Getting handicap?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have put my 3 cards in but 2 of them had N/Rs on them will I still receive my handicap?

1st game was a medal got a pretty awful 113 But was expected

2nd medal I played better but N/R'd 7th hole when I thought I'd easily find my ball in rough but didn't hit provisional. Played out every hole and looks like woulda got about 100 if I found my ball(par 70)

3rd was a bounce game from yellows today. N/R'd 2 holes. Was looking 105-109 on the round had I played the holes normally..

with these 3 N/R's on the 3 holes will I still get allocated a handicap? Also there were quite a few pars(including SI 1) and bogeys but I have yet to break 98 on the course so will Iikely get 28? Not really sure how it's calculated?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes you will still get a handicap, they will treat every bad hole by rounding it down to a double bogey, this includes the NR'ed holes. Then the best of the cards compared to the course SSS will be your initial handicap

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Virtuocity... impressive that you've came down 10+ ticks since you took it up that'll be my plan although not setting any real goals just gradual improvement!

Can I ask how much you practice/play and how much you played throughout the winter? I'm due to get married and go on honeymoon soon so gonna be away from it for a good 5 weeks, then will be nearing winter but aim to still play and practice as much as possible in winter months

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I ask how much you practice/play and how much you played throughout the winter? I'm due to get married and go on honeymoon soon so gonna be away from it for a good 5 weeks, then will be nearing winter but aim to still play and practice as much as possible in winter months

At the start of 2013, I was a struggling golfer failing to break 100. I spent about 10 hours per week at the range trying to get a swing together and had about 20 lessons. Given the amount I practiced, I was disappointed not to finish on a handicap lower than 18.

This year, the handicap has gone south a lot quicker. I attribute this to a lot of things but the main ones being:

1. Playing more than practicing
2. Eliminating fat shots
3. Understanding ball flight rather than my swing dynamics and having a one-sided miss

I still have no short game but my putting is getting better.

To get your handicap dropping, from my experience, I'd suggest:

1. Keeping the ball in play at all costs.
2. Course manage the ball to the centre or back of the green in 3 shots (par 4s). If you have 200 yards to the green after your drive then it's a 7 iron then pitch to the middle of the green.
3. Commit 50% of your practice time to 50 yard (or closer) pitching and putting.

Also, I couldn't go 5 weeks without swinging a club and only a back injury in July has kept me out for this length of time.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm my experience most people knock 4/5 shots off their first hc pretty quickly, I think it comes from the pressure of knowing it's for HC and expecting your best golf under that pressure is hard.

The good thing is you now have your hc, get into as many comps as poss, it can only go one way ;)

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
wee update; still only played 2 medals but managed to knock off some strokes and break 100 now (95) in a bounce game from yellow tees!!!

Just gutted it's coming to end of season; I'll only have chance to play one more medal on 1st November as about to get hitched and go on honeymoon! Suppose it means if I can get a ton of practice by the time season starts i'll be ready to get some serious Nett scores!!!!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like its getting there. Once you breal 100 in a comp you'll do it regularly and wonder what the big deal was, then go for 95, 90 etc. I'm trying to break 90 with a card in my hand myself, done it loads of times in friendlies but 91 is the closest I have got when it matters.

Slightly random question, you're not an exiled Southampton fan are you?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks mate. On honeymoon at the minute and enjoying the break. My last round before I came away was a shocker so was happy with a wee break but will be straight back on it on my return.

as for Southampton lol very random but can't ever say I've ever had any feelings for them- good or bad. Play good footy mind you