Getting Course ready

Prodavid116

Visit site
Had my first lesson today already big improvements atm just focusing on 7 iron just wondering how many lessons will I have until i will be up to course standard?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no such thing as 'course standard' just get on a course and play. Start with a short, flat public course or a nine-holer if you can.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ah right I just assumed you had to be half decent to play on the course
Get on a 9 hole or par 3 course and get going. There’s nothing like experience hitting the ball from the turf as opposed to just mats. You’ll also have to judge wind a bit and read greens putting so experience gained across a number of areas. Just relax and have fun though!

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d say it helps to get the ball airborne consistently and be able to hit a club 140/150 yds consistently (May be not straight) and then you can get round without being too frustrated. Not essential though.

Then choose how to play; you could use a tee on every shot to begin with if that makes it easier, or drop by the green after a certain number of shots to get short game practice etc.

I’d also pick an evening when courses are normally quieter for first time out. Even better if you know someone who plays regularly to help guide you round.

Have fun.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One more question which Balls am I best going with at the moment for Value ?

If you're new to golf, and I'm assuming you are then don't spend stupid amounts on balls - something like the srixon distance £10 for 12 is fine. Saying that you can get dunlops from sports direct for £5.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Srixon Distance, the cheaper Slazenger balls from Sports Direct or Inesis balls from Decathlon will be fine to start out with.
The cheaper the better works at first as it’s likely you’ll lose plenty so it’ll just be a cost.

D

Deleted Member 1156

One more question which Balls am I best going with at the moment for Value ?
As a complete beginner just buy the cheapest balls, basically anything round! Once you are able to hit consistent shots you can start experimenting a bit. Look on the likes of eBay for Lake balls or pearl grade to get you started.

sunshine

Visit site
I'd suggest starting on a 9 hole pitch and putt course (all holes are par threes). This will give you the fun (and frustrating) experience of actually getting the ball in the hole. At least half of golf consists of short shots around the greens i.e. putting and chipping.

When you feel confident around the greens you can step up to a short flat public course as orikoru suggests.

And then I'll see you at Augusta next April!