Ganton - Playing Tips?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Hello. As a treat myself and a friend are playing Ganton on Wednesday. Weather set to be cloudy with a bit of a breeze. We're playing from the yellows at 6,500 yards. I'm quite excited ?

Any general tips? I'm off 15, drive 230 on average, decent iron player, average putter ?. I hear straight hitting is obligatory due to the rough and gorse. Driver not always the best call?

Thanks ?

evemccc

Visit site
Amazing course, I preferred it to Woodhall Spa (which it is often compared/contrasted to).

Good grass driving range and excellent practise putting green. Tough greens, long, and penal rough....enjoy the views, excellent routing and peace and quiet even if you don't play to your handicap :ROFLMAO:

I loved Ganton

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I love it. Think it’s quite playable if you can get off the tee and stay out the bunkers. Main advice would be not to short-side yourself or just play up short as the greens aren’t too tricky. The 16th one of my favourite holes anywhere. Enjoy

evemccc

Visit site
I love it. Think it’s quite playable if you can get off the tee and stay out the bunkers. Main advice would be not to short-side yourself or just play up short as the greens aren’t too tricky. The 16th one of my favourite holes anywhere. Enjoy

The 14th and 15th for me are superb

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Two of my mates went and played the British seniors there, both plus fig handicaps and I'd say both pretty good drivers of the ball, both struggled and said if you missed the fairway the ball was lost, by the sound of it take plenty of balls???

Barking_Mad

Visit site
"Long and straight is the key off this tee" - I have now saved you the cost of a stroke saver! :)

Another pro tip (straight from most club websites)-" Best to avoid the bunkers on this one"

Glad to help.

Heh, having given it some thought I've decided to hit it straight, so I won't bother with new balls ?

D

Deleted member 21258

Looks like you will have a bit of a breeze to make it slightly more interesting for tomorrow.(y)

Most of the course, is laid out in front of you and not hidden from view, so very fair and asks you the question, can you hit the shot. Its a great test of golf and the surrounding views are lovely.

As posted above Greens are scoreable on. Fairway bunkers are a lost shot, they are massive and deep, try and keep out of them.

Sand in the bunkers is to die for, if you cant hit a good bunker shot out of them, then your a rubbish bunker player:p

Rough is fine in my eyes at the moment.

Don't completely top it off the tee, as they have grown up grass/rough carries in front of most tees this year. Looks lovely to the eye but if your a shorter hitting lady they can be challenging to carry(a number are 80ish yards at a guess).

Plenty of scoreable holes on the course, but the last 4 holes are as hard as finish us amateurs will come across, so make your score before then.

One tip 18, most don't need to hit driver as it brings all the trouble into play, leave a longer shot to the green and hit it about 210 off the tee with run, so probably 180/190 carry. Hopefully you will see what I mean, once you climb up on the viewing platform/steps.

Check out dress code, if you wish to visit all parts of the clubhouse. Practise areas are nice, not that I have used the range:whistle:

Ganton is like a pair of old slippers, they just slip on, feel comfortable and great to be walking in/playing.

Enjoy the day and have a great round.

D

Deleted member 21258

Oh and you may find that you have the option of playing off the whites if you wish to, ask the starter/pro shop (cant remember if your handicap has to be x or if that is open to all visitors or its members guests but son played off the whites as a visitor)

D

Deleted member 1147

If you're planning to wear shorts you'll need some of those sexy long socks to go with them ;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
20 years ago Donna and I were on a trip to Scarborough. We drove to Ganton for a game on a cold and grey February morning. On the way there it began to drizzle, but the time we reached Ganton it had turned to snow and an icy easterly wind was whipping up. The course is open if you want to play, the Pro said with a grin. We politely declined and headed back to Scarborough as the road steadily disappeared under the snow. Cars were being abandoned on the side of the road and thankfully we were in a Land Rover.. we picked up some folk who had abandoned their car too.

I still haven't played Ganton... maybe next year eh?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
20 years ago Donna and I were on a trip to Scarborough. We drove to Ganton for a game on a cold and grey February morning. On the way there it began to drizzle, but the time we reached Ganton it had turned to snow and an icy easterly wind was whipping up. The course is open if you want to play, the Pro said with a grin. We politely declined and headed back to Scarborough as the road steadily disappeared under the snow. Cars were being abandoned on the side of the road and thankfully we were in a Land Rover.. we picked up some folk who had abandoned their car too.

I still haven't played Ganton... maybe next year eh?
They had the snow ploughs clearing sand from the road at Ganton when my daughter played there in the British.
Course was virtually unplayable that day.
She scored 92 and 76 [second day] and missed the cut by a shot.:eek:

D

Deleted member 1147

I believe its changed :-

Dress Code (gantongolfclub.com)

'Tailored golf shorts above the knee may be worn, preferably with knee length golf socks, although shorter length socks are also acceptable.'
...they must be trying to enter the 20th century.;)

Regarding the OP, I'd say it's a must play. I really enjoyed it, and despite playing well, thought it was probably the most difficult course I've played.

Enjoy(y)

evemccc

Visit site
Hello. As a treat myself and a friend are playing Ganton on Wednesday. Weather set to be cloudy with a bit of a breeze. We're playing from the yellows at 6,500 yards. I'm quite excited ?

Any general tips? I'm off 15, drive 230 on average, decent iron player, average putter ?. I hear straight hitting is obligatory due to the rough and gorse. Driver not always the best call?

Thanks ?

We're expecting a write-up with pretty photos of Ganton in all its glory(y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe its changed :-

Dress Code (gantongolfclub.com)

'Tailored golf shorts above the knee may be worn, preferably with knee length golf socks, although shorter length socks are also acceptable.'
Why on earth would anyone 'prefer' knee length socks? The only knee length socks I have are football ones. :LOL: If I ever play one of these places I'll have to turn up in them - complete with shinpads as well.