golf ball selection during a round

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys as my game as improved i really feel the difference in ball especially when putting, i have been using nxt tour balls, when i played yesterday i lost my nxt tour left the pack of 3 a bought in the car and had to use a dt solo. I had been putting everything with the nxt tour once i changed balls my putting went to the does as the ball was so different in feel as speed off the putter face. anyone else had this problem? do you guys use the same ball every round? when i first started playing in december any ball would be ok but now i know the difference. Anyone else encountered this

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
I use a selection of balls tbh from srixon ad333 to z stars to pro v1xs. I Seem to be able to make a (Mod Edit) of it with all of them lol. Only kidding. Hou probably will notice a difference changing balls. Should be easy to adjust over a hole or 2 though

Last edited by a moderator:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I play the same ball for each round. I don't lose many any way, but even if I do, I replace with the same. Not fussed between rounds, but once I've started I'll see it out with the on model.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use the same type of ball all of the time, bounce games comps and if needed to change during a round same type of ball so to keep consistency of feel throughout.

A

Alex1975

I think part of it is that the DT SoLo is not a very nice ball and the NXT Tour is a very nice ball.

Blocker

Medal Winner
Visit site
The DT solo is a brick, NXT is a "medium ball" and ProV1 is a soft ball. For feel purposes keeping exactly the same make doesn't really matter but you should use the same type. There will be a huge difference between using a brick and then going to a soft ball
ie DT solo , srixon distance and pinnacles are bricks
NXT / Srixon ad333 Bridgestone e6 are medium
Pro v1 , Srixon z stars and bridgestone B330S/rxs etc are soft.
You wouldn't notice any difference in the winter because they all behave like bricks:D.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does anyone still do soft spinny balls for short par 3s and long distance balls for long par 5s?

Not sure that would really work for me.

Premium balls go far enough when the conditions are good and as I'm going to be chipping putting a lot on the longer holes I'm not sure using a "distance" ball would be an advantage.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The DT solo is a brick, NXT is a "medium ball" and ProV1 is a soft ball. For feel purposes keeping exactly the same make doesn't really matter but you should use the same type. There will be a huge difference between using a brick and then going to a soft ball
ie DT solo , srixon distance and pinnacles are bricks
NXT / Srixon ad333 Bridgestone e6 are medium
Pro v1 , Srixon z stars and bridgestone B330S/rxs etc are soft.
You wouldn't notice any difference in the winter because they all behave like bricks:D.
i went for a titleist ball fitting courtesy if GM and the difference is HUGE.

Distance wise, there is supposedly only 5 yards between the DT solo and the proV1. But it's feel, sound and outer coating of the ball that is the difference.

The DT solo is as hard as nails and to me souns tiney no matter which club you hit it with. Also, on chip shots, the surface of the ball does not grip the club face and the ball will not check up when it bounces, it simply keeps rolling. It is also a low spin ball so anyone wanting the hit it straighter with a wood or long iron could consider this or its better version , the Velocity. Just don't expect these to land close to the pin and stay put. Both of these balls felt awful off the putter in comparison to the next 2

The NXT Tour S ball was WAY better, sounded nice of the club face when chipping and felt nice when putting. On a chip shot it did check up but I found it had to pitch it 4-5 yards away from the pin than either of the ProV1s. For me it is better than the Srixon AD333 but they are £10 per dozen more which may not suit some.

The ProV1 is an awesome ball. You can pitch it closer than any of the other balls and it will check up. I didn't notice any difference when putting than the NXT Tour S with any of the demo Scotty Cameron's

I'd say us hackers a better off with sticking to the NXT Tour S or AD333's, the super budget balls are just nasty and only suitable for the range. For those Low-Mid handicappers, the PRoV1's have awesome stopping power on the greens, as demonstrated by Brookesy on the Brabazon on Friday who on a few occasions tried a few shots ProV1 vs AD333. No comparison

Last edited:

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What handicap do you think you would need to be to notice the difference though?
Not necessarily handicap, id say more capability from 100-120 yards in for those who can regularly pitch it close.

For those who have adopted the bump and run technique, any ball would do and it's just down to feel and their preference as its the spin rates that the high end balls produce when coming down that matters

Also, a high spin ball will accentuate any mis-hits. I sliced a drive and it honestly turned through 90 degrees

G

guest100718

I look to see what premium ball is on offer at the start of the season and by a job lot. This year is the Bridgestone Tour B330. 4 doz for £75.