Give me some putting and chipping drills please!

Gregolf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I, like many people, don't practice the short game enough. Can someone give me some decent drills for both putting and chipping?

Gregolf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My biggest problem with short chips is good contact so either duffing it or skulling it across the green.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My biggest problem with short chips is good contact so either duffing it or skulling it across the green.

With the short chips, you either need a short backswing, a club with lots of loft or dead arm swing (ie no wrist action)
But in each case you need to be positive through impact with a level or slightly downward angle of attack.

it stands to reason with a short backswing you will generate less speed so the ball will go less distance but difficult to master, especially if you hinge your wrists on the backswing.

The more lofted clubs can be used for the short chips but will get very little roll so more of a land and stop type of flight

Lastly, the dead arm shot is when there is no wrist action at all, just as a putting stroke and you can use any of your short clubs to get the ball on the green with a bit of roll towards the flag. The advantage of this shot is you can swing back a bit longer without the fear of the ball shooting accross the green.

Of course, no one shot is the only shot to play and you need to practice each one to find out which you like best.
Personally, I like my pupils to be able to play all different types of shots but find the dead arm shot the easier from close to the edge when the flag is close. it's just an extra shot to have in your short game arsenal.
Heres a short clip of me demonstrating the dead arm chip and the putt with the help of the V-Easy.
Hope this helps :)

[video=youtube;691FG1bEMQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691FG1bEMQY[/video]