Gailes Golf Club

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's worth it in my opinion. You have Western Gailes across the road which is probably a better course but it's more expensive.

Dundonald is also less than a mile away and in my opinion a better test of golf overall, you won't be disappointed in any of them is my honest assessment.

If you're looking for value look at Barassie, Prestwick St Nicholas or even West Kilbride. They should all be cheaper.

DCB

Visit site
Played there a couple of times last year. Lots of work going on to cut back gorse, but, overall a very enjoyable experience. Course was in excellent condition and I found the greens very much to my liking on each visit. During the very hot dry spell they were very fast and firm. Certainly worth the green fee imo. We played in front of a group of American visitors who more than happy with their round. One dish on the menu has to be tried, mince with an egg on top.... an acquired taste I'd have thought ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played there a couple of times last year. Lots of work going on to cut back gorse, but, overall a very enjoyable experience. Course was in excellent condition and I found the greens very much to my liking on each visit. During the very hot dry spell they were very fast and firm. Certainly worth the green fee imo. We played in front of a group of American visitors who more than happy with their round. One dish on the menu has to be tried, mince with an egg on top.... an acquired taste I'd have thought ;)

That not collops...

For me mince and tatties is the food of the gods

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
i know for a fact you wouldnt be spashing out £100 for a round there, you boys gripped about £50 for the New:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You're right the way my game is ATM wouldn't pay £100 for any of them, though we do play them in open comps and Golf Scotland events at much reduced rates.
But I was really tempted by Golf Scotland's latest offer, a pairs comp played over 2 days, 1st round at Kings Barons and 2nd round at the Kings course Gleneagles.
A 2 round Stableford comp both scores count, £235 PP, 1st prize £1000. plus other prizes.
BTW , we use to play St Andrews old for £7, the Kings and Glen Devon courses at Glen Eagles only cost £14 , early 80s.

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Glasgow gailes is a cracking track, I much prefer it to western gailes. Western has a couple of memorable holes but in my opinion it's a boring course to play and has quite a few bland holes. Dundonald is a good course aswell though you dont get the same authenticity as you would with Glasgow gailes etc. Theres Kilmarnock barassie aswell which is a good course aswell and well worth playing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i played Killermont, watching them all eating this put me off my lunch:sick:

D

Deleted member 21258

Am looking at the off season rates, with a budget of less than £200 for a 4ball.

Many thanks for the replies and the other course suggestions, thanks greatly appreciated, will have a look, fairly sure I may miss out on the egg and mince combo :eek: :D

Thanks.(y)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
https://www.gaileslinks.co.uk/green-fees.html

Is the course worth playing for the money or is there a nicer one in the area for similar money ?

Thanks in advance for any hints or advice.(y)

I would say well worth the October rate at £55 or £60 (given that's only a month away now).
It's a tough, Championship course. Long holes, penal rough and double bunkering around some greens. Also central fairway bunkers are basically a shot or half a shot gone.

I played it in February with cold air and not much run and didn't enjoy it much, simply because my game wasn't up to it.

But there are some great holes and great green complexes.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Glasgow gailes is a cracking track, I much prefer it to western gailes. Western has a couple of memorable holes but in my opinion it's a boring course to play and has quite a few bland holes. Dundonald is a good course aswell though you dont get the same authenticity as you would with Glasgow gailes etc. Theres Kilmarnock barassie aswell which is a good course aswell and well worth playing.
Is Glasgow gailes in bearsden