Golf club black tie functions

• Thread starter Deleted member 31467
  • Start date

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not sure if we have any but not my cuppa tea anyway...
The Social side of the clubnis, by all accounts, back to pre-covid levels....there's something on most weeks, benit a quiz night, barn dance - got an email this afternoon about a Shirley Bassey tribute artist coming along......not sure about that one..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only time I'd put a suit and tie on is weddings and funerals. I don't think my club has any black tie events, I can't recall one.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Only time I'd put a suit and tie on is weddings and funerals. /QUOTE]

Me too, I think that's the way the world has gone.

Spookily, it's the Seniors' AGM and lunch tomorrow. Traditionally it's jacket and tie, and the request went out for J&T to be worn, but it is optional. Will be interesting to see how many attend and what folk wear.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We used to have Black Tie only do's but now you can wear lounge suit if you wish. In fairness our clubhouse doesn't leand its self to big sit down functions as Dinning room is L shaped

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Summer Ball and New Year's Eve Dinner going back as far as I can remember. Never went to one.
Not sure if they have them now. (EDIT: no longer done - not enough interest)
I've been to such dos in other places, got my own gear, but never seen the point of such formality of dress at a golf club.

Last edited:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Black Tie Gents dinner once a year. Usually pretty well attended and a good night out. We're lucky that many members can walk/stagger home.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to have 3 black tie events - Captain's Dinner, New Year's Eve, and the Swindlers Dinner. All were popular but went by the board due to covid. The first two - which are 'formal' club events - have since resurrected but not as black tie. The Swindlers Dinnner was an informally arranged bash and was by far and away the most popular - but covid nobbled the swindle so has taken the dinner with it. It it ever comes back, it would definitely be black tie.

sunshine

Visit site
Yes. I like a black tie do. As long as it’s meaningful.
Not a fan of “jacket and tie” dress code. I think it’s become very outdated.

Albo

Visit site
I’m not aware that mine does, that said I’d never go to anything anyway even if just casual.
I don’t get the whole black tie thing, not even J&T. Just doesn’t make sense. Why would someone want to go out for the night and be uncomfortable? To what end?
As Orikoru said earlier, I wear a tie only for Wedding and funeral, and in all honesty, I’d rather not for most of them.
I remember the days when work used to have me wear a tie, Friday used to be a special day as you Congo without tie, and once a month you were allowed to wear jeans and T-shirt or whatever.
How life has thankfully changed for the better!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Orikoru said earlier, I wear a tie only for Wedding and funeral, and in all honesty, I’d rather not for most of them.
The last few of either of these, I haven't worn a tie and neither did most people there. Very liberating and far more comfortable. Go for it next time.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
We're not the type of club to host these events.

I doubt many even own ties.

I've got a collection... but I wear one to work every day :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The last few of either of these, I haven't worn a tie and neither did most people there. Very liberating and far more comfortable. Go for it next time.
Depends if you're a key player in it or just an evening guest really. :LOL: Last wedding I went to I was one of the groomsmen, might've got told off for sacking off the tie.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends if you're a key player in it or just an evening guest really. :LOL: Last wedding I went to I was one of the groomsmen, might've got told off for sacking off the tie.
At the last wedding, neither the groom nor the 2 best men wore ties. The groom hated ties and wanted to feel relaxed. Obviously, it is a situation where if you are a groomsman, you follow the request.

Entirely depends on whose funeral or wedding it was and what they wanted. It's just good manners.

I have been to a funeral in a football shirt..... as requested!
I haven't seen a dress code request at a wedding or funeral, apart from bright or fun clothes at the request of the deceased, so it has always been left to whoever is going. If they put a request on the invitation then I'd dig one out but as they don't they are leaving it up to the individual. I think no tie is just as smart as a tie, same for black tie events, so it is not dressing down imo.