Global warming.

RRidges

Visit site
I don't trust weather forecasters as I remember 1976 and 1988.
In 1976 it didn't rain for 6 months and the rivers ran dry.
In 1988 we found they couldn't forecast a hurricane even if was blowing in their faces. The French did though.

BBC One Michael Fish Hurricane HILARIOUS MUST WATCH!!! - YouTube

Now that Britain can expect 40C is the most likely evidence that man made global warming has happened.

1. So you are blaming forecasters for the 1976 weather?!
2. The Great Storm was in 1987!
By definition, it was NOT a hurricane - as that is a TROPICAL cyclone. Fish actually mentioned that in the forecast. He was also correct that the storm he referred wasn't going to touch UK, as he was referring to a different storm. The destructive one, that eminated from the Bay of Biscay was missed due to lack of detection kit, a state subsequently corrected. The French really didn't forecast it any better than the English. They simply had more notice of its arrival, as it hit South-West and South England first.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
1. So you are blaming forecasters for the 1976 weather?!
That was the time of the long distance weather forecast. It lasted until we were told it would be a barbecue summer. It never stopped raining.
They don't seem to understand that prediction is very difficult, especially when it comes to the future.
Even with satellites and computers they still don't understand that what drives the weather is chaos. A butterfly only has to flap its wings.

2. The Great Storm was in 1987!
As it was October 1987, I rounded it up to 1988!

By definition, it was NOT a hurricane - as that is a TROPICAL cyclone. Fish actually mentioned that in the forecast. He was also correct that the storm he referred wasn't going to touch UK, as he was referring to a different storm. The destructive one, that eminated from the Bay of Biscay was missed due to lack of detection kit, a state subsequently corrected. The French really didn't forecast it any better than the English. They simply had more notice of its arrival, as it hit South-West and South England first.
I agree it wasn't strictly a hurricane but everybody referred to it as such.
Ask them at Sevenoaks if they were bothered about the strict definition.

RRidges

Visit site
That was the time of the long distance weather forecast. It lasted until we were told it would be a barbecue summer. It never stopped raining.
They don't seem to understand that prediction is very difficult, especially when it comes to the future.
Even with satellites and computers they still don't understand that what drives the weather is chaos. A butterfly only has to flap its wings.
What a load of drivel - unrelated to the sect1on of my post you quoted!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Do you really think I'm blaming weather forecasters for the weather?
But they might be treated as scapegoats if they get wrong.
If they were sacked every time they got it wrong the profession would die out.
Quote: "Chaos theory proves that weather and climate cannot be predicted beyond the very short term and that, even with today's state-of-the-art observing systems and models, weather still cannot be predicted even two weeks in advance. "

There is always hit and miss with prediction and that could also apply to global warming.
Can't say for sure if weather might become ever more extreme, but it is likely in the near future.