Forum Opportunity June issue

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Firstly apologies if I missed any updates from Homer.

Following on from this thread
http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?97030-Forum-Opportunities

I was interested today to see in the new GM mag that hit the door mat Martin got selected for some coaching and a feature in the magazine.

Can an I ask please Homer a few questions?

How long ago did you apply?
When was the feature shot?
I read it was at the London club.

I see see the top 25 coach picked up issues in your swing.

Did the lesson help?
Paul obviously made some changes to the swing, how easy was it to adapt to the changes?
How long did it take for the changes to feel “normal “?

How much of a difference to your handicap have the changes made?
Did the changes fix the fault of missing the target left?

was it just one lesson or is there a follow up with the coach or another feature in the magazine to come?

congrats on being selected, must be great to get all that help and advice for just belonging to a forum, shows what a great place it is.

Not sure with being being new to the forum if this should be a thread or PM but obviously Homer has lots of posts so must be a bit of a forum legend and as it’s such an interesting topic guessed a post so everyone can understand the experience was the best way.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
If I recall correctly, Homer felt that the changes suggested were too difficult to impliment (or words to that effect) and that he was going to stick to his old ways. Time will tell of he is right.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a chipping/pitching lesson from Paul that day and the guy is great and makes things so simple.

not being a member and playing regular hasn’t made it easy to practise but I do feel more confident with the technique he taught me that day

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I recall correctly, Homer felt that the changes suggested were too difficult to impliment (or words to that effect) and that he was going to stick to his old ways. Time will tell of he is right.

Not strictly true. I suffered a lot over the winter with a bad back and some ill health and so struggled to practice regularly and begin to break the cycle of old habits and implement the changes. I did struggle to feel a shortened swing in the lesson, partly I feel to my overly quick tempo and snatched takeaway along with old school habits of a big wrist cock.

Now the longer nights are here again, and touch wood I am back to full health, it's something I will be working on. I did actually do a couple of things in warm up today (flared foot and tried to shorten everything) and some immediate progress. I couldn't replicate that on the course but I need to work on it. Definitely not sticking to the old ways. Just a question of knuckling down now and making the changes permanent.

To answer the OP

How long ago did you apply? - I think they ran the offer August time
When was the feature shot? - late September
I read it was at the London club. - Correct. They were brilliant and great hosts. Unlimited range balls and excellent facilities

Did the lesson help? - Definitely and I started to work on it before my back went and I struggled with some ill health.
Paul obviously made some changes to the swing, how easy was it to adapt to the changes? - Hard to adopt on the day but that's no reflection on his teaching methods which were simple, easy to understand and made perfect sense
How long did it take for the changes to feel “normal “? - They don't yet. I am about to revisit it again and review the video I shot on the day and begin the work to change the swing

How much of a difference to your handicap have the changes made? No change. I was 14 on the day and 14 now (until the medal tomorrow where I might hit 14.5)
Did the changes fix the fault of missing the target left? - Yes and no. It's reduced the severity of the miss but the left side is still the main miss.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a chipping/pitching lesson from Paul that day and the guy is great and makes things so simple.

not being a member and playing regular hasn’t made it easy to practise but I do feel more confident with the technique he taught me that day

Chipped well ill on the Kent tour mate, hope you are well and getting a bit more golf in

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not strictly true. I suffered a lot over the winter with a bad back and some ill health and so struggled to practice regularly and begin to break the cycle of old habits and implement the changes. I did struggle to feel a shortened swing in the lesson, partly I feel to my overly quick tempo and snatched takeaway along with old school habits of a big wrist cock.

Now the longer nights are here again, and touch wood I am back to full health, it's something I will be working on. I did actually do a couple of things in warm up today (flared foot and tried to shorten everything) and some immediate progress. I couldn't replicate that on the course but I need to work on it. Definitely not sticking to the old ways. Just a question of knuckling down now and making the changes permanent.

To answer the OP

How long ago did you apply? - I think they ran the offer August time
When was the feature shot? - late September
I read it was at the London club. - Correct. They were brilliant and great hosts. Unlimited range balls and excellent facilities

Did the lesson help? - Definitely and I started to work on it before my back went and I struggled with some ill health.
Paul obviously made some changes to the swing, how easy was it to adapt to the changes? - Hard to adopt on the day but that's no reflection on his teaching methods which were simple, easy to understand and made perfect sense
How long did it take for the changes to feel “normal “? - They don't yet. I am about to revisit it again and review the video I shot on the day and begin the work to change the swing

How much of a difference to your handicap have the changes made? No change. I was 14 on the day and 14 now (until the medal tomorrow where I might hit 14.5)
Did the changes fix the fault of missing the target left? - Yes and no. It's reduced the severity of the miss but the left side is still the main miss.

Thanks for for the reply Homer

sorry to read of your I’ll health, I never realised reading your posts on here about games you had played.

Having had 7 odd months since the lesson and not been able to implement the swing changes, now the better weather is here do you think it’s something you can introduce?
was there a follow up with the coach included?

shame there have been no handicap improvements but interesting that you think he helped with the dispersion issue.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for for the reply Homer

sorry to read of your I’ll health, I never realised reading your posts on here about games you had played.

Having had 7 odd months since the lesson and not been able to implement the swing changes, now the better weather is here do you think it’s something you can introduce?
was there a follow up with the coach included?

shame there have been no handicap improvements but interesting that you think he helped with the dispersion issue.

It was back issues in the main that curtailed any meaningful practice and tried to play through it which was a mistake. Hard work starts tomorrow. I did plan to arrange a follow up with Paul Foston at his Kent academy and will now do so in a few months once I've done the initial hard work and started to make the changes. Hoping once I shorten everything and dispersion improves the handicap will tumble as I have more control over the ball