Golf Analysis Software

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Do any of you golfers know of any good golf analysis software that can be used on a stadard mobile phone.

I'm looking at the sort of software that you put your scores into, and it will analyse where you need to improve, that sort of thing.

I've seen a couple advertised although I'm not sure what they are like :

Wireless 18
mScorecard

Has anyone used these before, or can anyone recommend any others ?
Also, are they actually any good ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to be honest I have been using analysis software (in conjunction with my teaching pro) for the last 8 months and find it fascinating enlightening and educational.

Having said that to get the most out of collating the data you really need some form of PC based software. I use Scoresaver 2(www.scoresaver.co.uk) which costs £40 per year but it is the most in depth system out there (in my opinion).

Not only does it collate your scores for each round and analyse 8 key ares (fairways hit, GIR, number of putts etc) but you can also record practice information which will collate how much time you are dedicating to each aspect of yoru game. There is also a facility to record lessons with your pro (and give him reports on your progress to date).

I think if you log into the website you can download a free trial version. It is quite simply the best out there. I'm sure you will find it more useful than a mobile phone product.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How do you go about recording the data during play though, especially in competitions?

Do you carry an extra card and make a note of scrambling, sand saves etc.?

I keep scores from my local course and note Fairways, GIR and putts, but no room to mark stuff like penalty shots, scrambles etc.

Thoughts?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aaswift,

I use Scoresaver2, like Homer, and it gives the facility to print out a card of your course in a format which allows you to keep track of the 8 key stats, very easily. Great piece of software.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guys,

I have been looking at Scoresaver 2. I currently have used How-did-i-do for three years as my club uploads our scores here.

Scoresaver 2 looks a bit more advanced. How-did-i-do costs £15 a year. Looking at Scoresaver 2 i thought it was a one of payment of £40 to register. Can you confirm if its £40 a year before i dive in and make the purchase.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As my esteemed forum colleague J-F has mentioned you basically print a copy of the course. Basically you just tick or ring the relevant column (fairway hit, missed left right etc - GIR hit et al). Very quick and very easy.

I normally keep mine inside my scorecard and update it as I'm marking the card on the way to the next tee.

Very easy, very quick and the data produced is very very good. I don't normally recommend products on here (everyone has different wants/needs) but if you are serious about improving your game and need to know your weaknesses (and strengths) this really is the way to go

It has the HomerJSimpson seal of approval

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As far as I'm aware it is a one off purchase price. I know from their forum they regularly send out upgrades (or repair any technical glitches) and so from that viewpoint I assume they would not charge anything else.

Certainly I bought it under the premise it was a one-off hit but I'm sure if you e-mail them they will let you know. They are pretty good. I had a problem on Sunday night about 8.30pm loading some data and sent an e-mail and asked the question on their technical forum. I had a reply by both mail and on the forum with a fix by 10.00pm

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
How long you been using it, Homer? How many rounds recorded so far?

I like the facility to record your lessons. Basically means I don't forget what I've been taught and keeps keys swing thoughts to mind if it starts to go pear-shaped.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
J-F

I've had it since June and have recorded 57 rounds. I use it to record all my range sessions so I get an idea of what I've worked on (and see if I have made any progress). Like you I use the lesson facility to record what I've learnt and regularly refer back

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Similar to myself, Homer. Started 4th May last year and 51 rounds so far.

The one thing I have noticed is that my low scores correlate with how much driving practice I do, not short game practice. Would have thought it would be the other way round so I'm making a point of practicing the driving regularly again now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've noticed a correlation between practising my putting and short game and my scores coming down. Funnily enough I do not practice my driving as much as i should but I'm averaging 59% of fairways hit (for all 57 rounds).

Its my GIR stat that needs improving (miserly 31%) and I could do with getting my average number of putts below 34

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
jonny1409, before you even consider using your mobile doublecheck your contract. Lot's of horror stories of four-figure bills for internet use lately.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's good driving, Homer. Keep that up and you'll be happy. I'm similar, 57% so far but improving lately.

I'm similar to you on the putting, too, averaging 34.4 per round (ooofff!)

As you say, sounds like your irons are the main difference between us then. I'm 48% GIR so far, 52% for the last twenty odd rounds. I do practice my irons a lot.

Do you have small greens where you play? I've got lovely big links greens to hit into....perhaps explains the poor putting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our greens are very small in comparison with many other local courses and are ful of subtle borros. Sadly they weren't in the best condition in the Autumn and although improving slowly they are still a bit bobbly.

The problem is we have a number of par 4's over 400 yards and several require a good drive into the correct part of the fairway to be able to go for the green (trees blocking line etc). This means on some occassions particularly if I am in the rough I am not in a position to actually go for the green.

That said, I don't hit as many of the par 3's as I should and have a reliable consistency on hitting fairways and then sending my approaches high wide and handsome into the jaws of waiting bunkers.

Still thats why this is so good. It tells me I'm an idiot long after the mis-hits have been forgotten!!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer, you've just highlighted why it's hard for 2 different golfers from differing courses to compare their stats. However, they are useful to compare you own improvement or otherwise.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
40 quid a year for software? are you nuts?
Surely you can get a perpetual license, after all its only stat software, not Sage Accounts.

rickya

Hacker
Visit site
If you want help analysing your swing like many do on laptops, then the Nokia N95 Golf edition phone has this interesting feature. Though a rare phone, difficult to find.