Forward shaft lean / Line of compression arghhh!

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
So ive spent a lot of time trying to work this out but no matter what i do i still cant seem to achieve it. Ive had lessons in the past and nothing has helped. I hit the ball very clean most of the time and i create a lot of speed despite the cast but im longing for a lower ball flight that isnt hammered by the wind. Ive posted a video as i could do with some advice, its not quite as easy as lag the clubhead and keep the hands moving through impact as ive found out. Its driving me mad.

[video=youtube;OP3OxCZx2Y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3OxCZx2Y4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Doesn't look as if you are getting your weight onto your left leg properly. Should be almost 90% and you look as if you've simply returned to address position.

It's not the cast (is there one?) that's the problem. It's the early release/flip that happens after the half-way down point.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I suppose i must mean early release. Ive video'd my practice swings and i lag the club head properly and my impact position is spot on however you can see the clubface is open even when im pretending im hitting a ball. So im guessing my early release is a subconcious attempt to square the clubface.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn't look as if you are getting your weight onto your left leg properly. Should be almost 90% and you look as if you've simply returned to address position.

It's not the cast (is there one?) that's the problem. It's the early release/flip that happens after the half-way down point.

... Is the right answer
Have a look at your frames from 9oclock to 6oclock
Your left arm is straight and aligned with your shaft at about 7.30, when it needs to be aligned at closer to 5.30
I would have thought with the fall off the back of your mat you would have been transferring your weight naturally;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
One thing I have noticed in your swing, especially at take away, and the first few feet of the back swing is:

A) You appear to fan the face open in the back swing, opening up the club face. As a result the club face is pointing to the sky at the top of your swing (shut)

And

B) The club head seems to travel behind you quite a bit making you very flat at the top of your back swing.

I was exactly the same before I had a series of lessons.

I know it's not what you asked but I'd worry about getting yourself into a good position at the top, before worrying about your lag.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ive video'd my practice swings and i lag the club head properly and my impact position is spot on

I don't think the impact position is anywhere near right! Yours is pretty near back to address.

Here's a pic that shows the difference.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...4fUpTPIoeS0QWQioDoDQ&ved=0CFEQ9QEwBw&dur=1032

One thing you could do is make sure your wrists work as in the pics. Left/Right are Bent/Flat at address and Flat/Bent at impact

Btw. That ups-lope you are hitting off, if real, is actually not helping either imo. as it's giving a false feeling that you are hitting down (well, less of a flip than in reality) so it ill be worse out on flat grass.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its something I am working on at the minute. weight transfer. as mentioned above, you are not getting off your back leg. it is planted to the ground at and after impact. the only reason it comes up is because it is attached to your rotating body.

I have the exact same move. I don't cast the club like you. I am extremely flat though :(

I like your initial take away. you could try putting in more shaft lean at address.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't think the impact position is anywhere near right! Yours is pretty near back to address.

Here's a pic that shows the difference.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...4fUpTPIoeS0QWQioDoDQ&ved=0CFEQ9QEwBw&dur=1032

I agree. The hands need to pass the crotch before impact, however it's a double edged sword because in order for that to happen the right shoulder has to turn down towards the ball more too. Right now you impact in front of the crotch with a high right shoulder - so a poor impact position is actively affecting your turn - and vice versa.

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
So ive spent a lot of time trying to work this out but no matter what i do i still cant seem to achieve it. Ive had lessons in the past and nothing has helped. I hit the ball very clean most of the time and i create a lot of speed despite the cast but im longing for a lower ball flight that isnt hammered by the wind. Ive posted a video as i could do with some advice, its not quite as easy as lag the clubhead and keep the hands moving through impact as ive found out. Its driving me mad.

Try this: -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfQ4G97ZxI

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers all, I'll give your suggestions a go in another 6 hour stint tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a new video with some progress.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I have noticed in your swing, especially at take away, and the first few feet of the back swing is:

A) You appear to fan the face open in the back swing, opening up the club face. As a result the club face is pointing to the sky at the top of your swing (shut)

And

B) The club head seems to travel behind you quite a bit making you very flat at the top of your back swing.

I was exactly the same before I had a series of lessons.

I know it's not what you asked but I'd worry about getting yourself into a good position at the top, before worrying about your lag.

That can't be right surely? If you open the club face up on the backswing it has to be open at the top, no?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
That can't be right surely? If you open the club face up on the backswing it has to be open at the top, no?

You would think but no. If the club face is pointing up toward the sky the clubface face been opened and is in a closed (shut) position.

I used to suffer from similar, not because I fanned the face open but because I had an excessively strong grip.

Edit: if the club face were to be returned to the ball, from that position, with no manipulation, it would be open at impact.

I used to suffer a horrendous block because of it.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take a look at this video 'The Right Hand Drill' It uses the concept of the flying wedge and will hopefully give you something to work on:

[video=youtube;HJTe6me7LTk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTe6me7LTk[/video]

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I do take a divot but only a thin top layer, some of the lads a play with who are pros knock out a slab 2 inches deep. The problem ive had with instructors in the past is they dont really give it a priority because it doesnt cost me any distance. I dont really have a particular miss because its very much dependant on my manipulation of the clubface so i hit roughly 35% draw 20% straight 20% fade the other 25% ranges from hooks to wild balooning slices. Its this 25% thats killing my scores.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
See post #5 :D

Ha i did take what you said on and i do certainly fan the club open with a partially cupped wrist at the top. I strapped a plastic ruler to my wrist in an attempt to stop it today but i was having to bend my left arm to keep my wrist flat. Think ill have to leave this kind of work till October when the qualifiers are over and done with.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A simple fix to fanning the club open is to keep the logo of your glove velcro closure pointing at/towards the ball for as long as possible.

Obviously you can't keep it there all the way to the top, but your movement that opens the face starts, pretty much, as you draw the club back.

A check point to show you're in the correct position of your wrist is when the shaft is parallel to the floor in the take away, stop, and look at the toe of the club. Specifically where it points.

It should, roughly mirror your spine angle, If you fan your wrists, as you do, the toe will point to the sky.