General Hello

Bodders

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now and have just signed up so I thought I'd say hello.

I've been dabbling with golf for a few years now, but am now in the position to start playing more seriously. I've been going to the range to practice regularly and find that I hit all the clubs better with the ball set back in my stance, I'm tall at 6'4" so I'm just wondering if this is normal for us lofty folk? Although I don't suppose it really matters as long as I hit it well and enjoy it right?

Anyway, come on the Brits at the Masters!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome bodders....enjoy the forum, it's going to be busy except after 9.00 tonight.....golfers can't watch and type you know!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome bodders, Bitter man by any chance (the drink not attitude)

When you say you hit the ball in the back off your stance, With what clubs? all of them? As the lower the clubs get the further forward the ball should be. I.E sw,pw,9,8 back of stance, 7,6,5 middle(ish) 4, fairway woods forward of centre and driver left heel (if your right handed)

Need any advice mate, you will not be short of it here!

Bodders

Visit site
TonyN, yeah I am quite partial to a good pint of Ale, although thats not why my username is Bodders, my surname is Bodsworth and its what everyones called me since I was about 12. I had to read your comment a couple of times, I thought you were being a bit harsh at first! haha.

I was just trying some different things the other day and found I make a cleaner strike when playing most of my clubs with the ball set back a bit. I do play the driver forward though. Its all over the place! I'm still very much a beginner.

To everyone else, again hello, and thanks for the welcome.

Mark10

Visit site
Hi all,

My first post too, Bodders I am a lofty 6ft 4 and as mentioned by TonyN I try to alter where the ball lies in my stance depending on what club I am hitting. Just out of interest do you play with standard length clubs? If so it may be worth considering having them lengthened slightly, this definitely helped me when I first started.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bodders i was not trying to be harsh, but just trying to pass on what i was taught when i first started. You can play around with the ball in your stance.

But from what i beleive, (and if am wrong, am sure someone will put me right) is that your wedges and high irons should be struck on the down swing, trapping the ball between the face of the club and the floor, causing it to pop up out of the loft.

Mid irons should be struck right at the bottom of your swing.

and low (or long) irons should be swept away at the begining of the up swing.

Bodders

Visit site
TonyN I meant the Bitter comment not the advice. I'm grateful for any advice. So thanks.

Mark10 I'm currently playing with standard off the shelf clubs. I might look into getting them extended though, will have to wait for pay day!

GB72 I live in Wellingborough.