funniest moment or most stupid shot

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

What the most stupid shot you have played or the funniest thing that has happened on the course to you?

Me Tried to hit a five iron from a steep bunker when i really should have been playing backwards. left foot massively higher than the right took a swipe at it missed the ball, hit my foot, bent my shaft, and fell flat on my back, playing partners were in fits of laughter, could hardly walk afterwards bruised my foot badly but finished the round, took a 9 on that hole, Hillarious although painful, but thats the game of golf to me .

Whats yours all?

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
try this for a laugh ...if ur out for a few holes and the course is quiet..tee ur ball up as usual ,get the butt end of ur driver and holdit against ur forehead and spin round 5 times ,starin at the head of the club ,then try and tee off ....quality .. :D :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a few comedy moments already. Several involve a driver, a tree and the ball landing 20 yards behind me.

The most embarrassing was my attempts to hit a ball over a 2 inch high kerb stone at the side of a path that was between me and the green. 4 times I managed to top the ball and 4 times I had to walk back and hit the ball from further away. All I had to do was get the ball 2 inches off the ground but even that was beyond me.

Have also seen my brother, who has one hell of a drive on him, welly the ball into the ladies tee marker and have to hit the deck as it flew back over his head like a balistic missile.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi All

What the most stupid shot you have played or the funniest thing that has happened on the course to you?

Me Tried to hit a five iron from a steep bunker when i really should have been playing backwards. left foot massively higher than the right took a swipe at it missed the ball, hit my foot, bent my shaft, and fell flat on my back, playing partners were in fits of laughter, could hardly walk afterwards bruised my foot badly but finished the round, took a 9 on that hole, Hillarious although painful, but thats the game of golf to me .

Whats yours all?

:D

too many to list but a few would be....

1) teeing off behind an old member when visiting a club in Dorset. We tried to usher him through but (in retrospect) he thought he would put us on the spot and have something to laugh with the lads at the 19th over.

We didn't let him down. I thought I would be smart and better my odds by playing a safe 6 iron off the tee to a tight dog leg right- plop- straight in the pond 20 feet away

It's the only time weve ever used a davros(golf cart) and I was more than happy to put the peddle to the metal(all 5 mph of it) to escape.

2) when the missus hit a fairway wood at our then home course and I was standing about 50 yards ahead and about 60 degrees off to the right of her target line. Thought to myself, 'there's no way the daft apeth can crown me from here' WRONG.

Caught one on my big toe which swelled up nicely and the nail has since died. To this day I don't even stand in front of her if she's putting from 10 inches

Golf - ya gotta laugh

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
.....Got to the 9th hole (last) of a summer Wednesday club night, was bang on level gross for the first 8 holes. Desperate to make my birdie putt at this par 3, I stood behind a snaky 7 footer across the sloping green, stepped backwards, read it again, still not happy, stepped back to read it again, and fell arse over tit into the massive bunker!!

The other guys tried to give me multiple penalties for testing the sand, as I rummaged around for my glasses.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
1/4 final of club championship. 1st tee. par 4.

driver off the heel forward 30 yards, hit a well, came right back at me, I jumped up to avoid it, it bounced down the path and hit the pro shop door 20 yards behind me with some force just missing the window. A sheepish walk back to reclaim my ball uttering "your hole, lets move"

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar to GB but mine was the concrete edging on the winter tees - on three successive holes. Culminated at the third of them in taking a massive swipe in the hope of at least getting past it - mistake.
Richoted off the concrete, back past the tee where upon it hit the groundsman's tractor (he wasn't in it - too busy laughing), reversed direction, came back past the tee to end cleanly in the lake.
To make matters worse, I was going solo and had just been let through by a group of elderly ladies who had the good manners to let me escape the tee before collapsing.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the First hole a my old club I drove the green on a monday. the tuesday after, I went to the tee and joined up with 3 other blokes, I said we better wait for the green to clear before we tee off just encase..... minutes later i step up tried spanking it one ended up hitting the ball with the very heel of the club and sent it about 20yrds left into the bushes, never felt such a plonker !!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is unbelievable but is honestly true. I was playing with a couple of older guys (65-70 year olds) who use a buggy due to joint pain caused by walking. We were in a fourball so I was walking the course with one guy, whilst the other two used the buggy.

We got to the 11th hole and all four of the group had played to the green. I walked off towards the green and the two older gentleman proceeded to use their buggy. However the guy driving got his foot (only god knows how) stuck between the accelerator and the brake, with the accelerator jammed to the floor. I herd his cires as he came hurtling towards me and the other guy walking, and he only just managed to swerve round me, before realising he was approaching the green fast. And what with putting the welfare of the course first he yanked the steering wheel to the left and proceeded to drive into and through a bunker, before crashing into the boundary fence. At which stage the jolt from the collision unwedged his foot. Both men were ok luckily and we simply headed back to the clubhouse, where the driver (hes not short of a few bob) paid comprehensively for the damage he had caused. At the time my heart was pounding but looking back on it, how stupid can you get!

T

thecraw

Told this already on here, but I was playing a "friendly" four ball in Millport. It was a quality day when we came the the 17th. Its a 400+ yard par 4 nice hole OOB all down the right handside.

One of the fourball proceeded to hit a cut which was always heading OB when his ball happened to bounce full toss on the back of a poor cow happily grazing in the OOB field and hopped the fence back into play by about 12 inches.

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
heard this funny story from an older member of our club ....
picture this .....18th tee of the old course ,guy tee`s it up and unleashes this drive up 18 ...but cuts it towards `rusacks hotel` and ob ,,and smashes into a car coming down the road ..driver slams on the brakes and gets out to survey the damage ...headlight obliterated!!!and starts sceamin that he`s only had the car a few days ....and what was the golfer going tu du about it !!! to which the golfer responds - i`m just going to strengthen ma left hand grip to stop cuttin it !!!!!!! :D :D :D

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few things come to mind--My worse and funniest moment--on teh first tee a number of groups standing around waiting to play, hit my tee shot ball flys look and strikes the bin on the forward tees loops high in the air and lands 20 yds behind me,played at least my second shot was well struck.

The Walter Mitty i referred to in another post was involved in two incidents that deserve airing-- He was walking down the fairway on a very warm sunny day when the group behind saw him keel over and naturally when to investigate-it appears he was struck by a ball from an adjacent fairway-the golfer who struck the ball shouted fore however Mitty just put his hands to his face and the ball when through his hands and hit him dead middle of the forehead.

On another occassion he put his ball into an area marked GUR and he was advised by the starter not to enter the GUR as the ground was not safe-the ball was just inside the cordon, Mitty decided to enter to get his ball and sank upto his waist in the foulest gunge. Undaunted he went and changed his trousers and finished the round having requested his playing partners to wait.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I played a 70 yard bunkershot a little too hot with a wedge and watched in agony as it went as clean as a whistle right with the trajectory of a 5 iron right at the large glass frontage of our clubhouse, narrowly missed the glass and left a permanent reminder....until it gets re-white washed!

ForeLeft

Medal Winner
Visit site
there are so many in my short golfing career. My 2 favourites are:

1. Taking a forum members advice down the range to groove and in to out swingpath, I placed my brand new headcover just outside the target line and proceeded to drive said headcover straight down the centre of the range. Great shot! Then had to wait for the whistle so I could do the long walk of shame.

2. First (and last) time i tried to hit my 2 iron. 2nd tee, full blooded swing, club slipped out of my hands 40 yards straight into a lake. The only pleasing thing was I actually managed a little draw..... suffice to say I now use a utility club.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have hit a bin and had to play my second shot from 30 yards behind where i tee'd off was quite funny but...

My father in law hates loosing balls and i put one in a stream to the left of a par 3 160 yarder. When we got level with it we couldnt see it but he was addimant he knew where it landed. Spent a couple minutes looking and to my amazement, he found it. Happy as larry (who ever larry is) He decided to step down the slippery slope only to go arse under tit and slide to the bottom, legs in the air. After chuckin me ball up and me pullin him out, his right ass cheek and leg was just covered in mud and he proceeded to curse very quietly but agressivley under his breath. Needless to say, i couldnt play that well afterwards. I just kept gigglin on my tee shots.