Garden Route South Africa

oleinone

Visit site
Just spent a couple of weeks playing 7 courses on the Garden Route. The courses are outstanding in design and condition and the fees are affordable, especially in comparison with Spain and Portugal.The welcome is warm and friendly. Pre- round breakfasts are a must at about a £5, halfway house beers at £2 - 500ml. Accommodation and eating out is excellent value. Wildlife on the courses is interesting - antelope,eagles, hyrax, monkeys, baboons and more. Memories of close encounters with elephants and rhinos in a "Big 5" wildlife reserve will last forever. I am already planning a return.
The sharp contrast between the luxury on display and the poverty in the townships is disturbing. However, with the rarest of exceptions, the workers at golf, restaurants, bars and car hire are black Africans. The money you spend is supporting their employment.
The programmed power cuts can be a pain. The lengthy flight is tiring especially when you can't sleep.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just spent a couple of weeks playing 7 courses on the Garden Route. The courses are outstanding in design and condition and the fees are affordable, especially in comparison with Spain and Portugal.The welcome is warm and friendly. Pre- round breakfasts are a must at about a £5, halfway house beers at £2 - 500ml. Accommodation and eating out is excellent value. Wildlife on the courses is interesting - antelope,eagles, hyrax, monkeys, baboons and more. Memories of close encounters with elephants and rhinos in a "Big 5" wildlife reserve will last forever. I am already planning a return.
The sharp contrast between the luxury on display and the poverty in the townships is disturbing. However, with the rarest of exceptions, the workers at golf, restaurants, bars and car hire are black Africans. The money you spend is supporting their employment.
The programmed power cuts can be a pain. The lengthy flight is tiring especially when you can't sleep.
We are not long back from near 3weeks in SA and did the Garden Route; inland SA, and an Eastern Cape game reserve, and all you say was our experience. Both in the Good, and the Bad and Difficult. I wasn’t on a golfing holiday but did manage to fit in a round when in Knysna - playing Pezula (I’m thinking you’re prob not one of the Panmure Scottish lads doing what you did that we met and chatted with on the Pezula balcony 🤔). Splendid and incredibly good value at £60 for round and buggy, plus £20 for club hire. Really fancy a proper golfing trip…only downside is the flight duration…a long haul.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
We don't really eat out in the UK but we've been asked to go to a birthday lunch. Bit of a shock after South African prices.

Camberley, UK
classicsteak.jpg

Langebaan, South Africa

grills.jpg

We usually had the Thurday night special at 200 grammes for R 100. Which is, ... checks today's exchange rate ..., £4.24