Forgiving irons

5OTT

Visit site
Just looking for a bit of advise if possible,

52 years old and have been playing golf for around 25 years, at best I have been a 13 HCP but i have now gone up to 16.
I have been playing Ping G25 irons for about 6 years and recently got seduced by the look of some Srixon Z765 irons, my iron game as gone to the dogs over the last 12 months and i think the time has come to stop massaging my ego and look for something that will really help me. My shot shape is generally a slight draw but recently I have gone through a bad case of the shanks.

I get plenty of distance with my woods and i am quite happy to keep them.

Anyone have any suggestions regarding forgiving iron?

I generally prefer to buy clubs second hand and have been looking at the Callaway Maverik irons, that said i have an open budget and just want to get back to being able to enjoy the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

Can't go wrong with Ping G series, maybe look at one of the newer versions?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you like the look of the 765s take a look at the 565s.....plenty of forgiveness with those.
Or Mizuno Hot Metal/Pro.
G series Pings are always a good bet.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looking for a bit of advise if possible,

52 years old and have been playing golf for around 25 years, at best I have been a 13 HCP but i have now gone up to 16.
I have been playing Ping G25 irons for about 6 years and recently got seduced by the look of some Srixon Z765 irons, my iron game as gone to the dogs over the last 12 months and i think the time has come to stop massaging my ego and look for something that will really help me. My shot shape is generally a slight draw but recently I have gone through a bad case of the shanks.

I get plenty of distance with my woods and i am quite happy to keep them.

Anyone have any suggestions regarding forgiving iron?

I generally prefer to buy clubs second hand and have been looking at the Callaway Maverik irons, that said i have an open budget and just want to get back to being able to enjoy the game.

The 765 is a 'better players' club with some but not a massive amount of forgiveness. Fine in shortish irons, probably less good in longer. I have a blended set of the next generation (although not much different) 785 (8-PW) and 585 (4-7). That balances the forgiveness and extra distance of the 585s with the cleaner look and precision of the 785.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Mizuno MP20 HMB should be on offer now the pro 225s are out. Worth looking at for sure.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sounds like lessons are more needed than new bats at present.
Nah! New bats are always the right move! :rolleyes:
Indeed, Ping G series is the standard for forgiving irons. But most brands have something in that category. I've even dabbled in the CB/Blade combo (ego and lust overrode practicality) and been happy with the result.
Would still be worthwhile to have a session or 2 with a Pro all the same. There may be a simple fix that could help to restore strike or consistency, if not not distance.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If your iron game has, "gone to the dogs" as you say, then I don't believe you will find any irons where you notice any more forgiveness than your current set of Ping G25s. They are good clubs.
You might find sets that you like, but the £££s are not worth it until you can be sure of the benefit.
As has previously been said, you need to get your game iron back together first of all. Maybe lessons, practice etc.
I was thinking a bit like you 2 years ago, because I use Ping G10 3 and 4 iron, Ping i10 5-PW. My handicap was drifting up and I finished under the old system 5.6. I took my own advice above and stuck with them. I'm currently 3.0. Had a great year last year and no longer feel the urge for shiny new bats. I might yet do it this year, no definite decision yet.
I'm 10 years older than you and have been playing more than twice as long.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure the irons make that much difference, but if you’ve got a mental block with these, the switch could help.

Going back to the g series seems a sensible starting point.

For what it’s worth, I’ve got the Z565s and I love them.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree with a lot of what's posted, bad case of the shanks sounds like a lesson is needed rather than equipment.
Nothing against new equipment but start out with the problem corrected so you're happy with the new clubs.

RichA

Visit site
It's not the clubs. I've got Ping G425 irons, which felt like cheating 6 months ago. I'm currently struggling to get a 7 iron in the air off a perfect lie.
My 15 HI, on the other hand, has risen to 18 with no signs of a plateau in its skyward trajectory. I'm struggling to shoot 100.
Everyone's telling me to get a lesson, which is great advice that I'm probably going to ignore.

D

Deleted member 3432

It's not the clubs. I've got Ping G425 irons, which felt like cheating 6 months ago. I'm currently struggling to get a 7 iron in the air off a perfect lie.
My 15 HI, on the other hand, has risen to 18 with no signs of a plateau in its skyward trajectory. I'm struggling to shoot 100.
Everyone's telling me to get a lesson, which is great advice that I'm probably going to ignore.

Why not get a lesson, its probably a very simple fix?

Nothing more soul destroying than playing crap golf week after week.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'm still confused from the OP, and some if the replies - which actual set of irons are currently in use?

Will add the expected "it's not the club" ?? More real estate from heel to toe may marginally increase the distance from middle to hosel but you still wouldn't be expecting great results IMO