Forward shaft lean / Line of compression arghhh!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To the OP, this is a comparison between you and Rory MC.
You can see I hope the difference in the angle of the shaft and the right arm which appears to affect the angle of attack.
Work on the drill on my video and you will improve your lag and angle of attack.
Photo4sr.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To the OP, this is a comparison between you and Rory MC.

There's a serious difference between the orientation of the hips (though that my just be Rory's amazing hip action) and the balance. Rory has most of his weight on the left leg while Lyden seems to have very little - in fact the left heel seems to be coming off the ground

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a serious difference between the orientation of the hips (though that my just be Rory's amazing hip action) and the balance. Rory has most of his weight on the left leg while Lyden seems to have very little - in fact the left heel seems to be coming off the ground

Thats the whole point of the drill in my video.
Instead of listing all the things the op is doing wrong, the drill fixes them without the OP even needing to know what he was doing wrong.
Hit the front ball.
Simple
4 faults cured with one swing thought.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll give it some serious practice and see if my angles improve. I put in a few hours a day and my next qualifiers 2 weeks away so no pressure to get it right for a bit.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I get the feeling you are trying to get the club head down to the ball instead of getting the hands down in front of the ball first.

I think you have the makings of a quality swing there.

emery1990

Visit site
This sounded awfully like my old swing, not to say my new swings better but the inconsistency of the shots. My fault was my take away, which we can't see from your video , I was too flat therefore coming over the top of the ball, making way for a variety if shots, if my wrist action wasn't as it was my instructor said I shouldn't be able to hit any if the balls. With my long irons 4 and 3 this was the case. On top if this I also was not shifting my weight forward allowing me to not hit down. This is clearly the case with your swing. What's your connection like, are you staying connected through out your swing?

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Instead of listing all the things the op is doing wrong, the drill fixes them without the OP even needing to know what he was doing wrong.
Hit the front ball.
Simple

I'm definitely going to give this a go as I need a little improvement in this area.

Bob, in the second video posted the guy recommends addressing the rear ball then striking the front ball - would you agree with that?

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Finally ive made some progress and even though its not technically perfect i can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I recorded a new video and altough im not capable of it everytime i atleast know i can do it, Where as before ive never managed these positions.

[video=youtube;TpVEebOZOoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpVEebOZOoU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks for everybodys input.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here's a picture of you at impact...

image.gif

Your hands are under your nose - which is wrong, they should be 6 inches past your nose so that the clubshaft is leaning forwards [yellow line]. With your hands more towards the target and the club leaning more forwards it means your right shoulder can keep turning more downwards (it has to or else the club will pass straight over the top of the ball).

Here's a vid.... see how the head stays back, the hands are well forwards (very much in front of the players nose) and the shoulders keep turning....

[video=youtube;JrDWOrDupuM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrDWOrDupuM[/video]

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just One is correct, you are not getting your hands ahead and compressing the ball. Try to maintain the bend in your right wrist and a flat left wrist. I know it feels powerful when you uncock the wrists through impact but it leads to all kinds of problems and poor impact conditions, if everything is timed to perfection you can get away with it but that would be in around one in forty swings.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with JO and Socket, but excellent progress!

Thinking flat left wrist (at impact) is the key imo.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
So this will be my final post on this subject but just wanted to share my final progress and also a video of where i started for comparison. As far as the results go my ball flights much lower now when i get it right have a nice divot with a lovely back spin sound as it climbs + crack off the clubface. Im not pulling this off on every strike at the moment otherwise id be off to mexico for an original
sombrero.

This is where i started back in april.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mPaMcTDRaw&feature=youtu.be

This is me now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIb2JaivDS8&feature=youtu.be

cheers for all your help & advice.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Very good,.... ball a little more forwards, hands a little more forwards and allow the right shoulder to turn down to the ball a little more. Backswing plane looks a LITTLE flat..... but all in all that's very, very good progress :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hit the front ball.
Simple

Tried this on the range today - first proper chance I've had.

After a couple of wobbly ones, it was hugely effective!

Much better contact, nice divot, generally a soft draw (highly unusual for me) and about 15 yards extra carry!

Might become part of the warm-up process from now on!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Tried this on the range today - first proper chance I've had.

After a couple of wobbly ones, it was hugely effective!

Much better contact, nice divot, generally a soft draw (highly unusual for me) and about 15 yards extra carry!

Might become part of the warm-up process from now on!

so you weren't swinging properly before? :whistle:

;);)

3righthands

Visit site
If the OP has gone for good good luck to him if he has no form of injury in the next couple of years!

If he's reading heres my take;

Your turn in the takeaway is going to cause you issues, plus hurt your back at some point, you are not getting into a proper position at the top that allows you to ever get the lower body move forward first and the upper body last.

Also look at your left foot after impact as an indicator of progress...check this video and look at his front foot.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMTMSp7lBAQ

My view is if you try and get the shaft lean its nothing more than a flip as...get the body to create the shaft lean.