the council meeting as I still live close by.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd only issue a word of warning about the petition - in that it really needs to have a predominance of "local" signatories on it. The Council, especially a local district council, won't give much credence to a petition that has a lot of "distant" signatures - ie people who they perceive to have no tangible interest in a local matter. They never do. Petitioner needs to whip up as much "local" support & signatures as they can.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'd only issue a word of warning about the petition - in that it really needs to have a predominance of "local" signatories on it. The Council, especially a local district council, won't give much credence to a petition that has a lot of "distant" signatures - ie people who they perceive to have no tangible interest in a local matter. They never do. Petitioner needs to whip up as much "local" support & signatures as they can.

As you point out, distant signatures can be ignored because they have no direct interest but, in a council having their 🍰 and eating it way, local signatures, protests, meetings etc can be dismissed as NIMBYism. That's local democracy inaction.