Free relief?

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good question you raise there Duncan. I believe that the assessment of danger would be down to the individual golfer. I am ridiculously hypersensitive to wasp stings and therefore I would consider it potentially dangerous to me.

There's a good chance you'd be phoning the pro shop to get a buggy out for me :(

I wouldn't bother asking for a free drop. I'd already be on the next tee.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nope

E.g. Rule 26-1 - "Relief for Ball in Water Hazard"

Edit. Oooops, wake up Mashie - should have scrolled down.

Ah right - OK - I didn't think of 'relief' being used in the context of a water hazard - though I wonder why it is phrased in that way when, for instance, we don't get 'relief' from a general unplayable lie - or do we? I suppose we do as a definition of 'relieve' is To make less tedious, monotonous, or unpleasant and that definition does not state or imply that you get 'relieved' for free or for no further unpleasantness - indeed it might well cost you to get that relief.

I think I have answered my own question.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite right, the fence runs along the side of the green with OOB at the back. The ball was against the side fend but maybe 3 yards from the back OOB so there was a little piece of ground to drop without being nearer the green.

A penalty was taken, but having read this thread I don't think it should have been - we'll know for next time.

I'm confused now. If the post is a boundary fence, then that isn't classified as an obstruction, so the ball is just deemed unplayable and he has to drop within 2 club-lengths no nearer the hole, which could be away from the wasp nest, or go back to the spot where he last played the ball of course. He can't choose the option to drop behind the spot where the ball lay as that is OOB?

Have I misread something in the thread? Why do you think he shouldn't have taken a penalty drop? I don't think he is entitled to free relief

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah right - OK - I didn't think of 'relief' being used in the context of a water hazard - though I wonder why it is phrased in that way when, for instance, we don't get 'relief' from a general unplayable lie - or do we? I suppose we do as a definition of 'relieve' is To make less tedious, monotonous, or unpleasant and that definition does not state or imply that you get 'relieved' for free or for no further unpleasantness - indeed it might well cost you to get that relief.

I think I have answered my own question.

In a way.

Maybe just sematics/pedantry but strictly speaking under the Rules it isn't the lie that is unplayable, it is the ball. So it seems right that it itsn't relief as such, as I suppose technically you aren't necessarily getting relief from anything. You simply have 3 ways to render your ball playable.

Remember all the hoo haa about declaring a ball unplayable on the fairway?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn't this the equivalent of the relief from burrowing animal when the major interference is actually a bleeding great tree and some rhododendrons? Certainly free relief if out in the open though. That 'exclusion' is actually stated at the bottom of 1-4/10. Slightly different (or harsh? or fortunate?) in that the dangerous situation would normally mean that you are required to take relief.

This what I was thinking, if a stroke wasn't possible anyway, you can't take relief from the animal scraping, nest etc.

But I am confused about this fence, is it a boundary and if not, what's it doing there