Getting the hands in front of the clubhead

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
My pro has identified this as a problem for me - where I have the hands too far back at impact. He gave me a drill to do and sure enough video analysis showed that the drill made my hands get into the perfect position - in line with left pocket.

However I'm having some trouble implementing this drill into a full swing. Anyone else have any drills I can try?

G

guest100718

My pro has identified this as a problem for me - where I have the hands too far back at impact. He gave me a drill to do and sure enough video analysis showed that the drill made my hands get into the perfect position - in line with left pocket.

However I'm having some trouble implementing this drill into a full swing. Anyone else have any drills I can try?

I have the same problem, the pro has recommended using an impact bag.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Loadls will have the same problem, but most won't know they do.

This is a very difficult thing to change in my view. I've been working on it for 18.months, and I'm not yet there.

I don't think there is a magic quick fix, it just takes a lot of practice and time.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another here who has been diagnosed with this fault, amongst others... Hard to change a position but only practice practice practice will do it. You need to feel you are over exaggerating to start with.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
18 months of hell - last 2 months have seen huge progress, and a need to constantly re-assess clubing distances... I'm alsmost up to forum average :thup:

in my case the real breakthrough came with hours of pitching practice (half swing lob wedge shots) and a focus on feeling the hands lead the clubhead through impact that is hard to focus on in the full swing - eventually it becomes a habit (I don't like the term muscle memory) in all swings.

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
I have trouble with this fault. My pro gave me a drill with a towel. Place the towel flat on the mat/floor so it is about 3 inches behind the ball at address and focus on missing the towel but making contact with the floor. Not easy to start with but does work.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I made the breakthrough when I swung with rhythm and concentrated on keeping the angle in the right wrist for as long as possible through impact. I also take a practise swing and ensure that the impact on the ground is way past the ball position

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try hitting punch shots with mid and long irons.... That's roughly the feeling you should have........ If you were caught with a tree in front of you with a low hanging branch that you needed to clear..... It'll definitely get you out of flipping at the ball....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you lose the wrist angles early in the downswing, the club will approach the ball on a shallow angle of attack. (Like a plane coming into land.)
To keep the lag you need to increase the angle of attack
If you miss the back ball and hit the front one, you will increase the lag.

[video=youtube;bJ2oBmW37eY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2oBmW37eY&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To go with some of the other suggestions, you could also try hitting a shortish iron out of a divot.