Golf Ball Question

Hoganman1

Visit site
I've been playing the Titleist AVX for over a year now. I'm a senior (72) and my swing speed isn't what it used to be. I keep hearing and reading about balls designed for swing speed below 90mph. I know Bridgestone used to have a ball like this. Also, I see Taylormade has a new ball called Soft Response for slower swingers. I switched to the AVX because it's longer than the ProV1. The question is: can I maybe get a few more yards off the tee by going to one of these balls for slower swingers?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
As I understand it, the AVX spins less than the ProV1, so that could be where the extra distance comes from, comparing them both.
However, if you're not getting the speed to optimise it, then there are cheaper and likely better balls for you to gain a little more yardage.
Thing will be to find a lower spinning ball for slower swing speeds.
The Taylormade Soft Response may feel a bit too soft compared to the AVX, so the Tour Response may be better. Or the Srixon Q Star Tour might be worth a look. Or even the Srixon AD333.
If you've got any AVX left, let me know !?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to a Titleist demo a couple of months ago. Their rep said that all their balls go the same distance (probably meaning through the air) it was they do when they land that separates the type of ball.

I see choice of ball largely coming down to what you want it to do when it lands anyway. If you are happy to land it at the front of the green and roll up to to the flag chose a ball that spins less.

On a personal note I would go for the Bridgestone B300 RXS (slower swing version) over the standard B300S version because I have seen the difference in use.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Srixon q star / tour
Wilson Dx
Callaway supersoft
Titliest tour speed
Mizuno RB566, I'm using this at present as my winter ball, pretty cheap