Fuengirola Golf Trip

massivebelterlad

Club Champion
Visit site
Heading over end of November and staying in Fuengirola for 4 nights. Looking at booking Torrequebrada, Parador de Malaga, Santana and Los Naranjos. I have played Torrequebrada before and rated it. What about the other 3? And are there any other I'm missing out?

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you do a search of Marbella golf on here, there's loads of info.

Looks like a good driving distance between some of those courses, so for what it's worth, I'd throw Santa Clara in the mix. It ain't cheap, but it's very, very good.

Loads of courses, and most are average at worst.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heading over end of November and staying in Fuengirola for 4 nights. Looking at booking Torrequebrada, Parador de Malaga, Santana and Los Naranjos. I have played Torrequebrada before and rated it. What about the other 3? And are there any other I'm missing out?

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Yes, played all of them and in my opinion they are all pretty decent tracks. Los Naranjos is probably the easiest of the three and is popular with Scandinavians. I believe Peter Hanson has links to the course.

Parador is right underneath the airport and is a flat a course as you are likely to find. The planes landing and taking off are only a minor distraction but don't be tempted to look out onto the nudist beach that is adjacent to one of the tees (8?) as it seems to be populated by middle aged men :eek:.

Santana is probably my least favourite of the three but the decent golfers in our group seem to rate it.

There are an abundance of decent courses within a thirty mile radius so just search the net and choose according to your price range. I personally like El Chaparral which is probably the closest to you and is cheap but can be a bit unkempt at times. Sitting on the balcony overlooking the 18th downing copious amounts of alcohol is a great feeling after the 5 1/2 hour round.

Not staying at Club la Costa by any chance are you?

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
Stayed in the area last year and played :-
Estepona - A nice little budget course.
Alcaidesa - Pleasant track but never really warmed to the course despite all of the recommendations.
Los Noranjos - Best course I've ever played. Buggies and clubhouse great. Course very picturesque, interesting and in superb condition. Not a hard course though if you are looking for a challenge.
La Cala(we played the Americas course) - Course in great condition and interesting. Quite hilly and in a beautiful setting.

i would love to play Los Noranjos again and would recomend you also take a look at La Cala.

have a great trip.

MarkHK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Santana was OK when I played it last year, very good condition but I wouldn't rush back. La Cala was very nice, only played the Americas course but am going back next year to play one of the other two( Asia, Europe). El Chaparral and Santa Maria are also both worth a look.

Bratty

Visit site
Another vote for Santa Maria. Great opening par 4 hole that just seems to go downhill forever. Green's driveable for a big-ish hitter. Some interesting holes that really make you think.
I really liked it (although have clearly forgotten all about it!).
Food and beers were good too.

massivebelterlad

Club Champion
Visit site
thanks for your advice guys. Naranjos, torrequebrada and parador staying on the list. So will just have to reconsider the last one.
Going to use golfclubstohire I think as just so expensive to take clubs out for 4 rounds of golf.

massivebelterlad

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes, played all of them and in my opinion they are all pretty decent tracks. Los Naranjos is probably the easiest of the three and is popular with Scandinavians. I believe Peter Hanson has links to the course.

Parador is right underneath the airport and is a flat a course as you are likely to find. The planes landing and taking off are only a minor distraction but don't be tempted to look out onto the nudist beach that is adjacent to one of the tees (8?) as it seems to be populated by middle aged men :eek:.

Santana is probably my least favourite of the three but the decent golfers in our group seem to rate it.

There are an abundance of decent courses within a thirty mile radius so just search the net and choose according to your price range. I personally like El Chaparral which is probably the closest to you and is cheap but can be a bit unkempt at times. Sitting on the balcony overlooking the 18th downing copious amounts of alcohol is a great feeling after the 5 1/2 hour round.

Not staying at Club la Costa by any chance are you?

Nah staying in florida spa in fuengi

Bratty

Visit site
It depends who your flying with and how long you're going for. If you're flying BA, then you can take a golf bag as your checked in bag (and put some clothes in there too), and a suitable-sized cabin case up to 23kg as carry on, plus a small laptop size bag as well.
I went to Spain for 5 nights and did exactly this. Easy.
If you're flying anyone else, then clubstohire is a great option, and I've used them a couple of times and found them to be great. They gave my father in law a free upgrade on arrival, as I needed stiff shafts in the woods, and they just said take the next set up. Nice.

steadyeddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just come back from Estapona area.Alcadeisa Links is worth a visit but if you can get on then you have to play Finca Cortesin.
San Roque new also worth a visit & reasonably priced.

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
We used clubstohire at Malaga airport and couldn't have been easier.

Good modern clubs for 50 Euros saved me £50 to £100 for a travel carrier, £60 for air carriage and most importantly the worry that my own clubs got lost or damaged.

massivebelterlad

Club Champion
Visit site
Decided to take our own clubs in the end it didnt work out anymore than hiring so worth it for me. I have used clubstohire and would certainly recommend them and use them again.

massivebelterlad

Club Champion
Visit site
Los Naranjos was certainly impressive as was Santana. Parador was a good warm up course given its close proximity to the airport but maybe a little scruffy and bland in places. Torrequebrada wasn't helped by the fact that we weren't given a buggy so ended up walking and feeling like mountain goats plus a lot of disease on the fairways and many unrepaired pitch marks on the greens.
Next time I think I will bite the bullet and look for some sort of package for the even better courses. Golfinspain have Valderamma, Finca Cortesin, La reserva and San Roque Old all with buggies for about 700 euros.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was very disappointed with Torrequebrada, for a course that has hosted the Spanish Open I thought it was pretty poor. For anyone going out there, I would recommend saving up and trying to get a tee time for valderrama. Used to be ranked #1 in Europe and the conditioning is exceptional!

massivebelterlad

Club Champion
Visit site
I have played it before when in very good condition and in a buggy and really enjoyed it. However the unfriendly welcome left a bit of a sour taste as did the fact it just seemed tired and overplayed. I think I would certainly look to play Valderrama next time but haven't seen it any cheaper than 290 euros unless in a package deal. Incidentally we tried to go in and have a look at the course and visit the clubhouse but were turned away so just had to make do with the view of the great driving range and the back of one of the greens up a side lane.