Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know how the following shafts compare:
Aldila RIP Alpha stiff shaft
Miyazaki JDL 5 stiff shaft
Miyazaki JDL 6 stiff shaft
Matrix Ozik 6M3 Black Tie

in terms of stiffness and 'feel'.

I have looked at the specs online, but they dont make much sense to me.
The Aldila RIP Alpha feels way stiffer and heavier than the Miyazaki and the specs make the read almost the same

Thanks
GS

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a clue, but Ethan on here seems to have a vast knowledge on shafts so if he doesn't see this post perhaps send him a PM.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The JDL's definitely launch higher than the Black Tie which is pretty low but not as stout as some say.
No experience of the RIP though.
All pretty good quality shafts though, if one of them works for you then use it..

D

Deleted member 15344

From personal experience the Matrix gives a higher ball flight for me than the Aldila

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The short answer is they don't really compare. Black Tie is considerably stiffer in the bottom half than any of the others. The Miyazakis are softer in the tip than the RIP and the RIP is similar to something like a mix between Ahina and Kaili.

The longer answer is basically the same but with some geekish numbers. Miyazaki have developed a rating scale for shafts which rates flex in four quarters from butt to tip on a 1 - 10 scale, higher being stiffer. On that scale, RIP alpha in S flex is 4565. This basically means variations on medium stiffness in all zones. In contrast, Matrix 6M3 Black Tie is 5499, so it is as stiff as bejasus, to use the technical term, in the bottom half. The Miyazaki shafts both have the same flex ratings, 5543 but the lighter one has a bit more torque.

I think these shafts are rather different from each other, particularly the Miyazaki vs Matrix, which are utterly different.

There are some of the International Flex Ratings in the Cleveland catalogue:

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/2013-Custom-Catalog.pdf

Last edited:

Imurg

Visit site
This should be stickie'd for any future shaft questions! Properly useful!

Kind of....

Look at the Prolaunch Blue and Red in regular.
Blue is a High launch, red is a mid

Blue is 3651
Red is 3641

Hardly a difference in weight and torque either but quite different shafts....

Imurg

Visit site
Absolutely but it's useful to know that just because the numbers are very similar it doesn't always mean the shaft is similar too...

Good info though.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the help everyone. That pdf is very useful Ethan, thanks.

I hit a Cleveland Custom XL yesterday with a Miyazaki JDL and I honestly thought it was going to snap in 2. Ridiculously light and flexible. I stupidly didn't check whether it was a 5 or 6, as I didn't know there were different numbers, just flexes. Now I know. So maybe it was the 5 and that's why it was so flimsy, because judging by these numbers the JDL 6 in stiff should be similar to my current Aldila RIP.

I haven't hit the Ozik Black Tie, but if its stiffer and heaver than the Pro Force V2 65 it probably won't be for me. When I chose the Aldila RIP the V2 65 felt the best, and I felt I could really let loose with it, because it was so stable. The RIP promoted a smoother swing for me and gave the best stats on the launch monitor, so went with that in the end. Interestingly, they look almost identical on that pdf chart, but they definitely feel quite different.

These are all the options with the Cleveland Custom XL driver so I am checking before I go and book a custom fit, it won't be worth it if there aren't any suitable shafts.

Imurg

Visit site
Don't shy away from the Black Tie until you've tried it.

According to every fitting I've ever been to a stiff tip shaft like the BT shouldn't work for me at all but I'm hitting a Driver better than almost ever with it at the moment....

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just spotted this thread when I was researching the shaft I'm getting in my SLDR.......very interesting reading as I was fitted for the Matrix Black Tie 6M3 in stiff......by far gave the best results of all the others, and similar to Imurg I haven't got a particularly fast swing speed ( recorded at around 101-104mph during the test).

The final shaft and head combination (12* set at 11.75*) saw my spin come down from over 3000 to 1965 rpm.....it felt really stable and my dispersion was very good.
Carry was up from 225 to 240 and total distance from 256 to 273.......can't wait for the postman to arrive!!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Just spotted this thread when I was researching the shaft I'm getting in my SLDR.......very interesting reading as I was fitted for the Matrix Black Tie 6M3 in stiff......by far gave the best results of all the others, and similar to Imurg I haven't got a particularly fast swing speed ( recorded at around 101-104mph during the test).

The final shaft and head combination (12* set at 11.75*) saw my spin come down from over 3000 to 1965 rpm.....it felt really stable and my dispersion was very good.
Carry was up from 225 to 240 and total distance from 256 to 273.......can't wait for the postman to arrive!!

I've just seen this thread too. The Black Tie is an awesome shaft, it gave me 10 to 15 yards & less backspin compared to the stock shaft. You've made a good choice.