Garmin G30?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been thinking of buying a hand held golf gps device. I use a Bushnell but sometimes a view of the hole is useful when I play away from home courses. The Garmin G30 is relatively cheap and I dont want to spend a fortune. My phone didn't run an app very well that I tried last week, and I only have a low priced sim only.

Any views?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It looks like an updated version of my G6 Chris....
It'll do the job

Or you could do as my learned friend suggests above and dump those old irons you have for some that shine....:LOL:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got one, very good you can see the shape of hole, put the pointer on any point or line, get yardage to bunkers etc. Well worth the money

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
It looks like an updated version of my G6 Chris....
It'll do the job

Or you could do as my learned friend suggests above and dump those old irons you have for some that shine....:LOL:
I have the G6 its brilliant bit of kit . Think there was issues with the g8 not being comp legal so check that first Chris .. the look very good and decent ££

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As you'll likely be in a good mood Chris, I'll highlight that your thread title isn't a question ???

Can't help, although was also reading upon the G30 recently as fancied a change from my ageing S1 watch - which has been great I have to say.

In the end have asked for a golfbuddy vtx (as a chrimbo present), mainly due to aiming to keep the budget down. But will keep an eye on the garmin just in case that doesn't work out, so do let us know if you end up with one. Ta.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't see that you need a big screen on a GPS...
Chances are, if you're just using GPS, you're not pin hunting but going for the front, middle of back as, unless you have a clear view of the flag it's difficult to move the pinpoint to the exact location - close is all yours going to get
So, unless the green is mahoosive then dividing the green into 3rds should be sufficient.
And you don't need a big screen for that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't see that you need a big screen on a GPS...
Chances are, if you're just using GPS, you're not pin hunting but going for the front, middle of back as, unless you have a clear view of the flag it's difficult to move the pinpoint to the exact location - close is all yours going to get
So, unless the green is mahoosive then dividing the green into 3rds should be sufficient.
And you don't need a big screen for that.

But don't forget how old and decrepit Chris is!!! the eyes must be shot - everything else is

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been thinking of buying a hand held golf gps device. I use a Bushnell but sometimes a view of the hole is useful when I play away from home courses. The Garmin G30 is relatively cheap and I dont want to spend a fortune. My phone didn't run an app very well that I tried last week, and I only have a low priced sim only.

Any views?
I have had the G30 for what you want it for, a bit basic then sold it sold it when I got GPS watch and regretted it because the hole view, even a basic view was useful when play courses you don't know, so ended up buying a G6 which is slight bigger and slightly getter. If you can stretch to the G6 that's how I would go, one point the ability to move the pin, never use it happy to hit the green, so this feature for me is useless but things like distance to doglegs, water etc. it does what I want

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have had the G30 for what you want it for, a bit basic then sold it sold it when I got GPS watch and regretted it because the hole view, even a basic view was useful when play courses you don't know, so ended up buying a G6 which is slight bigger and slightly getter. If you can stretch to the G6 that's how I would go, one point the ability to move the pin, never use it happy to hit the green, so this feature for me is useless but things like distance to doglegs, water etc. it does what I want

Thanks Apj, I'll look at the G6 too

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
g6 is awesome piece of kit

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
been using the g10 for a while now and very happy with it, sometimes the yardages can be funny if you're near trees / something which can interfere. I'll upgrade to the G30 (or whatever replaces it) once my g10 is past its best

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve had one around 6 months, cant fault it. Battery an easy 2 rounds (maybe 3). Dead easy to pick up courses.
My only issue is cos it’s touch screen, if you touch the screen and not realise you can get some funny yardages ?
there’s a Seller on eBay who whacks plastic covers out for £2. They come from China, so it takes a month or so. Perfect fit an does the job smashing