Game starts when ??

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,
might sound a silly question, but when does a game start, was stood on the tee monday with two chaps I have never played with (really nice chaps) and before we started they were both asking and telling each other the best way to play each hole.

What club they normally use and why also best way to approach each hole.

Once I hit my tee shot (1st off) they stopped doing it, but I was always told the game starts once you stand on the 1st tee.

Cheers

Dellboy

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't imagine it has started until a ball (any ball) is in play or maybe more precise a first stroke at his ball has been made by a player in the group

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course the first player doesn't actually have to hit his ball for the game to have started - just made a stroke at it. Love it - golf's great :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The stipulated round begins when the first player makes a stroke at the first ball.
A player's stipulated round starts when he makes his first stroke. He is immune from (eg seeking advice) penalty until he has started, not when the first player has started. 8-1/18

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A player's stipulated round starts when he makes his first stroke. He is immune from (eg seeking advice) penalty until he has started, not when the first player has started. 8-1/18

If i am the third player in a group of four and seek advice before my first stroke but after the first strokes of players one and two, i have not breached rule 8? or i could make three practice full drives from the tee into the nearby car park and not breach rule 7? or measure the wind velocity with an anemometer?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If i am the third player in a group of four and seek advice before my first stroke but after the first strokes of players one and two, i have not breached rule 8? or i could make three practice full drives from the tee into the nearby car park and not breach rule 7? or measure the wind velocity with an anemometer?
Yes.
No, if it's stroke play.
Yes.

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think that decision tells us when a stipulated round starts, but i am tired.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course the question was about an undefined term ie Game. Which is not necessarily the same as a stipulated round.

It can be inferred from the use of the term in the rules and decisions that 'stipulated round' relates to a player or side, not all the players in a group.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think that decision tells us when a stipulated round starts, but i am tired.

Lol I was thinking the same thing but then did a little digging so don't worry. One less thing of the "Must check this" list. One thing though. If the rest of the group has teed off and you are getting advise before your round be careful not to fall foul of 6-7 for undue delay ;)

Decision 2/2 Stipulated Round Match Play said:
In all forms of match play other than threesomes and foursomes, a player has begun his stipulated round when he makes his first stroke in that round. In threesomes and foursomes match play, the side has begun its stipulated round when it makes its first stroke in that round.
The stipulated round has ended in match play when all of the players in the match have completed the final hole of the match (although a player may lodge a subsequent claim under Rule 2-5 or correct wrong information under Rule 9-2b(iii)). With the first round of a 36-hole match, the stipulated round has ended when all the players in the match have completed the final hole of that stipulated round. (Revised)

Decision 3/3 Stipulated Round Stroke play said:
In all forms of stroke play other than foursomes, a competitor has begun his stipulated round when he makes his first stroke in that round. In foursomes stroke play, the side has begun its stipulated round when it makes its first stroke in that round.
In individual stroke play, the competitor's stipulated round has ended when he has completed play of the final hole of that round (including correction of an error under a Rule, e.g. Rule 15-3b or Rule 20-7c). In foursomes or four-ball stroke play, the stipulated round has ended when the side has completed play of the final hole of that round (including correction of an error under a Rule).