Getting your kids into the game

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all, new poster, long time reader here.

Having recently got back into the game following a break of more or less 15 years, I've been taking my 2 girls down to the driving range with me every now and then. They're aged 9 & 11.

They've both got their own PWs and enjoy having a go. I'm struggling to get them to listen to my teachings at the moment, but the 11 year old is showing signs of taking some of it in. She hit some half decent shots yesterday that made me beam with pride, and she says she'd like to play more often. The 9 year old enjoys herself but holds the 'stick' like she's playing hockey and her feet are moving more than Muhammed Ali at his prime!

I will look at taking them for lessons if they do end up getting into it fully, but at this stage I just want them to enjoy themselves and maybe in the next couple of years see how they feel about taking it up on a regular basis.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation? If so, how did you go about it, do you have any tips?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Contact your local golf club and ask about junior group coaching. Lots of clubs provide it free of charge and its a great place for your girls to meet others their own age and have a bit of fun.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 key points; FUN, FUN, FUN.

I would get them signed up to a group lesson kind of thing pronto, IMHO parents make the worst possible teachers. Key is enjoyment, if they don't enjoy it, don't waste your time. My lad is only 4, i take him to the range every now and again, he loves it, so keeping it light and not that often, its viewed as a treat and something he really enjoys. when he can do a bit more physically and mentally listen to and interpret instruction better, i will sign him up for group lessons (as long as he is still keen)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
My 5 yr old son some times comes to the range with me,he loves it. I looked into lessons for him but was advised to wait until he's 7. I'd just av a word with a local pro & book the eldest a lesson & see how she gets on.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My 5 yr old son some times comes to the range with me,he loves it. I looked into lessons for him but was advised to wait until he's 7. I'd just av a word with a local pro & book the eldest a lesson & see how she gets on.

Interesting they said wait till 7. my pro said as soon as he can listen to and digest instruction, he is ready (enjoyment factor moved to one side)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Interesting they said wait till 7. my pro said as soon as he can listen to and digest instruction, he is ready (enjoyment factor moved to one side)

Might be worth me talking to some one else then mate. Definitely think he'd enjoy group lessons.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
The group lesson thing that Rooter suggested sounds good. Probably be more relaxed & enjoyable.

I have actually started going to the grown ups version on a friday night. Very well run and a nice atmosphere! although the poor beginner next to me didnt like me working on my driving! those R1's are loud!!

The kids sessions i have seen (my lad is still too small) have been really good fun, they move targets on the range, have races, silly games, the whole emphasis is on fun, but with a foundation of getting the basics right (grip, posture and direction etc)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply all, i'll have a look into group lessons. My concern was that a 1 to 1 lesson would be a bit intimidating and might put them off, but the group lessons sound like fun!

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all, new poster, long time reader here.

Having recently got back into the game following a break of more or less 15 years, I've been taking my 2 girls down to the driving range with me every now and then. They're aged 9 & 11.

They've both got their own PWs and enjoy having a go. I'm struggling to get them to listen to my teachings at the moment, but the 11 year old is showing signs of taking some of it in. She hit some half decent shots yesterday that made me beam with pride, and she says she'd like to play more often. The 9 year old enjoys herself but holds the 'stick' like she's playing hockey and her feet are moving more than Muhammed Ali at his prime!

I will look at taking them for lessons if they do end up getting into it fully, but at this stage I just want them to enjoy themselves and maybe in the next couple of years see how they feel about taking it up on a regular basis.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation? If so, how did you go about it, do you have any tips?

Thats quite spooky as my two girls are exactly the same.

10 year old seems to have good hand eye co-ord and hits it quite well. The 8 year old is just funny.
Everything moves apart from the ball...

I got 4 clubs of ebayand they are justhiitng for fun with me at the moment.

Trouble is they are already committed to horse riding, ice skating and swimming lessons. There is only so much spare time in the week. And money:(

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My lad (now 13) started when he was 5 because he saw it as a way of getting quality 'Dad' time - however he now spends his entire life at the club so I only ever get to see him when being a taxi to comps etc.

To the OP - where are you based? Is there something like Top Golf around or a small par 3 - these I think are much less intimidating and once they get their first par there really is no stopping them!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My lad (now 13) started when he was 5 because he saw it as a way of getting quality 'Dad' time - however he now spends his entire life at the club so I only ever get to see him when being a taxi to comps etc.

To the OP - where are you based? Is there something like Top Golf around or a small par 3 - these I think are much less intimidating and once they get their first par there really is no stopping them!

Based near Stourbridge in the west midlands. Funnily enough I was thinking about looking for a par 3/pitch n putt earlier, I'll definitely look into that.

Thats quite spooky as my two girls are exactly the same.

10 year old seems to have good hand eye co-ord and hits it quite well. The 8 year old is just funny.
Everything moves apart from the ball...

I got 4 clubs of ebayand they are justhiitng for fun with me at the moment.

Trouble is they are already committed to horse riding, ice skating and swimming lessons. There is only so much spare time in the week. And money:(

Same here, mine are both attending various dancing clubs but I want them both to get into 1 or 2 sports to add that competitive edge to them, and what better way that coming along with their old man!

jon25new

Club Champion
Visit site
My club have a pro who is teaching SNAG (start new at golf) my 8 year old is doing a 6 week course and hasn't had to buy anything to take part. It's a great way for them to get basic coaching (grip, stance, swing) whilst having real fun! They do it for all ages. Have a look at the snag website

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi and welcome.
Kids tend to start taking it in from about 8 years old, no matter what sport, so don't waste time and money on lessons before then.
Kids who who are 5 and take one to one lessons need to have a serious talk with their dads.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club has stated a junior programme run by our assistant pro. Been very successful and no doubt group sessions and minimal coaching is the way forward. Way back when in the mists of time when I first started it was at the driving range at Sandown Park and was an hour per day every day for a week as junior group sessions. A big dustbin full of balls and we could stay after and hit until the bin was empty. Great fun and a great foundation

Whatever you do don't push them or over coach them and let them find their own way. Plenty of good organisations like the Golf Foundation, N1Golf, SNAG etc. Have a look on the web for something near to you

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son is 5 nearly 6 and has been hitting balls since he was 2.
Have a look on you-tube under [2 year old playing golf] or [Ryan hitting long and straight].
He is now coming on 6 and absolutely loves golf,but much more importantly he loves
playing golf with his dad[absolute quality time].
I never push him,or shout,but always tell him when he does a great shot.
I have also taught him basic rules and etiquette,sometimes however it doesn't seem like he has
taken it on board,then all of a sudden he does it without you saying anything.
Strange creatures sometimes.
I have just come back from the course with him this evening.
You would never believe what happened.
We were on the first and he wanted a pee,so on the 2nd when we were out of sight I let
him go in a bush.
I told him I was angry that he didn't go before we left home,and we carried on.
On the 7th hole we were on the green,when all of a sudden he said he was peeing himself,yes
peeing himself on the green 2ft away from the hole.
Nice wet trousers all the way home.
Got to laugh though,as he really enjoyed it[not peeing,the golf].

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 7 year old Granddaughter has group lessons and thoroughly enjoys them. I think it's mainly putting, and chipping and putting, with little competitions where they try to get up and down in 2.

IMO it's good to get them started with all the basics and they will definitely listen more to a Pro/ teacher, rather than a Dad or Granddad.

Was telling my Granddaughter how I nearly got a hole in one last week, but still managed to get a 2.

She thought for a minute and said, " Oh, that was a good up and down granddad". :)

Bless her cotton socks!

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 15 year old and 11 year old daughters go on Saturday morning group sessions and really enjoy them.
The older daughter also got accepted into the Cornwall golf academy over the winter and learned so much more from playing with kids of her own ability.
She now has a private lesson every month to work on specific things and it's really starting to show in her game.
The younger daughter is getting good and is starting to play on the course more which she really enjoys.