Global warning = bye bye old course

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A report on the BBC stating that by the end of the century , of nowt is done to curb global warming, a lot of sports inc Golf are gonna suffer. It mentions we may well be saying cheerio to the Old course St Andrews, amongst others.
suprised no one has said owt on here.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
This is the report here
BBC Report
The thing is that it's good headlines to talk about Golf Courses but it's a bigger picture than that. The most high profile course under threat at the moment is probably Montrose. Coastal erosion is nothing new and certainly seems to impact the East Coast more than the west. But Climate Change/Global Warming is happening and we are seeing it in the warmer winters and wetter summers.
The bigger problem is the impact it has on people and their lives. I love my golf but you have to look at the bigger picture.
However, until the naysayers realise what is happening (and by then it may be too late) it's a problem that's not going to go away.
2016-299-The-global-warming-three-wise-monkeys--INKCINCT-CARTOONS.jpg

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the sea level rises sufficient to drown the old course, will there not be bigger issues at stake than golf? Like London will be under water?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Humans add about 2% of the total CO2 in the atmosphere through all of our activities per year. The atmospheric amount of C02 is only 2% of what is stored in the oceans. If that balance changes – as it does naturally over time - and has done since the oceans existed - then anything we’re doing is, to pardon the pun, a drop in the ocean.

The Old Course will be washed away with the passing of time. It will be buried miles beneath the surface and return as a mountain range or spewed from a volcano. Then it will be a desert. And an ice cap.

Maybe then it’ll be enough of a challenge for Beezerk and Cabby.

(Couldn’t resist)

D

Deleted Member 1156

The report said ALL links courses are under threat. We've got real problems if Pennard disappears under water :eek:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's been the coldest winter up here for years probably since 2010 so no sure about the rising winter temps it referred to.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
See I'm never sure about this. I was in the sea at the weekend and it didn't even reach my knees but three weeks ago it was up to my waist!

It just doesn't add up to say its rising :confused:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
See I'm never sure about this. I was in the sea at the weekend and it didn't even reach my knees but three weeks ago it was up to my waist!

It just doesn't add up to say its rising :confused:

Hope to god Trump never reads that, Slab will be retweeted around the globe 😂

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an (ex)scientist i have many thoughts on this.

Did humans cause climate change? No.

Have we influenced the amount of change? Unlikely.

Have we changed the rate of climate change? It is likely, since the industrial revolution we have put out a lot of bad stuff that was locked away in stores.

Can we stop climate change? No.

Can we lessen our potential impact? Yes.

Can we reverse climate change? No.

Did we cause the threat to costal golf courses? No.

Can we stop the threat? Yes but only for a short period in geological time.

I think we should all do our bit to lessen our personal impact, it’s just the right thing to do. We should not expect to stop average temperatures across the globe, just aim to not be responsible for adding to the rate of change. A slower rate will allow everything to adapt as necessary, even us humans!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Did humans cause climate change? No.

Have we influenced the amount of change? Unlikely.

Have we changed the rate of climate change? It is likely, since the industrial revolution we have put out a lot of bad stuff that was locked away in stores.

Can we stop climate change? No.

Can we lessen our potential impact? Yes.

Can we reverse climate change? No.

Did we cause the threat to costal golf courses? No.

Can we stop the threat? Yes but only for a short period in geological time.

I'm neither an ex nor current scientist but I agree with everything that you say, I believe, and have nothing to back it up but honestly believe it's evolution.