Global warming.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So what’s your thoughts. I write this in sunny Central America. Where the weather is normal for this time of the year. Even had some glorious thunderstorms. Yet as I write it looks like the UK is going through some
Serious tough times. Reading some
Friends post on Facebook , and there thoughts are “have a Calypso and calm Down”. I think it’s a fair but more serious than that. So Global warming, is it fake or fact and what could or should we do.
Thoughts please.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the correct name needs to be used more because it's not global warming that's misleading it's climate change. (Not a dig tash)

People are always like in winter oh but it's so cold .. storms etc thought was global warming

No it's cause it's climate change.

There can be no denying it. The world changing and we need to act as much as we can to try and minimise the effects

No idea what we can do anymore it's like fighting a losing battle

But anyone posting have an ice lolly or oh we survived the summer of 76.. well 20000 people extra died that year because of the heatwave.. you were lucky let's just respect the weather and work together on something rather than behaving like a bunch of entitled something's.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So what’s your thoughts. I write this in sunny Central America. Where the weather is normal for this time of the year. Even had some glorious thunderstorms. Yet as I write it looks like the UK is going through some
Serious tough times. Reading some
Friends post on Facebook , and there thoughts are “have a Calypso and calm Down”. I think it’s a fair but more serious than that. So Global warming, is it fake or fact and what could or should we do.
Thoughts please.

Less unnecessary air travel would help.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Less unnecessary air travel would help.
It certainly would, but travelling to a country that is world leading in pledging to decarbonise emissions by 2050 shows that a reversal can be achieved. It is currently 98% renewable energy. ( no relying on other states).

Blue in Munich

Visit site
It certainly would, but travelling to a country that is world leading in pledging to decarbonise emissions by 2050 shows that a reversal can be achieved. It is currently 98% renewable energy. ( no relying on other states).

No one needs to travel there to show that the reversal can be achieved though, do they? It's just another brag about my holiday post. :rolleyes:

And as laudable as their efforts are, it's little more than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic unless the biggest culprits start doing the same.

RRidges

Visit site
They need to convince the countries further south to stop destroying the Amazon rain forest!
Until that happens, whatever Costa Rica do is tokenism!

Tashyboy

Visit site
No one needs to travel there to show that the reversal can be achieved though, do they? It's just another brag about my holiday post. :rolleyes:

And as laudable as their efforts are, it's little more than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic unless the biggest culprits start doing the same.

It's just another brag about my holiday post. :rolleyes:
If it was another brag about my holidays I would of mentioned the other 4 I have been in this year. Roll eyes. Or maybe it was a serious attempt at discussion which some
Forummers have participated in. ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's just another brag about my holiday post. :rolleyes:
If it was another brag about my holidays I would of mentioned the other 4 I have been in this year. Roll eyes. Or maybe it was a serious attempt at discussion which some
Forummers have participated in. ?

To be fair, you mention your travels more than David Attenborough does

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
No doubt climate change is real and almost certainly caused by carbon emissions.

How to fix it? Not sure we can. We may already have passed the tipping point. But in the hope that the end is not nigh, we could try to stop burning fossil fuels. A good start would be to remove the 6 trillion dollars per year subsidies that fossil fuels get.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A global direction to all the governments of the world to control their energy use and energy sources is required, which governments are not allowed to break.

Governments around the world are too short term and always have an eye on staying in power by winning public support, so unpopular actions like restricting air travel, banning fossil fuels, massive investment in renewables etc. etc. don't happen.

As we know from our own experience, countries/people don't like to be told what to do by others so it's extremely unlikely that a compulsory global policy will ever succeed and hence nothing worthwhile will happen until it's too late.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Too many people in the world, and too many in most developed countries.
And too many are stupid or ignorant. And of those that aren't , there are too many greedy and unscrupulous . They becomes the ones in power and so nothing altruistic gets done.
All that adds up to a catastrophic outcome.
Sorry to be doom and gloom, but it's the case.

Left to ourselves, we will not solve it .
If there are E.Ts monitoring us, they'll need to intervene.

Is that as far fetched as it sounds?
Has that opened up the discussion a bit??

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Slowing the unsustainable annual global population growth would help. It stands now at 83 million more humans consuming resources per year.

Too many people in the world, and too many in most developed countries.
And too many are stupid or ignorant. And of those that aren't , there are too many greedy and unscrupulous . They becomes the ones in power and so nothing altruistic gets done.
All that adds up to a catastrophic outcome.
Sorry to be doom and gloom, but it's the case.

Left to ourselves, we will not solve it .
If there are E.Ts monitoring us, they'll need to intervene.

Is that as far fetched as it sounds?
Has that opened up the discussion a bit??

Hammer. Nail. Head.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slowing the unsustainable annual global population growth would help. It stands now at 83 million more humans consuming resources per year.

But there is also a growing demographic imbalance, too many older economically unproductive but high consumers of health and care services, and too few people producing for the economy and providing care for the first group.

The traditional approach to managing population is to reduce birth rates. This only amplifies the demographic problem. What we really need is to better balance the population. Sorry oldies, some of you need to go (heading that way myself). Maybe a Logan's Run, with a cutoff set a bit higher than the movie (30, IIRC).