Full bag fitting, on proper range.

Ash567

Visit site
I live in east kent and would like a full bag fitting. I am full time carer for my elderly mum. Because of covid-19 I need to find a fitter who operates on a driving range with an open bay to reduce the risk of infection. Ping European fitting centre in Lincolnshire have open bay for fitting but they are a bit too far away. I prefer to be fitted by an independent fitting company or a manufacturer because I'm scared they will recommend whatever they make most profit on. Any help would be appreciated.

Ash567

Visit site
I could get to manston, if they have a fitting bay on the range that would be great, does anyone have any experience with them ? My current set is 15 years old and battered (not fitted) I've only just returned to golf after a break due to illness. I been back to it now two years and been having lessons for the last year, my golf coach doesn't fit clubs. My golf improved massively and feel that more forgiving clubs would help. Also I never got on with drivers, so think a custom fitted driver would help. I hit my three wood 240y.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could get to manston, if they have a fitting bay on the range that would be great, does anyone have any experience with them ? My current set is 15 years old and battered (not fitted) I've only just returned to golf after a break due to illness. I been back to it now two years and been having lessons for the last year, my golf coach doesn't fit clubs. My golf improved massively and feel that more forgiving clubs would help. Also I never got on with drivers, so think a custom fitted driver would help. I hit my three wood 240y.

I havent been fitted there but have had roll up lessons there and have chatted to most of the pros there, they all seen honest.
Ive used the range when they have demo days there and there didnt seem a lot of pressure selling.
If I was going to have a fitting I would certainly consider it.

https://manstongolf.co.uk/golfshopcustomfit.html

The pro Id try and use is Jude :

https://manstongolf.co.uk/juderead.html

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whos your coach and where do you practice ?

Ash567

Visit site
My handicap is 18.4 but feel I'm a better golfer than that. I have in my bag budget forgan irons steel shaft sw,pw, 9-7 then 6-4iron wilson staff hybrid irons graphite shaft (which someone gave me), Taylor made r5 3wood and a ping anson style putter with a dented face. So I deffo need a new set top to bottom. I hit my 7iron 160y in summer but moden clubs have much stronger lofts these days.

Ash567

Visit site
I am worried that if I'm spending 2 grand plus on full bag of clubs and dont choose the right fitter or a fitter that gives me clubs the shop makes more profit on. That it could be a waste of money. Or am I worrying to much and should just go and do it ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am worried that if I'm spending 2 grand plus on full bag of clubs and dont choose the right fitter or a fitter that gives me clubs the shop makes more profit on. That it could be a waste of money. Or am I worrying to much and should just go and do it ?

Go and see Jude, he does all my club repairs and is as honest as they come.
If you PM your name I'll let him know youre looking at booking.

Ash567

Visit site
Gary is awesome, turned my massive slice into a nice draw. I never thought my swing could be a good as it is now. I'm determined to be a single figure handicaper by spring of next year, I'm willing to put in the practice.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gary is awesome, turned my massive slice into a nice draw. I never thought my swing could be a good as it is now. I'm determined to be a single figure handicaper by spring of next year, I'm willing to put in the practice.

I have my lessons with Gary but tend to use the big grass range at Manston.
I dont think there are many other choices in the area, North Foreland fitting is indoors, Canterbury is outdoors but they wont have the fitting selection of Manston. Princes only stock Callaway and Cobra
Royal Cinque ports might be worth a call
https://www.royalcinqueports.com/custom_fitting

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Just make sure you talk to the fitter first, let them know your budget, ask them to talk to your coach before your session. If they agree to do this then your probsbly onto a winner

Go with an open mind, but do some research into clubs you might like.

Id also recommend not getting the full bag in one go, youll be absolutely broken. Go for driver, and putter first. Then see if you can do woods hybrids wedges on a second day. That way you give yourself half a chance to get good gapping and not be dead in your feet!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you are right to choose an independent fitter. I also think you are wise to be aware of Covid risk. It is worth considering that some of the fitting companies have quite spacious and airy studios, and may have air extraction systems (since they also use solvents and the like), and in places like that the increase in risk would be minimal.

Two such places are Precision Golf in West Byfleet and Golf Principles in Basingstoke. I can recommend both places.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One thing I would stick at is not being fitted of your swing is inconsistent or you are working through big changes with a pro, after all the fitted could fit you for completely the wrong clubs.

I found this out the hard way.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I would stick at is not being fitted of your swing is inconsistent or you are working through big changes with a pro, after all the fitted could fit you for completely the wrong clubs.

I found this out the hard way.

Good point, it might be worth asking Gary he thinks you'd benefit from a fitting.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Good point, it might be worth asking Gary he thinks you'd benefit from a fitting.

I wouldnt worry to much about that, unless your working in gym etc looking to massively change speed, then most adjustments can be done as you grow. Having a loft tweak or lie adjustment as your swing changes is easily and relatively cheaply done. As previously mentioned if your fitter can talk with your coach then they can discuss where you are and where you are going.

Your fitter will then be able to fit you with something suitable for your journey.

Dont get caught up in the thought that every swing change needs a new set of clubs. It doesnt. Look at Tiger, his shafts and iron specs have barely changed through his whole career, and he had more lessons and swing changes than we've had hot dinners...

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like Manston - friendly and helpful staff, and the grass driving range is better than any I know of in Kent (other than ranges at exclusive clubs).

I'd definitely give them a chance, if you have the time, I'd consider popping up there in person, having a chat with them, scouting out the facilities and making up your own mind as to whether you want to pay them for a fitting before booking it in.