Golf club black tie functions

• Thread starter Deleted member 31467
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 31467

Does your club have any 'black tie' functions? We have 2, the summer ball and the captain's dinner. Do you go? Chance to get dressed up and show off your trophy wife/girlfriend :D

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our annual dinner was black tie but last year was cancelled due to lack of interest and changed to a more informal event instead, we are not even trying to hold one this year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We've at least 4, prize giving, member guest dinner and dinner dance. Tbh I don't bother, I live 20 miles away and I don't see the point in going if I have to drive and can't drink.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Our 'champions' dinner is a two night deal

Flip flops are OK on first night but loafers or similar needed for 2nd night

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Attended our captains banquet a few weeks ago which is advertised as a black tie event. A few of us just wore a normal suit and tie. It’s not the Oscar’s.

evemccc

Visit site
Our annual dinner was black tie but last year was cancelled due to lack of interest and changed to a more informal event instead, we are not even trying to hold one this year.

What do you put the loss of interest down to, as presumably it was previously held and well-attended, but since the Covid golf boom it’s fallen by the wayside?

evemccc

Visit site
We have a number of club tie and jacket functions throughout the year, but no black tie functions —- we’re not that posh!

D

Deleted member 15344

Think just New Year’s Eve for us and it’s rammed

Have a few jacket and tie events - Gents evenings , Captains Lunch and Presidents evening etc

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our club are trying to resurrect the pre covid level of social activity. Its slow progress!

I think the decline in "dressing up" is a sad one. You don't need it all the time but on once in a while it's good.
Maybe if there wasn't a focus on dressing up they would be more popular?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haven't been to a black tie event in years. Last golf one would be about 15yrs ago. I don't think my current club has one, if they did I wouldn't go. I don't use golf as my evening social life and dressing up as people call it is a big turn off for me. The chance of my wife wanting to go, scale of 0-10..........0 😆

Recent clubs have struggled with any form of evening social event, add in a formal dress code and there would be even less chance of hitting the numbers needed.

D

Deleted member 31467

We have lots of informal functions but specifically interested in black tie ones. All our functions are well attended.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
What do you put the loss of interest down to, as presumably it was previously held and well-attended, but since the Covid golf boom it’s fallen by the wayside?
It seems that younger members arent interesting in the formality of a black tie event, I also think that people have got out of attending functions at the club, numbers attending the new year's eve do were down and it previous years it was sold out. The quality of the catering may also have had a bearing, happily we have new caterers starting this week.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Maybe if there wasn't a focus on dressing up they would be more popular?

I can only think of one that involves dressing up, its about getting folk back in the habit of the social side of the club.

Over the winter we had members give "monthly talks" that were well attended. We're lucky to have folk like Phil Price, Paul Mayo (ex Amateur champion) and Jim McKenzie (Head Greens Superintendent at Celtic Manor) among our members and they were really good.

As we get into Spring stuff will get ramped up further.