Giving way

berniethebolt

Visit site
Playing on Friday am - course very busy with mainly 3 and 4 balls - play was painfully slow. We in a four ball were waiting virtually every shot on the four ball in front who were waiting etc. - there must have been a particularly slow group some way ahead. Behind us was a two ball also obviously held up by us. The question was should we let them through? With space in front of us then obviously yes but without?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
In theory they are a faster group, so yes they should be let through.

But practically, with nowhere to go, it’s pointless.

However if your group has to look for a ball, then yes invite them through.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only let a group through if they have clear space to fit in. Remember, if you stop to let them through everyone behind you now is affected.

DickInShorts

Visit site
If we were close enough to talk to them then I would usually ask if they wanted to come through but point out they probably wouldn’t get any further due to the groups in front - although that is not a reason not to ask them to play through. I’ve generally found that they know it’s slow and are happy to stay behind us.
If we need to search fir a ball I’d always invite them to play through

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
A two ball can usually get through without disruption providing the groups who let through don’t stand around like wet kippers and play down with them instead of waiting for them to clear.
Always let people through and if it’s the last few holes and they’re a fast two we’ve turned into a six to finish up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing on Friday am - course very busy with mainly 3 and 4 balls - play was painfully slow. We in a four ball were waiting virtually every shot on the four ball in front who were waiting etc. - there must have been a particularly slow group some way ahead. Behind us was a two ball also obviously held up by us. The question was should we let them through? With space in front of us then obviously yes but without?

We had similar wednesday on re opening..

Followed a 3 ball (3 of us for 9 then 2 for full 18)

Never waved us through when looking for balls

Even caught them up on tees didn't offer

Looked offened on 13 when I asked could we play through

By 16 we had got an entire hole ahead and caught the FOUR ball in front of them..

Slow play email had been sent out day before

Luckily they are group behind us this week by looks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had similar wednesday on re opening..

Followed a 3 ball (3 of us for 9 then 2 for full 18)

Never waved us through when looking for balls

Even caught them up on tees didn't offer

Looked offened on 13 when I asked could we play through

By 16 we had got an entire hole ahead and caught the FOUR ball in front of them..

Slow play email had been sent out day before

Luckily they are group behind us this week by looks.
That’s really poor.
Who’s educating these people, that’s just sheer arrogance imo.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s really poor.
Who’s educating these people, that’s just sheer arrogance imo.

It really boiled my blood

I accept the course is gonna be rammed. And I expected 3 /2 of us 4 hours because of it..

But on the 1st we hit our approach into green they were on 2nd tee

One of my group lost a ball. I went in bunker etc etc .. when we finished the green they had JUST finished teeing off and walked down. Group in front where on green (390 par 4 so they aren't driving it!)

On the 5th only 1 of 3 were on fairway rest were in the rough looking for balls. Nobody on green

11th we got to the tee and they walked off .. one lost his ball (par 3) they all looked for it didn't play us through

12th they were 50 yards down fairway when we got to tee

14th was were we got through (think I said 13th originally)

Now they saw us putting out. green is like near tee .. and they were walking off. I said excuse me.. they ignored so I shouted excuse me.. can we play through .. look of disgust .. (ofc I mucked the hole up lol)

But the 15th par 5 600 yards when we got off green they had just started walking down off tee!! That's one hole lol

16th we then waited for the group in front of them and just followed them back to club house .. in a queue that I expected to be

When we finished.. I cleaned My shoes .. put my gear away. Went little boys room..chatted to a member and they still weren't on the green!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Last or previous round (on a Saturday), a 2-ball caught us at a 'traditional waiting point' (14th tee with the group ahead still on/approaching the green) and requested to be allowed to play through because they were a 'Club Match'. We, somewhat grudgingly, allowed them through, but they made no further progress. I'm a bit dubious about whether we were over-generous or not! Perhaps we should have asked the score As the whole field was moving at traditional/satisfactory 4-ball speed, the intrusion of a (pushy) 2-ball (Match or otherwise) that late in a round does seem a bit offensive.

Swango1980

Visit site
I would say no, only let them through if there is room in front to let them play into. Maybe if you know the group in front is the slow group, you could let the 2-ball through, as they have more chance in getting let through.

However, yesterday I played in a 3 ball. There was a 2 ball in front of us, and a 1 ball in front of them (that is as far as we could see early on). We were held up on every hole, and it was clear the course was rammed up ahead, with at least one ridiculously slow group. On 5th, 480 yard par 5, we arrived at the tee before the group in front had even teed off. By the time they were out of range, and we could tee off, the two groups behind us had arrived at the tee, so there were 3 groups on the tee (and probably 5 groups on the entire hole). It was crazy, but no point in us letting anyone through. We were waiting on every single hole. Surprisingly, the one ball 2 groups ahead of us kept at it. On the 12th he finally asked the 2 guys behind him to join him, as it seemed pointless playing as 2 separate groups.

The issue at our place is that, on a Sunday morning, there is a regular society that go out early doors. Several players are horrifically slow, and they do not care about anyone else. They even booked up all the early Sunday slots when golf came back after the first lockdown. Golf was restricted to 2-balls at that point, but they just then turned up and went out in 3 and 4 balls anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would say no, only let them through if there is room in front to let them play into. Maybe if you know the group in front is the slow group, you could let the 2-ball through, as they have more chance in getting let through.

However, yesterday I played in a 3 ball. There was a 2 ball in front of us, and a 1 ball in front of them (that is as far as we could see early on). We were held up on every hole, and it was clear the course was rammed up ahead, with at least one ridiculously slow group. On 5th, 480 yard par 5, we arrived at the tee before the group in front had even teed off. By the time they were out of range, and we could tee off, the two groups behind us had arrived at the tee, so there were 3 groups on the tee (and probably 5 groups on the entire hole). It was crazy, but no point in us letting anyone through. We were waiting on every single hole. Surprisingly, the one ball 2 groups ahead of us kept at it. On the 12th he finally asked the 2 guys behind him to join him, as it seemed pointless playing as 2 separate groups.

The issue at our place is that, on a Sunday morning, there is a regular society that go out early doors. Several players are horrifically slow, and they do not care about anyone else. They even booked up all the early Sunday slots when golf came back after the first lockdown. Golf was restricted to 2-balls at that point, but they just then turned up and went out in 3 and 4 balls anyway.
Then someone in authority needs to grow a pair and put a stop to it.
Blatant disregard for the rest of the club shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Are these players members or visitors..?

Swango1980

Visit site
Then someone in authority needs to grow a pair and put a stop to it.
Blatant disregard for the rest of the club shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Are these players members or visitors..?
Members. And, sadly nothing will be done, the way our club works. The club has an Owner, the golfing Committee have little influence. The Owner is not going to "grow a pair" when this group of golfers are bring money into the club.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Members. And, sadly nothing will be done, the way our club works. The club has an Owner, the golfing Committee have little influence. The Owner is not going to "grow a pair" when this group of golfers are bring money into the club.
Then it is probably time that you take your money elsewhere. No amount of whining on a website is going to change it. :rolleyes:

Swango1980

Visit site
Then it is probably time that you take your money elsewhere. No amount of whining on a website is going to change it. :rolleyes:
What makes you think I was trying to change it by posting on here???? I discussed it as it was topical to this thread. Membership at our club is dirt cheap, and the course is convenient. So, I accept the rubbish that goes with it, but it doesn't mean I must stay silent about it if the conversation comes up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The same group were behind us today

We got a hole ahead by the second lol

By the 13th 2 groups had played through them

Maybe they learnt from last week? But then they still slow jezzzz

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't agree with the argument that you always let a faster group through. Each case should be taken on its merits. I agree that most of the time it is the right thing to do though.

I was playing in a fourball at Copthorne GC one morning. The fourball in front of us were painfully slow and the course in front of them was completely clear. We got to the 5th hole and had been waiting on every tee for what seemed like ages. As we were standing waiting to play our shots into the green, one of my fourball approached the guys who were all faffing about around the green and kindly asked if they would let us through.
They declined, stating that as were were green fee payers and not members, we had no standing on the course so would have to wait.
A few choice words were exchanged, (and I do mean choice), and they reluctantly let us through on the next hole.
Ignorant pigs.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was playing in a fourball at Copthorne GC one morning. The fourball in front of us were painfully slow and the course in front of them was completely clear. We got to the 5th hole and had been waiting on every tee for what seemed like ages. As we were standing waiting to play our shots into the green, one of my fourball approached the guys who were all faffing about around the green and kindly asked if they would let us through.
They declined, stating that as were were green fee payers and not members, we had no standing on the course so would have to wait.
A few choice words were exchanged, (and I do mean choice), and they reluctantly let us through on the next hole.
Ignorant pigs.

I hope you reported them to the club..no place for that attuide in golf