Golf bag, zip repairs

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I can categorically state that I never overpacked my Motocaddy dry series bag, and now all three of the front pocket zips have failed. (First bag was replaced under warranty, second one failed after about 15 months). I believe it's a combination of the way they are "welded" to the bag and the fact they have "corners". The stresses placed on them as they go round the "corner" breaks the "weld".
Fair enough. As I say, it's more a theory really based on the fact that the waterproof zips have much finer teeth than standard drips, to keep out the rain. As a result I would imagine they are less resilient than traditional zips. My Titelist StaDry trolley bag and my BagBoy S260 Stand bag both have these waterproof zips and I'm very careful about how much strain I put on them.
Saying that, the amount of money that the manufacturers charge for bags these days, you'd expect them to use top quality materials, especially for such crucial items.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The zips on my 8 year old Powacaddy bag have broken for the ball compartment and a side pocket.

Really disappointed so looking to see how it resolve the issue from this thread, thanks for posting.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The zips on my 8 year old Powacaddy bag have broken for the ball compartment and a side pocket.

Really disappointed so looking to see how it resolve the issue from this thread, thanks for posting.
The same zip broke on my waterproof Powacaddy bag, the putter well also frayed and broke away. Powacaddy were not helpful at all when i called them just a few months after the guarantee was up.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough. As I say, it's more a theory really based on the fact that the waterproof zips have much finer teeth than standard drips, to keep out the rain.
It's not the zip mechanism itself that breaks on these Motocaddy dry series bags. It's the weld between the edge of the zip and the pocket.

It strikes me that a much easier way to make zips waterproof is to just install a proper heavy duty zip and have a flap over it that keeps the rain out. It's not exactly rocket science, is it?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's not the zip mechanism itself that breaks on these Motocaddy dry series bags. It's the weld between the edge of the zip and the pocket.

It strikes me that a much easier way to make zips waterproof is to just install a proper heavy duty zip and have a flap over it that keeps the rain out. It's not exactly rocket science, is it?
Still shocking quality control if it's a known fault.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Same with mine the zip came away from the surround.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Clearly some very clumsy over zealous zip pullers on this thread.

Look after your equipment and it'll last is all I'll say. My dry series bag still looks immaculate after all these years and no zip issues.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is mine, the actual metal of the zipper has broken. Pretty poor
Seen a guy fix one of these he drilled a very small hole through both pieces, and put a small bolt through the hole .
Once it was fixed he dismantled it and superglued it together back on the zip before replacing the bolt to strengthen it.
It depends how big yours is and if you can get a bolt small enough.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does one look after a zip? You are basically suggesting others have damaged their bags, no?

I probably have, it’s had 8+ years of being used. Even when I wasn’t playing lots of golf with it I would be going into it for spare balls for the other bags I use.