For those who carry a 2-iron..

evemccc

Visit site
What is your rationale for getting a 2/3 iron...was it for links golf in high wind or distance gapping or just Driver inconsistency?

Does it get used much per round, and if so, I guess it is mostly (or solely) off the tee?

I am thinking it may well be my next club purchase. My reasoning being I'm not that consistent with my Driver and generally prefer hitting irons than anything else (never hit my fairway wood off the fairway). It would have a low trajectory so I am assuming it will be good in wintry, windy conditions as well, so it would add versatility to my bag. Is it a LOT harder than a 4-iron to strike well?

Cheers

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a 21* utility iron so roughly a 3/4 iron I got it for a variety of reasons; one I was able to hit lower shots with it than the hybrid I had, I play on top of a cliff near the sea so the wind can be annoying to deal with, I have a love-hate relationship with the driver and sometimes I like the short grass. I can also hit it off the deck and in light rough so it gets used around, sometimes for bump and run shots around the green.
As for ease of strike I don't have any issues but I prefer it over a normal 3/4 iron.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my pump I used a 2 iron [slightly delofted to nearly a 1]. Took the place of a brassie [No 2 Wood]
Great club for a tight/tactical drive or in a strong wind.
Used to hit my persimmon McGregor driver occasionally off the fairways as well.
I recall hitting 3 two iron shots into a strong wind on a tight par 5.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What is your rationale for getting a 2/3 iron...
Is it a LOT harder than a 4-iron to strike well?

Cheers
I used one off the tee, for links golf into the wind.

And yes, it's noticeably harder to hit well cf a 4-iron. Though effective practicing with one makes 4 and upward noticeably easier to hit!

2 Hybrid is far easier to hit, does the same job (better) and more!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

I have the Ping G410 Crossover 2 iron.
I bought it for several reasons:
- I struggle with hybrids - too much weight in the head can lead to a snappy hook shot.
- It carrys about 10-15 yds short of my 4 wood, at 220-230, v's 230-240, so it fits my gapping nicely as my 4 iron goes 210-215
- It goes lower than a 5 wood, so is better for windy days, especially on very dry courses.

The hollow head style is very good even if not a perfect strike, as the ball still bounces off the head well. But you do need good clubhead speed to get elevation.

Grizzly

Visit site
I've used one in the past, and intend to pick one up at some point in the future, though I do mean one of the driving iron variety such a Ping Crossover rather than a Mizuno blade :)

If you've got enough speed in your swing to loft it, they can be a decent option.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played with 2 members at links courses this year - both decent hitters and both with a 2 iron in play off a number of tees.

Personally I like the idea of a 2 iron - for style points rather than golf performance. I am definately short of the speed to justify carrying one as wouldn't get enough launch - but if I played at a links every week then I'd consider it a lot more as you are going to get sufficient roll out and play under the wind, compared with a hybrid.

I think other than that, it is very unlikely that a 2 iron is going to be the best option at inland courses. I'd be surprised if there are many tour pros that even carry a 2 iron, other than for links events. They will be using fairway woods and hybrids for those kind of distances.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've got a few sets with them but they're all old school lofts so around 20 to 22 degrees.

Most of the time I only tend to hit them from a tee because as JamesR said, you need good clubhead speed to get the ball in the air.
When you hit them well though the feeling is great.

The Ben Sayers Mentor set that I'm considering for the H4H trip includes a 2 iron.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a 2 iron in the bag, was a bit of an impulse purchase with some vouchers won in an open, but I absolutely love it. Started tracking my rounds on myRoundPro recently and it's early days (only tracked 4 rounds), but I'm hitting 67% of fairways with the 2 iron compared to 34% with the driver, so I'm more accurate and not losing much yardage. The flight is great too, nothing quite like hitting a bullet draw down the middle with a 2 iron.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As someone of increasing years and play at a links course in the North of Scotland, ive gone the other way, got rid of the 2 iron a couple of years ago for an 18 deg hybrid, easier to hit, goes further and van hit it high or low and this year swapped my 3 iron for a 22 deg hybrid, goes same dist as the 3 iron, but easier to hit when you are not swinging so well

CountLippe

Visit site
- I struggle with hybrids - too much weight in the head can lead to a snappy hook shot.
- It carrys about 10-15 yds short of my 4 wood, at 220-230, v's 230-240, so it fits my gapping nicely as my 4 iron goes 210-215
- It goes lower than a 5 wood, so is better for windy days, especially on very dry courses.

The hollow head style is very good even if not a perfect strike, as the ball still bounces off the head well. But you do need good clubhead speed to get elevation.

I got the 3 Crossover as I also struggle with hybrids.
Took a bit of getting used to as the shaft is long, but its a great go to '200 yard club'. Off centre hits go straight.
Its that straight, i use it for shots out of trees as I feel i can thread it through the eye of a needle and stays low with an easy swing.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I carry an old Mizuno T Zoid 2 iron. Mainly use it for tight drives but also off the deck.

I hit it a similar distance to my 4 iron but with a lower trajectory so it’s useful at our place, as it’s often breezy.

It does, however, have the smallest sweet spot. Lovely when it comes out the screws, less so if I hit it off centre. Especially in the depths of winter. :eek::eek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a period of a few years when I carried a 1 iron (todays 2) and no woods. I used to hit it around 240 off a tee and around 200 - 220 of the deck. Those distances are all you need where I play.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cally X12 1 iron with original steel shaft in my bag a few years now. I bought it originally for a game at Royal County Down, hit it really well all day and decided to try it round certain holes at my home club and its been there ever since.
Its good for short par 4s to leave a full wedge and also a couple of 450ish dogleg par 4 holes where a driver flirts with going too far before the hole turns. I do sometimes use it for first and second shots if needed on the par 5's if driver isnt going well that day. The Callaway iron is a little easier to hit than most 1i's and can even use it to punch back into the fairway if i need a low recovery.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back in the day, a 1 or 2 iron was fairly common in a half decent golfers bag. And mine. They were probably equivalent to a 2 or 3 now, but with old technology a blade 2 iron still needed some hitting. Modern TM UDIs and stuff like that is a lot easier to hit. And the old balata or surlyn balls didn't make it any easier.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

What is the loft on that club?
I’ve got a G700 4-iron with the Powerspec loft and it’s just 18.5*. It’s quite chunky though and wondering what the Cross-over would be like.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I carry an old Mizuno T Zoid 2 iron. Mainly use it for tight drives but also off the deck.

I hit it a similar distance to my 4 iron but with a lower trajectory so it’s useful at our place, as it’s often breezy.

It does, however, have the smallest sweet spot. Lovely when it comes out the screws, less so if I hit it off centre. Especially in the depths of winter. :eek::eek:
got a Tzoid 1 iron, great for buttering toast, golf not so.