Galvin Green Waterproof Trousers - Andy vrs Arthur?

Boomy

Visit site
I’m looking into waterproof trousers at the moment and tried on some GG Andy’s last night - they were very comfortable but seemed quite ‘heavy’ After a little bit of research I spotted that GG do an Arthur model which is advertised as paclite - has anyone got any first hand experience with both models, and if so are the Arthur a lot lighter than the Andy? I tend to overheat with waterproofs on so am trying to find something light to go over my standard trousers. I do have some adidas ‘shower proof’ trousers I use on days where it’s only the odd light shower but need something for more persistent rain days. I’ve also tried on some Sunderland ones but they weren’t a pleasant fit and were very heavy.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have 2 sets of galvin green waterproof trousers. I don’t know their particular names but I’ve got the paclite ones that I normally wear as they are pretty light and you don’t really notice them. Plus a pair that have a lining. I only normally wear those during freezing winter days as they are really warm compared to the paclite.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A suggestion for you. If I know it is going to rain for sure during a round I will wear waterproof trousers alone, no regular trousers underneath. I used to overheat but tried this one time and it was a revelation, so much more comfortable on anything other than a cold day. If it doesn't rain much, so what? You just play in waterproof trousers for 18 holes, it doesn't matter. Saves stressing about overheating.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
A suggestion for you. If I know it is going to rain for sure during a round I will wear waterproof trousers alone, no regular trousers underneath. I used to overheat but tried this one time and it was a revelation, so much more comfortable on anything other than a cold day. If it doesn't rain much, so what? You just play in waterproof trousers for 18 holes, it doesn't matter. Saves stressing about overheating.
I do that if I know it's going to rain - My Proquip trousers have a fly zip and aren't really suited to wearing over other trousers - but they work really well on their own.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have Galvin Green waterproof jacket and trousers.
I got the jacket first which is Paclite as this was lighter and was easier to swing in. If it’s cold I merely layer up.
The trousers are the Performance ones which are thicker, I only bought them as I got a good deal.
I would buy Paclite as it’s lighter and easier to fold up in the golf bag.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played in pure misery bank holiday Monday, it started on the first and never stopped lashing all day. I was wearing GG Wintra, which look like and are like normal trousers but “water resistant”. Are they ever. Had thermal leggings underneath and they didn’t see a drop of rain. I’m never buying water proof trousers again.

Boomy

Visit site
I played in pure misery bank holiday Monday, it started on the first and never stopped lashing all day. I was wearing GG Wintra, which look like and are like normal trousers but “water resistant”. Are they ever. Had thermal leggings underneath and they didn’t see a drop of rain. I’m never buying water proof trousers again.

Now, this brings a new dimension... I have also been looking at the Footjoy hydroknit trousers which are marketed the same as the GG Wintra by the sounds of it ?

My thoughts are though: if I’m away in an open competition, play in the Wintra as it’s raining I then have to get changed before going into the clubhouse or I’ll be in damp trousers to sit down? Do they stay damp on the outside I guess is the question? Otherwise I may as well wear waterproofs over normal trousers?

I can’t find GG Wintra online? Is it a different spelling please Curls?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now, this brings a new dimension... I have also been looking at the Footjoy hydroknit trousers which are marketed the same as the GG Wintra by the sounds of it ?

My thoughts are though: if I’m away in an open competition, play in the Wintra as it’s raining I then have to get changed before going into the clubhouse or I’ll be in damp trousers to sit down? Do they stay damp on the outside I guess is the question? Otherwise I may as well wear waterproofs over normal trousers?

Sorry quite right @Lord Tyrion they are Stromberg. Good spot.

Hadn’t thought of that scenario @Boomy if I were sitting for a meal or whatever I’d bring another pair for sure. No one was hanging around that day ? But I drove home and the seat wasn’t wet or anything and like I say, thermals dry, the trousers were just damp all right I wouldn’t have sat in them all evening.

At the club we have a violent faucet installed on an ancient burial ground and when I forget, which is every time as per the curse, I marvel at how the water just beads and rolls off the front of my trousers sparing what would be blushes, if I could blush, which I can’t, but that’s a story for another interview.

What I love about them is if it looks like it might rain or showers I don’t need to faff. There’s enough faffing going on. Man days like that I’d love a caddy. Or to not be golfing.

Boomy

Visit site
Thanks for the tips and feedback everyone, much appreciated ??

I’ve ordered 2 pairs of the new weather tech Stromberg trousers to try. I do like the idea of the day to day style waterproofed troo’s ?

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site

I can’t find GG Wintra online? Is it a different spelling please Curls?

I have the GG Andy which are great in colder weather and these https://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk/footjoy-mens-hydroknit-waterproof-trouser/

These are great light comfortable and very waterproof so I tend to reach for these before the GG

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I have Galvin Green as my waterproof jacket, I use Gore-tex walking trousers as the waterproof shell. I don't need a golf specific fit on my legs and they are less than half the price of Galvin Green.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the tips and feedback everyone, much appreciated ??

I’ve ordered 2 pairs of the new weather tech Stromberg trousers to try. I do like the idea of the day to day style waterproofed troo’s ?

How you getting on with these please mate?

Boomy

Visit site
How you getting on with these please mate?

I got 2 pairs of the Stromberg Weather Tech (the newest model, 2 for £90 or £59.90 a pair) I’m impressed with them so far, I’ve not been caught in prolonged major rain whilst wearing them but have been caught in heavy showers and the water just beaded off. They’re breathable and light but are definitely a bit warmer than standard trousers. They’re pretty quiet, I didn’t notice any noise tbh but a PP said I was like a walking crisp packet (although he just likes taking the P out of anything he can) They’re perfect for days with showers forecast and they look great, really nice cut. I got the grey and navy colours.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got 2 pairs of the Stromberg Weather Tech (the newest model, 2 for £90 or £59.90 a pair) I’m impressed with them so far, I’ve not been caught in prolonged major rain whilst wearing them but have been caught in heavy showers and the water just beaded off. They’re breathable and light but are definitely a bit warmer than standard trousers. They’re pretty quiet, I didn’t notice any noise tbh but a PP said I was like a walking crisp packet (although he just likes taking the P out of anything he can) They’re perfect for days with showers forecast and they look great, really nice cut. I got the grey and navy colours.

? Your PP is a hoot, they don’t make any noise especially compared to over the trouser waterproofs! Glad you like them I’ve been caught a few times this year and legs stay dry. Paired with thermal leggings they are a great option and most importantly for me - no faffing.

Now if someone could invent a trolley that doesn’t tip over when the umbrella catches a gust they can take my money. I appreciate putting a very large weight in the front pocket would probably do it but that’s a bit of a faff. I’m trying to reduce faff.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On rainy days I carry a couple of 40L waste bin liners (ones with the tie tops). I roll my wet gear and put it in the bags till I get home. Job done.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now if someone could invent a trolley that doesn’t tip over when the umbrella catches a gust they can take my money. I appreciate putting a very large weight in the front pocket would probably do it but that’s a bit of a faff. I’m trying to reduce faff.
Ditch the umbrella, I have. Waterproof trousers, jacket, bucket hat, rain gloves. Sorted, no faff. If it is so windy that it can blow your trolley over then the rain is coming from all angles and that is always a losing battle. It's quite liberating when you accept that :D

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m looking into waterproof trousers at the moment and tried on some GG Andy’s last night - they were very comfortable but seemed quite ‘heavy’ After a little bit of research I spotted that GG do an Arthur model which is advertised as paclite - has anyone got any first hand experience with both models, and if so are the Arthur a lot lighter than the Andy? I tend to overheat with waterproofs on so am trying to find something light to go over my standard trousers. I do have some adidas ‘shower proof’ trousers I use on days where it’s only the odd light shower but need something for more persistent rain days. I’ve also tried on some Sunderland ones but they weren’t a pleasant fit and were very heavy.

I have the andy ones. They do a good job. In the summer you are kind of snookered with the waterproofs just by the way they are designed. In order to stop the moisture getting in it also kind of stops a lot getting out too. In the winter you have no problem with the sweating as its so cold outside. I just put a pair of thermal leggins under them in winter. Wearing shorts under them in summer helps. I also find if you unzip the bottom and fasten the Velcro bit it creates a wee hole to allow the air to get in round the legs.

Boomy

Visit site
? Your PP is a hoot, they don’t make any noise especially compared to over the trouser waterproofs! Glad you like them I’ve been caught a few times this year and legs stay dry. Paired with thermal leggings they are a great option and most importantly for me - no faffing.

I’m all for the no faff too ? No having to faff putting waterproof over trousers on and no faffing with bin bags after either ✔️ I don’t think I’ll need thermal leggings in them until winter as they’re plenty warm for spring/summer/autumn ? I’m interested to see how they perform after a proper soaking and how quick they dry afterwards.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Last question mate, where did you get them from?

Thanks for the reply.