Getting all-year round use of conservatory

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone shelled out for a proper roof on their conservatory, or invested in a climate control system? I feel it's a wasted room- classic case of too cold in winter and too hot in summer. We don't have heating installed there.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i got a radiator fitted in ours last year, but tbh, it's still a bit chilly in the winter.

have thought about getting a proper roof fitted, but for the money I'd probably be better getting it knocked down and a proper room put in its place.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Underfloor heating is pretty good, wood/soft material flooring or the cosy roof type conversion. All of these should take the extremes away and would make a noticeable difference.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My neighbour had a new light weight tile effect roof fitted to his last year, seems to use it more often now. I'll ask him how much and send you a couple of pics. WhatsApp pics sent
Update, my neighbour recons he paid about £5000 for 4x3 replacement lightweight steel roof. But wouldn't recommend it , as it's still really hot when the sun is out and still really cold in winter. But he does have full size glass windows all around.

Attachments

• 20200925_101522con1r.jpg
    20200925_101522con1r.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a tower fan and a plug-in heater in mine. :p

That is what I have, a tower fan for summer, a ceramic heater for winter. I have a radiator in there but the problem is that we have one thermostat for the house and so conservatory is normally too cold or the rest of the house 2 hot if I put the thermostat in the conservatory. I have also thought about a solid rough in there but no idea of cost or effectiveness.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is what I have, a tower fan for summer, a ceramic heater for winter. I have a radiator in there but the problem is that we have one thermostat for the house and so conservatory is normally too cold or the rest of the house 2 hot if I put the thermostat in the conservatory. I have also thought about a solid rough in there but no idea of cost or effectiveness.
Exactly the same issue here. There is a radiator but it has little to no effect since the room temp is obviously much lower than the rest of the house. Plug-in heater does the job, you can also position it right next to you if you want. Toasty!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly the same issue here. There is a radiator but it has little to no effect since the room temp is obviously much lower than the rest of the house. Plug-in heater does the job, you can also position it right next to you if you want. Toasty!

Record high in there this year (the tower fan has a thermometer on it) was a balmy 51 degrees.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i got a radiator fitted in ours last year, but tbh, it's still a bit chilly in the winter.

have thought about getting a proper roof fitted, but for the money I'd probably be better getting it knocked down and a proper room put in its place.
A proper roof depends on the way it’s built.
The weight of the roof needs to be calculated so the frame will hold it.
The footings also if it’s brick.

It’s where I escape to when hid has the heating on all day.
It’s a bit cooler in there for me.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a quote for a lightweight roof. I laughed in their faces and built the same size extension single storey for less money. It was a big conservatory, 8.5x3M! They wanted 22k for the roof. Did a proper extension for under 15k.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had an inner insulating roof thing done this year - Anna what's her name advertises it. Not overly impressed and decided to have aircon in the house so also had a supercharged unit to cool/heat the conservatory. So far so good.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had an internal insulated roof put inside the poly carbonate roof - we now get the full year's use out of it, whereas before it was pretty much un-usable in the winter (freezing with condensation running down the windows) & unbearable in summer (in full sun). From memory (about 4/5 years ago), it was about £1,300.
The cats like it very much, as they spend pretty much the whole day in there sleeping on the chairs :)