GM magazine subscription!

NedPizza

Visit site
Hello,

I was recently tempted to take out a subscription to GM magazine.

Here's the wording from website :

Rolling subscription
(Cancel online at any time)

£5.00 for 3 issues.
Followed by
£22.49 every 6 months / 6 issues.

Now, I read this as you pay £5 now for next 3 issues and in roughly 3 months £22.49 if you like the mag and wish to continue.
End of Jan, I was charged £5 and a few days after another £22.49

To say the least I'm a bit annoyed that they can just dip into my account like this and I won't even see the first delivery before March.

I've reached out to customer support, but apart from a ticket number no further reply.
No wonder subscriptions are on the down!

What do you think?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
What are the t&c’s of the offer?

And you’ve raised this on a different thread. So no need for this to be a separate thread

Last edited:

NedPizza

Visit site
What are the t&c’s of the offer?

And you’ve raised this on a different thread. So no need for this to be a separate thread

Yeah, sorry about that. I've deleted my other post.
I thought it important to share this with other golfers so started a new thread.

Nothing in the T&Cs regarding payment schedule, however my confirmation email said, first payment will be taken end of Jan and 2nd payment in May!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hello,

I was recently tempted to take out a subscription to GM magazine.

Here's the wording from website :

Rolling subscription
(Cancel online at any time)

£5.00 for 3 issues.
Followed by
£22.49 every 6 months / 6 issues.

Now, I read this as you pay £5 now for next 3 issues and in roughly 3 months £22.49 if you like the mag and wish to continue.
End of Jan, I was charged £5 and a few days after another £22.49

To say the least I'm a bit annoyed that they can just dip into my account like this and I won't even see the first delivery before March.

I've reached out to customer support, but apart from a ticket number no further reply.
No wonder subscriptions are on the down!

What do you think?

Look on the bright side; at least you're not paying £48.49 annually as a reward for your loyalty... :mad::mad::mad:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yeah, sorry about that. I've deleted my other post.
I thought it important to share this with other golfers so started a new thread.

Nothing in the T&Cs regarding payment schedule, however my confirmation email said, first payment will be taken end of Jan and 2nd payment in May!

So just to clarify, you've paid the correct amount just not when you expected?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So just to clarify, you've paid the correct amount just not when you expected?

Or...

You’re a new customer, you pay you’re £5, and are happy with the deal. 1 or 2 copies in and you realise it’s not what you’re after so cancel before the agreed schedule of payment of £22.49 a few months down the line ?

The Fader

Visit site
Slightly off topic but unless you want the physical magazine, why not consider the Readly app?

I accept it a bit more expensive - £7.99 per month but you get access to several golf magazines (including Golf Monthly) not to mention literally thousands of other titles covering every imaginable genre. You can also access all the back issues. For me, its one of the best value apps out there.

Better still you can share content across 5 devices. Just find a friend!

NedPizza

Visit site
Update:

I rang the call center. They kept saying this shouldn't happen. Well it did, but to move on they will refund the 2nd payment in the next 7 to 10 days.

However, I still lose money on this due to currency exchange rates (account I used to pay is in euros).
They will not refund the extra 1 or 2 pounds to even things out.

My view is that the GM team dream up these offers, 3 trial issues, free golf balls etc. in their meetings and then hand over the actual processing to a 3rd party company, who care little about customer loyalty.

If anyone from GM team ever takes the time to read this, please note a new customer lost even before he has read the first issue!

Good luck to you guys and your business model.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Update:

I rang the call center. They kept saying this shouldn't happen. Well it did, but to move on they will refund the 2nd payment in the next 7 to 10 days.

However, I still lose money on this due to currency exchange rates (account I used to pay is in euros).
They will not refund the extra 1 or 2 pounds to even things out.

My view is that the GM team dream up these offers, 3 trial issues, free golf balls etc. in their meetings and then hand over the actual processing to a 3rd party company, who care little about customer loyalty.

If anyone from GM team ever takes the time to read this, please note a new customer lost even before he has read the first issue!

Good luck to you guys and your business model.

I agree they were wrong to take the payment early, but whinging about losing a pound or two because of exchange rates is a bit pathetic. Look at it this way, you've got 3 issues for 6 quid rather than a fiver, still a good deal.

NedPizza

Visit site
Slightly off topic but unless you want the physical magazine, why not consider the Readly app?

I accept it a bit more expensive - £7.99 per month but you get access to several golf magazines (including Golf Monthly) not to mention literally thousands of other titles covering every imaginable genre. You can also access all the back issues. For me, its one of the best value apps out there.

Better still you can share content across 5 devices. Just find a friend!
@Fader, excellent suggestion thank you. I've just signed up. so many magazines to choose from, I even had a read of the Beano comic :)