Getting a will written

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sometimes is not just about the money. It's who's been doing all the care whilst others are nowhere to be seen, literally. :mad:

I guess you are referring to a personal situation, the situation that prompted me to get it done was our friend an elderly chap who had been living with his partner for more than 30 years, paid all the bills and the mortgage which was in her name. The last few years she had dementia and he looked after her, when she died her waste of space son who she had fell out with a few years ago turned up and claimed everything, putting our friend out of the house.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I guess you are referring to a personal situation, the situation that prompted me to get it done was our friend an elderly chap who had been living with his partner for more than 30 years, paid all the bills and the mortgage which was in her name. The last few years she had dementia and he looked after her, when she died her waste of space son who she had fell out with a few years ago turned up and claimed everything, putting our friend out of the house.
Yup, me and missis T kept an eye on an elderly neighbour. She was lovely and loved the company of our then young kids. Even when we moved we called to see her. We received a phone call to say she had been found dead in the house. We were contacted as no one else I knew if she had any family. She had not been to an embroidery class. next of kin was a niece who we had never seen once. At the funeral she proper turned it on, she asked us that once “ affairs” are sorted we could get anything we wanted as a keepsake. I asked for a thimble. Any thimble. It amused me that she collected them. Within a week the house was on the market and am still Waiting for me thimble.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It really depends upon your circumstances and what you want. So whilst the Will for a single person or married couple with no dependencies might be simple and can be done very cheaply, a simple Will will almost certainly not meet the needs of a couple with children if there are any complications such as medical conditions or specific inheritance needs.

In our case, due to wife’s medical condition, my wife is keen that we ensure that our estate is split between ourselves for our children, so that following death of one of us the half of the estate that is of the deceased is protected and will in time be split between our children. The deceased share does not automatically go to the surviving partner - important if it is possible that the surviving partner might get remarried. Also the trusts mean that the deceased partners assets will not be included in any means assessment if the surviving partner requires social care.

Covering this sort of stuff requires trusts to be set up and ownership of our property legally split from joint ownership to individual part ownership.

This sort of Will costs upwards of £2000.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Visit site
It really depends upon your circumstances and what you want. So whilst the Will for a single person or married couple with no dependencies might be simple and can be done very cheaply, a simple Will will almost certainly not meet the needs of a couple with children if there are any complications such as medical conditions or specific inheritance needs.

In our case, due to wife’s medical condition, my wife is keen that we ensure that our estate is split between ourselves for our children, so that following death of one of us the half of the estate that is of the deceased is protected and will in time be split between our children. The deceased share does not automatically go to the surviving partner - important if it is possible that the surviving partner might get remarried. Also the trusts mean that the deceased partners assets will not be included in any means assessment if the surviving partner requires social care.

Covering this sort of stuff requires trusts to be set up and ownership of our property legally split from joint ownership to individual part ownership.

Just read all of that to missis T and she agrees wholeheartedly

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

This is what my parents did to avoid any potential issues with having to sell the house to pay for social care. After my mum died I owned a quarter of their house through her Will, then my dad gave me and my brother the other half (but he still lives there) so I need the Will to make an allowance for this. Most of my other stuff is pretty standard I think, although not sure what to do with my crypto and NFTs. I suppose the solicitor will advise.

Tashyboy

Visit site
This is what my parents did to avoid any potential issues with having to sell the house to pay for social care. After my mum died I owned a quarter of their house through her Will, then my dad gave me and my brother the other half (but he still lives there) so I need the Will to make an allowance for this. Most of my other stuff is pretty standard I think, although not sure what to do with my crypto and NFTs. I suppose the solicitor will advise.
Re the above I think it would be good if someone could explain exactly what this means in layman’s terms and what the consequences could be were it not part of a will. Am sure there is a time scale involved.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Use a solicitor and do it properly. We found that stuff we thought would be complicated really wasn’t so long as it was properly written and the solicitor guided us through it and gave us confidence it was all properly done.

We used Will Aid https://www.willaid.org.uk/ through our local well reputed solictor’s practice and there is a similar scheme starting in October https://freewillsmonth.org.uk/

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will say, having dealt with death claims for insurance for years, everybody needs a will regardless of their age.

The rules of dying intestate are far more complicated than it is to get a will and most people assume too much about who gets what in that circumstance.