Golf beginner - where to start and what do I need?

paulmartin143

Visit site
I've been thinking about taking up golf over the last couple of years. Other than going to the driving range and making an ass of myself with my friends or playing mini golf, I am new to the game. I know the rules, terminology, just need to learn how to develop and refine my swing.

And I also need to know what kind of equipment I need.

Also, what is the best way to get decent discounts on green fees?

markwarne

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum - hope you will enjoy reading and joining in.

I am probably not alone in saying that you could write a War and Peace on your question, but for what its worth, here's my two penneth....

Kit
No point in buying the most expensive or newest thing you see. If I were you, head to a local pro (not necessarily an American Golf), make some enquiries, let him have a look at your swing, etc and get some independant advice. Then, and I may get shot down here, I would have a look on a site like Golfbidder. I for one have used them, and they do have some good kit on there at reasonable prices. But as with most things, you pay for what you get. Alternatively, there are "for sales" on here, but look at established forummers (as opposed to the one off speculatory punts).

Lessons
If you are genuinely serious, sort some out as soon as possible. It will get you into the right frame of mind,and stop bad habits before they become too engrained.

Practice
If you can, devote time to following up your lessons with practice. Sounds obvious, but you get out of the game what you put in.

Playing
Nothing beats playing when you start to see your lessons and practice starting to come together on the course.

Discount Fees
Difficult one this. At this time of year, you can pick up cheaper rounds on account of the weather / possibility of temp greens. If you have a couple of mates, you could look into the 2-fore-1 offers (check the website).

Golf Mags
Buy GM of course :D. Its a great mag (no I don't work for them) which offers plenty of useful tips, kit reviews, etc.

I hope others will have something to add to the above.

Welcome again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think markwarne pretty much summed it up. Dependant on budget go to a good pro and hit a some balls and let him see your swing. My advice would be to look at cavity backs to start as they are the most forgiving. You don't need to blow a fortune as golfbidder etc will have sets from most of well known names at pretty reasonable prices (as a guide callaway have just released the X22 but I had X14 until 18 months ago whci are now about 8 years old)

Get lessons as soon as you think ou might be interested in playing regularly. If you get the basics sorted then you will never go too far wrong.

Practice as much as you can or feel you want to. If you can't be bothered then just go out and have alugh and see how you get on. Once you start playing properly and get a handicap etc you'll probaably feel more compelled to work on parts of your game.

Get out and play as much as you can. Playing at a range and on a course are about as far aprat as you can imagine and there is no substitute for experience gained playing. Plus you get to enjoy the scenery and exercise etc.

There are lot of discount schemes but the 2 for 1 voucher system is one of the more popular ones and can offer some pretty good deals especially if can get away midweek as that is when some of the best deals are around.

GOlf magazines is easy. Golf Monthly - get your subscription in asap!!!! Of the others, Golf World is a pretty balanced read but Todays Golfer isn't that great. It has poor articles and leans very heavily towards Taylormade Callaway and Ping.

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
When I started playing golf I had the following:

a wilson staff 8 iron.
5 cut up Dunlop 65i's.
the school football pitch.
some like minded mates.

If you gear yourself up with the above list you can add the extras later as you get into the swing of it ( excuse the pun)

Seriously - the whole point is not the gear, the clothes the championship course or anything else. The point is to enjoy it.

If you feel pressured to have all the latest kit then it's been my experience that pressured people rarely have fun.

Go to any course or driving range and see how long it takes to spot some grim faced bloke cursing at thousands of pounds worth of kit. Then try to spot a teenager with an old second hand set of clubs and a big grin on his face as he creams one up the middle.

Who's having a better time?

Welcome to the game and welcome to the forum. I'm living proof that one borrowed and bashed old club is enough to have you hooked for life.

If you're really desperate to splash the cash then spend it on lessons. I wish I had. Shiny new clubs lose their lustre but good habits and knowledge will last you a lifetime.