Gaining a handicap

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Sorry I’m sure this question has been asked loads of times but is it just 3 cards I need for a handicap signed by a member of the club?

Or do I have to be a member of a club in order to gain a handicap?

Cheers

wjemather

Visit site
Sorry I’m sure this question has been asked loads of times but is it just 3 cards I need for a handicap signed by a member of the club?

Or do I have to be a member of a club in order to gain a handicap?

Cheers
To obtain an official handicap you'll either need to be a member of a club affiliated to the national union or a member of that union's independent golfer scheme (currently - unless I've missed their launches - only Scotland have such a scheme).

Then you'll need to submit scores from 54 holes (from any combination of 9 and 18-hole rounds), verified by a person acceptable to your handicap committee.

Tinkerman

Visit site
At the moment, yes, you need to be a member of a club to gain an official handicap. But England Golf are going to introduce a mechanism by which people, who arent a member anywhere, can get one.
^This. If you aren't a club member just wait a few weeks for the new England Golf scheme for non-members. Apparently it will be £40 a year and you'll get insurance as well as the opportunity to hold a proper handicap. When you submit your scores you will need either a club member or another person who has joined that scheme to attest your scores.