Footjoy Athletics Shoes

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking at getting a pair of these but not 100% sure of the grip afforded by the moulded spikes as opposed to the normal replaceable SoftSpikes. Does anybody have any experience with these or similar shoes that can shed some light?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have some Footjoy AWD spikeless and also some Adidas spikeless, more grips on them than the Footjoy model imo. The AWD pattern is slightly different to the model you are looking at but not by much. For 95% of the time the spikeless are fine and I doubt I would buy spiked shoes again. For the 5% I might have one slight slip per round, a tee shot on the 1st seems to be the way. After that I just make sure my feet are firmed up when I take my stance and it doesn't happen again. I have never lost grip on a fairway oddly enough.

The questions to ask are, is your course prone to wet conditions, is it hilly? If the answer to either is largely no then I would get these shoes and not worry. I have not played Roundhay but I have played Moortown and Alwoodley which I am sure you know and likely to have played based on your signature. If I was a member of either of those, I wish, then I would happily buy these shoes for those courses. I hope that helps.

I find the spikeless more comfy and more courses allow you in bars etc wearing them whereas spiked are still mainly a no no.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't buy spineless shoes again, played various brands spineless shoes and they are not any more comfortable than top line spiked shoes and also they dont have the same stability as spiked. Spikeless are a bit iffy in wet conditions especially on tees when your hitting driver. They are fine in the dry but even then they can still slip.