Form ?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
How does one go in and out of it ?

Start of this season I was playing very steady, dropped 3 shots, scored more rounds in the 70s than I ever had, then plateaued but remained consistent, then nearer the end of the season, couldn't hit a barn door from 10 yards, this went on for about 6 weeks, yet the last few weeks (game at Gleneagles aside) I'm back hitting mid 70's again.

Sure this is the same for most but there seems to be no explanation for it, we all think we're doing exactly the same as we always have been, so what gives :unsure:

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Intangible influences such as form and momentum are part of the subtle beauties of sport. They cant be quantified, there isnt some ready answer on google or can be achieved or understood from a scientific calculation. they are capricious and ethereal, which help make sport so intriguing and fascinating.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When you think about it, we swing a stick thats at least 3 feet long, possibly longer, with a lump on the end of it at anywhere between 50 and 120 mph in an arc that is quite large ( I'm sure I could work it out but I can't be bothered) in an attempt to bring that lump into contact with a small ball a few feet away from us, trying to ensure that the centre of the lump connects with the ball at the correct angles to propel the ball in the desired direction with the desired flight.
All this happens in a second or two.
It's a bloody miracle we make any contact at all!!

Golf is a game of degrees
A couple out here or there and your shot is rubbish...

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think confidence plays a big part in it.

You think you're going to play a good shot, you do. Confidence goes on to the next shot.

The slightest doubt and you're knackered. Doubts start to flood your mind. (This is where I've been for the last 3 or 4 years.)

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
You put a ball of diameter 1.68 inches on a ball (more or less) of diameter about 7900 miles then - you try to hit the smaller one! It's a miracle you can hit it at all.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Its all about biorhythms and alcohol. I wish I knew the answer. From March to the end of May my game, that had been missing for 3 years, returned with a vengeance. It culminated in a 1 under gross/43pts. Then it was 2 weeks away from golf, and the game dipped. I'm shooting around 30-36pts, off 6, pretty much every single time I'm out. Picking winning almost every week but I'm either finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I just can't put in a decent score. The birdies have dried up, and the run of eagles are nowhere in sight. I'm hitting pretty much every single fairway, something I haven't done for years, and my long game into greens is awesome. I can't chip or putt to save my life.

Bloody frustrating game!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a period in my golfing life that lasted about 10 years when virtually every game was within a margin of about 6 shots (70-76) . These days my games vary by as much as 14 shots (75-89).