Glasgow South Clubs - Whitecraigs v Cathcart Castle

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
After moving house, changing job and having a child in 2015, golf took a back seat. Usual story, lack of time and money meant I just couldn't justify it.

Now looking at getting back into it, probably 2019 (but maybe if there are wrap around offers, possibly in the autumn this year). I know it's a while away, but really don't want to make a mistake with this as its potentially a big commitment with joining fees etc.

I am thinking of Whitecraigs and Cathcart Castle clubs to the south of the city. Both are within 3 miles of where I live and very close to where we will probably move to in the next few years (and still not far even if we don't move).

It would obviously be great to have a club walking distance from the house. For this reason I'm not considering East Ren and Eastwood.

If anyone has played both, or been a member at both, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts;

Is one course much better than the other?
Which one is most playable?
Which one stands up to weather the best?
Is one generally kept in much better nick?
Is one particularly slow to play?
Also, are there good informal groups with sweeps running on non-medal days?
Is one particularly posh or not at all posh?
Both clubs appear to still have joining fees - are these waived or reduced?

Anyways, don't feel you have to answer all questions and the variations are prob marginal / personal choice in most cases - just the kind of things i'm interested in. Especially about the informal groups, as that was a big part of my previous club (Clober).

Thanks
Grant

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
For me Whitecraigs all day long.

Look at East Renfrewshire too, a bit further out but a lovely course.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
After moving house, changing job and having a child in 2015, golf took a back seat. Usual story, lack of time and money meant I just couldn't justify it.

Now looking at getting back into it, probably 2019 (but maybe if there are wrap around offers, possibly in the autumn this year). I know it's a while away, but really don't want to make a mistake with this as its potentially a big commitment with joining fees etc.

I am thinking of Whitecraigs and Cathcart Castle clubs to the south of the city. Both are within 3 miles of where I live and very close to where we will probably move to in the next few years (and still not far even if we don't move).

It would obviously be great to have a club walking distance from the house. For this reason I'm not considering East Ren and Eastwood.

If anyone has played both, or been a member at both, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts;

Is one course much better than the other?
Which one is most playable?
Which one stands up to weather the best?
Is one generally kept in much better nick?
Is one particularly slow to play?
Also, are there good informal groups with sweeps running on non-medal days?
Is one particularly posh or not at all posh?
Both clubs appear to still have joining fees - are these waived or reduced?

Anyways, don't feel you have to answer all questions and the variations are prob marginal / personal choice in most cases - just the kind of things i'm interested in. Especially about the informal groups, as that was a big part of my previous club (Clober).

Thanks
Grant
Hi Grant
When I moved to the area I tried all the local courses and joined East Ren, Both Cathcart Castle and Whitecraigs are closer but it was the course that swung it for me. I played it the first time on a day when the rain was coming sideways and I still loved the course. I've been at the club now for 12 years and never regretted my choice.
Very friendly members too and plenty of opportunity to join in groups.
It's probably stayed open and been on full greens more than the other courses in the area.
If you want to try out East Ren for yourself, I'd be happy to take you out for a round as a guest. Happy to answer any questions you might have and show you around the club.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think Whitecraigs is a nicer course in general than Cathcart Castle. Horses for courses so play both before making up your mind. Whitecraigs has a nice clubhouse and decent food.

East Renfrewshire is different to Whitecraigs, more moorland in style. Some lovely holes, Whitecraigs is more parkland and from memory it drains better in winter. (I may be wrong with that assumption though! Please check)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Whitecraigs is a nicer course in general than Cathcart Castle. Horses for courses so play both before making up your mind. Whitecraigs has a nice clubhouse and decent food.

East Renfrewshire is different to Whitecraigs, more moorland in style. Some lovely holes, Whitecraigs is more parkland and from memory it drains better in winter. (I may be wrong with that assumption though! Please check)
Thanks man.
Appreciated.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Grant
When I moved to the area I tried all the local courses and joined East Ren, Both Cathcart Castle and Whitecraigs are closer but it was the course that swung it for me. I played it the first time on a day when the rain was coming sideways and I still loved the course. I've been at the club now for 12 years and never regretted my choice.
Very friendly members too and plenty of opportunity to join in groups.
If you want to try out East Ren for yourself, I'd be happy to take you out for a round as a guest. Happy to answer any questions you might have and show you around the club.

thanks. I may take you up on that, in the interests of full disclosure.
I drive past it a lot & does look a nice track.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What about Williamwood? It's not a bad track either. They have invested in their course over the last few years and made some changes, I've personally not played Williamwood since it changed but I always enjoyed it.

Condition wise I don't think there will be much between Whitecraigs, Cathcart Castle or Williamwood or East Renfrewshire for that matter. You'll enjoy all of them.

Try them all and take it from there.

Also like East Renfrewshire you have Bonnyton not far from you but it will require you having to drive. It's another beautiful moorland track.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What about Williamwood? It's not a bad track either. They have invested in their course over the last few years and made some changes, I've personally not played Williamwood since it changed but I always enjoyed it.

Condition wise I don't think there will be much between Whitecraigs, Cathcart Castle or Williamwood or East Renfrewshire for that matter. You'll enjoy all of them.

Try them all and take it from there.

Also like East Renfrewshire you have Bonnyton not far from you but it will require you having to drive. It's another beautiful moorland track.

I never played Bonnyton even though I was brought up in Mearns - for unfortunate historic reasons the opposite of Whitecraigs. But couple of years back I tootled up the road to have a look and it looked really nice - with absolutely fabulous views over the city to the hills - possibly better views even than those from East Ren - where I was a member.
I'll note - changed days for club membership - i was on the Whitecraigs waiting list from 1976 eventually offered membership in 1983 (I didn't know the right people)

I only played Whitecraigs, Williamwood and Cathcart Castle a couple of times many, many moons ago. I enjoyed them - but they were nothing like what East Ren gave as a golfing experience in my eyes. I played Eastwood a lot as my mate was a member - I preferred East Ren. Though again - I played Eastwood many moons ago and before the motorway caused the new build and reconfiguration

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers folks.

I am def considering East Ren now, due to many positive comments, lower joining fees & a very impressive website.

Slight issue is that I have a mate who was at Whitecraigs but stopped due to a back injury. He is hoping to take it up again & if so it will make a lot of sense to join there with him. But he’s still at the ‘wait & see stage’.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Why not both come to East Ren? ;)

Glad you like the website. A lot of work was put into it and the flyovers have just been added.
We're also planning to put drivings bays and a full teaching bay on the practice area later this year.

The offer of a round is still there. Your mate is also welcome to come along although he may have already played it in the annual East Ren v Whitecraigs match.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Why not both come to East Ren? ;)

Glad you like the website. A lot of work was put into it and the flyovers have just been added.
We're also planning to put drivings bays and a full teaching bay on the practice area later this year.

The offer of a round is still there. Your mate is also welcome to come along although he may have already played it in the annual East Ren v Whitecraigs match.

cheers, I will speak to him about it when I see him next. If he can activate his Whitecraigs membership without a joining fee then I don’t see him giving that up.

V happy to take you you up on your offer - thanks very much. Will be in touch when I’ve spoken to Stu.